1-2-3-4 (The Wicked + The Divine Fanthread)

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by KarrinBlue, Jun 30, 2016.

1. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

We didn't seem to have a thread for this, which I thought was a shame, so! A fanthread for Kieron Gillian's 'The Wicked + The Divine,' a comic that I have just caught up on!

So, thoughts, speculation, favorite characters? I'm unnecessarily fond of the Trash Goth Duo of Game of Thrones and Terrible Puns (aka Morrigan and Baphomet), myself.

• Like x 3
  2. blue

blue hightown funk you up

yes yes yessss

I read up to... the second to last one in volume three? Maybe? I read all the guest-artist ones, those were rad.

I miss
    lucifer so much. ):

• Like x 1
  3. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

YES YES YES

i totally called baphomet not being a proper god.

also i read a huge chunk of the white goddess last year and goddamn is it a compelling read. I'm pretty sure it's all bullshit but it's such fascinating bullshit

holy SHIT PERSEPHONE HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

• Like x 1
  4. KarrinBlue

Wait, @Bel Capricorn

Technically he IS a proper god, Nergal did exist! He just didn't want to be called Nergal because he is a GIANT DORK who thought Baphomet would be taken more seriously. Because GIANT DORK

Also I think it's hilarious that the Threadless store's items almost all have major plot spoilers on them...

• Like x 1
  5. Zin

Zin Professional Lurker

6. strictly quadrilateral

@KarrinBlue i meant
    that he's only there because of the morrigan. That was confirmed a few issues ago.

7. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

FUUUUUCK okay just caught up.

What great characters tho. wow.

• Like x 1
  8. strictly quadrilateral

I love all the characters and I just want them to be happy

except ananke fuck her tbh

• Like x 1
  9. Soul

Soul Covered in bees

Woden is also p gross. but he's got a great design. Kind of want to see his face.

• Like x 1
  10. KarrinBlue

I dunno, I could stand to see Woden unhappy.

• Like x 2
  11. strictly quadrilateral

I don't hate him NEARLY as much as I hate her, but yes, he's second

• Like x 1
  12. KarrinBlue

Also you know what I want to see

Sakhmet vs Badb, no holds barred, two war goddesses enter one leaves FIGHT SCENE EXTRAVAGANZA.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    • Like x 1
  13. albedo

albedo metasperg

New issue! Spoilers!

One, I fucking love Nergal. This is from last time, but. Cameron you motherfucking nerd. "NOOO I CAN'T BE NAMED AFTER A CONAN AND/OR HELLBLAZER VILLAINNNNNN".

Two, also from last time. Inanna. Ananke. Cameron didn't actually kill someone. I am of such mixed feelings, because it's such a good unreliable narrator thing, I wasn't expecting that twist at all! But I also kind of liked that Cameron is a sympathetic person who had done something unambiguously awful, and now he's... kind of done nothing wrong except be an idiot teenager? Such mixed feelings. /chinhands.

Three, weaponizing the kiss party. WEAPONIZING THE KISS PARTY OH MY GOD THIS IS HILARIOUS.

This battle is awesome.

This really feels like a transitional issue, but man, I am so hyped for the next one.

• Like x 1
  14. KarrinBlue

AAAAGH The comic site I usually use is down... I should probably just by the ebook version, I mean I want to support the creators.

15. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, that's what I'm doing. XP It means I'm double-buying, since I'm also buying the trades, but... I have a mighty need.

16. KarrinBlue

I bought the first collected book at the bookstore... God I wish there was a comic store anywhere near me but they're all a pretty good drive away.

I'd want the trades just to see all the alt covers and notes and such. And the writer notes definitely make it seem like the preferred format is book style.

17. albedo

albedo metasperg

The trades are gorgeous and I love them. The individual issues do have some added stuff in them too, though, I think.

I feel you. XP I don't normally have the spoons to go to the physical comic store, and individual issues give me sensory issues. Something about the paper upsets me.

18. strictly quadrilateral

I buy the issues when I can get my hand on them, and the volumes always.

19. KarrinBlue

Oh, Ammy... So she got a power boost from Woden. That's a mite suspicous
    Also Sakhmet looks good wow.
    Gotta say Ananke had a good thought, telling Baal
    Wow Morri is small, I thought of her as taller than Baph
    Also WOW that's an escalation. Things are going Maenads apparently
    Oh god Baph RIGHT to the heart.
    ...are these Valkyrie in robot mode? crepy
    FUCK
    WELL I GUESS AMMY KNOWS NOW
    OK YOU GUYS POST THAT ONLINE RIGHT THIS SECOND
    god dammit Morrigan is a WAR GODDESS
    SAKHMET SHOULD NOT BE ALE TO ONEHITKO HER
    well I knew that the owl confession was faked but still
    MEGAVALKYRIE
    that is WAY over the top for a sacrifice machine
    and... well that dagger looks old

• Like x 1
  20. Petra

Petra space case

I'm up to Chapter 6 now. It's really interesting! It's nicely mythic but also... ties into celebrity culture and the nature of inspiration and sacrifice, I think? When I heard of the premise, it reminded me of something I'd heard about Aztec religion, which was that the perception that human sacrifices were always unwilling prisoners was inaccurate. Like, uh... there'd be religious festivals where a volunteer would act in the role of a deity for the length of the festival, getting luxury, fame, and honor in exchange for being sacrificed as an avatar at the end, ensuring the safety of the world. Of course, I'm no expert in Aztec religion, and a lot of it is clouded by conquistador destruction of information and deliberate propaganda depicting the Aztec peoples as monsters, but the basic concept there seems fairly similar to what's going on with the Pantheon. I'm also curious about how their only role seems to be inspiration, where they don't even try to make big societal changes because it's 'not their place', and when Luci uses her divine power for legitimate self-defense, it's her downfall.

It's not like the bullets could hurt Luci, and probably by extension Amaterasu and Sakhmet were probably perfectly safe. But there were a lot of people in that room that aren't immune to bullets, and while Luci was bombastic about it, her killing the shooters likely saved lives. Did the thing with the judge just happen before she got around to making that defense? She's not a moron. It's also really interesting that Ananke killing the judge was designed to make Luci seem like a loose cannon and spiteful murderer, as opposed to the kills Luci actually did, which were, again, reasonable self-defense of other people if a bit overkill.

Also really interested that the thing Tara did to make everyone hate her was something to do with trying to get attention as herself and not as a divine entity. Like, it's okay for Woden to be Woden and Baal to make giant portraits of himself but as soon as one of them tries to do something connected with her pre-divine self, she's a horrible attention whore worthy of horrific bullying? There's something very broken with the Pantheon system, and Laura isn't objective enough to see it.

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice