3D Printing!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Kodachi, Jun 16, 2016.

?

Do you has one?

1. Yes!

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. No, but soon it will be mine!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, but I want's it!

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  4. Not up my alley.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Wat?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Anyone else here have a 3D printer? I have a Robox (well technically my employer has it but they let me do what I want!) and it's working pretty well. I occasionally actually make prototype parts for work with it but most of the time it's printing dungeon tiles or D&D or Warhammer mini's. We have the dual material head on order but they aren't shipping yet, hopefully within the next month or so. That will let me use dissolvable support material, which will help build quality a lot when there are overhangs.

Another thing I want to try with the dual material head is to mix rigid and flexible materials, like to make a gauntlet that instead of having pivots has flexible sections so it's all one piece.

I had a Stratasys (big name in 3D printers) sales guy make some demo parts on a $30k printer and they weren't as good as I could get out of the Robox. His jaw just about hit the floor when I showed him a detailed Warhammer epic scale Leman Russ tank and told him it came out of a $1500 printer.

• Like x 2
  2. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

*camps put even though my only experience with 3D printing comes from the book the peripheral

3. Hobo

Hobo HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA

I am super hyped to get some illegal Warhammer blueprints and print those motherfuckers out, then I will drown in Lizardmen and Tyranids. How would you say that the small printers do on smaller models? I've heard that the cheaper printers can have issues with shit like skinks and what have you.

4. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

There are plenty of free models on Thingiverse, including Warhammer-like minis. If it's not an exact copy it's not illegal. As far as print quality goes the size of the printer doesn't have a lot to do with it. Positioning repeatability, layer thickness, heated build platform, a full enclosure, and leveling / calibrating functions all contribute to build quality. You can get a printer for $300 but it will probably suck; I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before deciding on the Robox.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice