About the ignore/block feature

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by Acey, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So here's the thing: I have a couple users on ignore. This is because I am uncomfortable being around them. Unfortunately, they are still able to post in my vent, and react to my posts. I'm positive I'm not the only one in this situation.

Is there a way--and if there isn't due to Xenforo limitations (or if you think it would be too potentially-drama-making), I totally get it--to add a block feature? Like, something where the person can't see/interact with your posts?

Thanks! <3

• Agree x 3
  2. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Seebs has said in the past they don’t want to do this because it (and I’m paraphrasing) gives people power to talk shit behind the blocked person’s back and become like tumblr

So I have a very pessimistic outlook on how your request will turn out, unfortunately. For the record I would love for that sort of feature to be implemented, perhaps in tandem with ignore. You can’t see their stuff and they can’t see yours.

• Informative x 3
  3. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

As though people aren't already doing exactly this, without blocking.

4. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

The difference is the potential blocked person, as it stands right now, could confront the hypothetical shit talker

If they were blocked a la tumblr they could not

5. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

Yeah, but like. That really does seem like an unnecessary amount of drama. Even if some of us feed off of the wankery and require it to function.

Alternatively: Acey can ask [redacted] nicely not to comment on their personal posts and leave them on ignore so as not to see her updating more commonly used threads. :)

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  6. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Pardon? I wasn’t aware this thread was made in direct response to that particular user nor did Acey bring them up.

7. Acey

It wasn't made in direct response to her, no. It was made as a general request, because I know a lot of other people who also have (assorted) users on ignore due to discomfort with those users. You have a good point though, Ouija, as does Seebs.

As for asking nicely, I am, unfortunately, terrified of conflict and drama, and I am concerned that saying "I don't want you in my thread," no matter how nicely, would possibly start drama. :/

• Witnessed x 2
  8. lex 3.0

lex 3.0 New Member

so if it doesn't make a difference if people are blocked or not with regards to how much shittalking goes on, why does it matter?

not having blocks as an option on this site for socializing among the commonly mentally ill is stupid in my opinion. i would love to block some people on here. the peace of mind it would bring me to know i cant be harassed by them anymore would be huge. because for some of us, that's the kind of interaction we can't avoid right now. maybe the lack of control in that area is what lends to so much wank in brainbent threads

• Agree x 1
  9. Acey

I’m really sorry. I shouldn’t have made this thread, it’s just gonna cause more drama. :(

10. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Acey no :( don’t feel bad. Like I said I would love a block feature and I think it would be effective if it worked both ways (if you block someone you subsequently can’t see their posts either), I just know seebs has, in the past, denied the request

They may have changed their mind! This could be something that was worth bringing up now, as the “too much like tumblr” opinion is old and might have changed since first being stated

• Agree x 1
  11. Gee

Gee the mail never fails

@Acey your immediate defense is kind of grating on me as though everyone is supposed to give sympathy.

I apologize for calling that particular detail out, it was petty of me.

However. I don't think two-way blocking would be good for the community, personal opinion. I'd use it tons tbqh. But that doesn't mean it would make for a healthy community at large.

ETA: missed a word

• Agree x 2
  12. A Six Legged Terror

A Six Legged Terror Just a strill named Jorin

If it helps at all acey I've been wanting something like that for a while because a certain someone cannot fuck off out of my thread. I don't think we're going to get it sadly, but as someone who personally REALLY DOES NOT WANT TO EVER SEE A PERSON AGAIN who has to deal with the fuck still reading my thread and liking my posts and shit I do see a need for it. And this is after I've asked them repeatedly to leave and never come back to my thread.

Asking is doing diddly dick.

• Witnessed x 2
  13. A Six Legged Terror

A Six Legged Terror Just a strill named Jorin

Yeah see they're doing it again.

14. Acey

I'm defensive because I felt attacked. I apologize for that myself.

15. 3strim

3strim Professional Accidental Rater

From a forum history standpoint, I know that ratings have been used maliciously in the past and as an active way to encroach on (vent) threads and posts made by those that the person knows has blocked them, with little to no ability to do much about it beyond asking them to remove the ratings given. So even a midway point akin to Discord - where the ignored posts are still visible, but the blockee can not add a rating to the blocker's posts, nor will any form of a ping go through - would be a vast improvement on the situation as a whole. I'm not entirely certain if Xenforo's coding allows for it however.

edit: fix'd not to nor.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
  16. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

I apologize if you were talking about someone else. I only recognize your icon because I was poking your history for an interaction that would have caused any tone of your response. As far as I can tell, you were a spectator?

I don't get tone very well. It did sting, I did verbalize discontentment, but it wasn't worth you hearing it, and I'm sorry for letting you know that it happened after I got over it. I think the expression is "it takes two to tango"? If you're asking nicely and it starts drama, there's a chance the other person is in the wrong.

Edit: Oh right... I'm not sure what the best administrative course is, but I'm in favor of drama-buffers.

17. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

For what it's worth, the short answer is "there is no feature like that", because Xenforo's underlying assumption is that if a user won't respect a boundary, they'll get banned. I don't want to do bans, but that leaves us with a feature gap for controlling bad behavior.

Note, though: You're allowed to report people for harassing behavior. Even if the software doesn't directly provide tools for stopping it, we're willing to do things like "talk directly about this and confirm that it's a problem".

• Informative x 7
  18. Acey

This is really good to know, thank you!

19. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

As someone who's known as "the person who got all pissy about being banned" I do support "A Stern Talking To" as an intermediate step. I even support 8-72 hour bans as an additional step, maybe a week+6ish hours or a month if it's really bad.

20. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

I think you misunderstand. We don't do bans.

Not "we don't do bans immediately". Not "we do only temporary bans". People get banned if and only if they actually request it, or are spammers. (Like, "spambots advertising fake pills" and such.)

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice