Advice for new rat parents?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Nertbugs, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

Me and my bf are planning on getting two rats. We've done our research and are confident that we could provide a good home for them. But we're still looking for any anecdotal advice that people might be able to provide.

We're getting two males. We've found a big cage with multiple solid floored levels. We've coached ourselves on what to feed them and cleaning schedules, etc.

So, any Kintsugijin that own/have owned rats, do you have any advice?

TYIA!

• Like x 2
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Make ABSOLUTELY sure they can't possibly reach anything you don't want to be both chewed up and pissed on, because they will.

3. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

If they can get their head through an opening (under a door, between cage bars etc) then they can squish to fit the entire rat through

And it may be obvious but they might be curious about piercings, earrings, bandaids etc and try to bite/pull them. This can probably be discouraged by making some kind of short high pitched squeak-type noise (i can sort of make a rat like squeak by making like an "f" shape with my lips and inhaling?) to communicate "hey that hurts"

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    • Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice