Advice on getting dyed black hair back to bleach blonde?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by afarewelltokings, Nov 10, 2019.

1. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

So I had dyed my hair black, but now I completely regret it and want it back to blonde so I can do a different color. What do yall think would be the best approach to getting it back to that dye-able stage without killing my hair even further?

2. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

ooooof, witnessed. disclaimer, i'm far from a hair expert and there are likely people on here more knowledgeable than me!

but i have had my hair dyed black for over a year now (summer of 2018). i use box dyes currently and have it done at home, but i had it done in a salon initially. i had to convince my stylist to dye my hair black--they tried to talk me into a dark brown--and that's because of exactly the scenario you're describing. black dye is notoriously hard to get out of hair--i re-dye mine about once a month to touch-up roots, don't use any color preserving shampoo, and wash with hot water, and notice very little if any fade between touch-ups--and anything you do is going to damage it pretty severely.

you can wait for your hair to grow out and cut off all the dyed black to avoid further damage, but otherwise you're in for several sessions (at least two, it could take as many as five) of bleaching spread out over the course of weeks or months, and that may not get you back to bleach blonde. you're likely to get a copper/orange/red-brown color after the first time, and you'll need to wait at minimum 2-3 more weeks (longer is better) before treating it again. my stylist had black hair done once, and even after several months of cuts (and treatments to add red), her ends were still black. i definitely wouldn't recommend trying to remove the color immediately, and once you do initially try to lighten it, you should be using damage-repairing shampoo and conditioner between to give your hair the best chance of recovery. you can also use color extractors/dye removers before bleaching to try and get it lighter, but that won't get you back to bleach blonde even after multiple applications. if your hair is thin i would be really cautious bleaching it at all, because it can literally break off in your hands if damaged too much.

i've heard of people having some success washing with dish soap (or other soaps designed to remove grease and oils), but this mostly seems to be for people with naturally dark hair, requires several washes to get significantly lighter, and is drying on the hair. i've never tried it so i can't speak to it, but you could try this if bleaching or growing it out aren't options that'll work for you. i'm sorry about your hair ): good luck and i hope you can get it to something you like!

• Informative x 1
  3. afarewelltokings

afarewelltokings the internet's #1 Julia Child fan

Thank you!!! I tried dish soap last night and it took out the remnants of the pink from August that never came out out instead of the black dye

• Like x 1
  4. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

black is a bitch to get out.

What i'd recommend is talking to a stylist about bleaching it in stages, with keratin treatments and hydration treatments between them to try and not fry off your hair, until it is light enough that you can put a color that matches your roots and then not touching your hair again until it has grown out and been cut. use a good reconstructive shampoo and conditioner and as many hair masks as possible at home. it is going to be super drying and your hair will get elastic and fragile, so staying away from blowdriers and heat sources is also recommended

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice