after the PTSD diagnosis

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Fucker, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

alright so yesterday i was finally Officially diagnosed with ptsd

actually i had been diagnosed for months but they forgot to tell me but then we did the screening again so im like,, double diagnosed

ANYWAYS

i have two questions,

how do i tell my parents who are convinced i dont have any diagnosis and often react in agressive ways to the idea (im scared they may lash out on me/compromise my therapy/dont believe me)

Is there any legal implications to PTSD? disability status? i already have compromised school and im in 10th grade, will this give me certain benefits/not so benefits et cetera. idk how to ask this question, does this show up on my CV or legal documents? does this have literally any implications proffessionally or academically

thank you

• Like x 1
  2. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

Does anyone have "coming out" advice???

3. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

if you have any official paperwork or something that you can show that might help convince them?

if they trust your therapist/psych maybe you can have them help you tell your parents?

4. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

we are gonna have a meeting with my therapist to discuss it, but my parents doubt them and i hope they manage to convince my parents i actually have PTSD, the meeting is scedruled on tuesday and im mainly worried about retailation after the news break

5. fractalLettuce

fractalLettuce a disaster cabbage

As far as legal limitations go, I don't believe it'll flag to people like the DMV or social security offices unless you specifically release those records to them. That's a sort of nice thing about HIPPA.

Regarding telling your parents, do you have friends that could come get you or let you stay with them overnight if things go super badly? I know that that was a strategy I used once or twice in high school. Do what you need to do to feel safe, or at least safer, in the lead up to telling them may dull the edge off the anxiety a little bit.

ETA: I've been diagnosed with PTSD since a month before I turned 17, I'm now 28, and it has only ever been a problem with like, teaching friends/significant others triggers as they come up, and it's on file with the university because my DSS counselor thought it prudent just in case something came up that interfered with academics.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  6. NatashaBezmena

NatashaBezmena Unnamed&Unseen

Even with the diagnosis, if parents refuse to acknowledge it, they're going to continue refusing to acknowledge it (my parents know and think that praying-the-PTSD-away works, so ... yeah). It's manageable though, as long as they let you do what you need to do in order to treat it. I've also found that if I simply call the PTSD "anxiety", or "hypervigilance" or specifically refer to the symptom that's present, my parents are a lot more accepting and accommodating when I'm with them. I've also had long periods where those symptoms aren't present, which is nice.

Where are you from? I'm in Canada, and *if* I disclose my diagnosis insurance gets pricier, the hoops to jump through to rent an apartment or buy a house multiply, but I have the option of not saying anything to anyone (though as soon as the student loan office knows, EVERYBODY knows ...)

In terms of 'coming out' tips ... the label doesn't change who you are at this point. Those who matter won't mind, and those who mind DEFINITELY don't matter. I don't advertise to everybody, but my closest friends know.

Hang in there ... I was diagnosed unofficially at eighteen, but didn't have the resources to get an official diagnosis until I was twenty-two. Now I'm twenty-seven and mostly making things work (except for the occasional meltdown, like today ...) but it is what it is.

Positive vibes being sent to you.

7. NatashaBezmena

What kind of retaliation are you worried about? Will you be safe?

8. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

i have my dad to visit. hes the one im least worried about, very kind and understanding and i just realized ill be staying with him on monday so yay. and thanks for the legal resources
    --
    yeah thats what im worried about i guess. like i have really bad panic attacks and breakdowns that have lasted a month at a time and i get told to shrug it off at best/am actively triggered by them asking intrusive questions and taking away groundingobjects "for my own good" and basially im very good at masking my emotions and just dissasociating because the "comfort" makes it 100 times worse and i wind up comforting my parents and being voulnerable instead

if i call it anxiety i get blamed for not sleeping well enough and eating badly and there is NO comfort at all from my parents but i just hope if they find out its actually a "serious" disorder they learn to respect my boundaries and listen to me for once
    (and stop demeaning me because "it could have been worse/you used to be a happy child" like no fcking shit)

i havent had a breakdown in a while but i have those casual things like anger/anxiety attacks, flinching and snapping at people (i try not to let it show but like when people startle me i tend to accidentally yell at them and ugh) i also am def not a "regular member of society" as i attend school 20% of the time, am almost never allowed to leave the house and i see my friends outside of school maybe once every 6 months
    yeah
    (i live in norway btw)
    also if im coming off as angry im just a little frustrated at the situation in general no ill towards any of yall, thanks for helping out

9. Fucker

Fucker Well-Known Member

just being lashed out at verbally, being denied more privileges, compromised therapy and being forced to explain myself interrogation style with a lot of not being able to leave and being asked VERY personal questions n shit

10. NatashaBezmena

Thought of you today ... how are things?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice