Anecdata: righty or lefty?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Fish butt, Jun 11, 2015.

?

Right-handed or left-handed?

1. Righty tighty

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Lefty loosey

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  3. I do BOTH!

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  1. Fish butt

Fish butt Everything is coming together, slowly but surely.

So I'm lefthanded, and I've always been fascinated by any correlations between handedness and certain braintypes or thinking patterns. Now, the right/left brain has been debunked a while ago I believe (right brain/left handers being creative and left brain/right handers being analytical) but I'm still interested if there's ANY grain of truth to left handers being more creative and if it's linked to any kind of brainweird at all.

So, how many of us are left-handed? In my case, I have no idea about what brainweird I specifically am, Nothing is diagnosed with me! For a while I found ASD sorta/kinda likely but as there's a history of schizofrenia and manic-depression in my family, it seems to me to be way more likely there's something of them in me (specifically the manic-depression). And I think I know for certain I have ADHD, (the fact that straight up black coffee makes me fall asleep seems to be a big indicator) but well I don't know! Who knows! Spin the wheel! :D

2. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

I'm right handed.

I also believe you kind of have to be analytical to be any good at being creative.

• Like x 1
  3. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

You left out us ambidextrous! (insert rage thingy here)

• Like x 1
  4. Fish butt

OH NO! Will fix immediately!

@Lissa Lysik'an Fixed it! :D Now you're part of the club! ;)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  5. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

I'm primarily right handed but can do basically any motion type thing with my left hand almost or as well(except writing. I mean I CAN write with my left but I haven't practiced in awhile so it's really sloppy and slow- still legible though.). This may be because I was apparently ambidextrous until I was around 4, according to parents. I think it's a really neat subject too btw, even if the whole right brain/left brain thing has been debunked.

Oh, also as far as brain weird goes: very probably sperg, possibly ADHD, also probably the classic anxiety/depression combo

• Like x 1
  6. Lissa Lysik'an

Lissa Lysik'an Dragon-loving Faerie

Now I can answer. Y'all have seen my art stuff (CGI and NSFW writings) and so I think I am a creative type sometimes. I'm also a software engineer because I love the rules and predictability of it (and my brain thinks computer languages make sense and natural languages don't). Definitely autistic - all the nonverbal and non-social etc - diagnosed as a child once they stopped trying to blame my oddities on being mentally deficient (I'm a member of Mensa) and deaf (I hear just fine, thanks - it's gibberish, but I hear it :) ). Back in the 80's girls weren't considered for autism until all other excuses failed.

• Like x 1
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Left handed as all dicks, though I can do some things with my right hand of course. I've got OCD and anxiety issues. It is rare for me not to be anxious really. Also I'm epileptic. As far as creativity and thinking are concerned I work well with things like language. Language is my jam. Grammar just clicks with me and it's fun. Also I memorize like a motherfucking pro. Music is hard for me to grasp though as is math. Especially the more abstract mathy things that I don't feel I can connect to things that I can definitely see. Weirdly the abstract madness of Buddhist cosmology sticks in my head? I write a lot and I love to act. I've been told I am good at both, though I don't exactly agree with this. Other art things I can do are paper folding and music. Though with music it is just my memorizing sheet music and then playing that. I can't hear worth dicks and everything I learned to do was just a matter of memorizing.

Though really I think there is not enough credit given to those who do are artsy when it comes to memorization shit. Especially with the paper folding. Yes it is a lovely hobby but GOD DAMMIT IT IS A RESPECTABLE ART FORM AND THE MOST BUDDHIST OF ARTS AND PEOPLE ARE JUST LIKE ANYONE CAN FOLD CRANES.

• Like x 1
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Right handed, maybe sperg, usually assessed as 'typical cancer/water sign creative kid'
    Though I do some odd things with my left hand for no real reason other than doing them with my right hand would feel wrong...

• Like x 1
  9. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

Left, for writing. Yet some stuff I do with right.

Possible tiny brainweird, not diagnosed.

• Like x 1
  10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Extremely left handed. I can err, hold thing in my right hand? And type. Yeah, that´s about it. If the action is at all complicated I need my left hand.
    My school hated it, but my parents made sure they couldn´t do anything about it. (Shop class didn´t have left handed tools. Have you ever tried to use a heavy and potentially sharp thing with you off hand?)

• Like x 1
  11. Fish butt

@littlemissCodeless god yes I have. Also the upsetting prevalence of right-handed scissors everywhere. Can't they have ambidextrous scissors??? There are still places that try to discourage left-handedness? That's backward!

@Aondeug I would argue that memorisation from sheet music is EXTREMELY important for classical musicians - so yes, it is integral to certain art forms! I also did paper-folding myself, but I never advanced to more complicated shapes than the crane, unfortunately! Still, it relaxes me very well.

12. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

seebsian sperg, very probably adhd, righthanded. tried training my left hand, but i always forget after a few hours. hm. maybe try again.
    everyone tells me i'm so creative and so talented, but.... yeah ::/ nowhere near the level of some people i've come across.

i can do simple motor stuff like cutting stuff and typing and opening stuff with my left hand, but everything that requires fine control, I use my right hand. Possibly a practice thing.

• Like x 1
  13. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Anxiety/depression/vague reality issues currently without a specific diagnosis/ADHD/possibly autistic. I write and (sometimes, rarely) draw, and I wanted to go into theater but the local programs here are seriously hardcore and it would have been too much for me to keep up with given my mental state at the time.. Pseudo-ambidextrous. Fine motor in my right hand but things that require less control I tend to default left, or I alternate hands. I was more solidly ambidextrous/leaning lefty as a kid but I had a shitty student teacher in kindergarten who didn't believe in lefties and always got mad at me for not using my right. So I switched hands and lost the fine control in my left to disuse. If I put the effort and time in I might be able to train it back up but eh. I'm used to leaning right.

• Like x 1
  14. Elaienar

Elaienar "sorta spooky"

Right-handed, but I use my left hand for a lot and could probably do more if I practiced a bit. I can use forks and spoons okay with my left hand, and write (terribly) and draw (horribly) with it.

I'm not diagnosed with anything, but I have some symptoms of depression and a "seems autistic-ish" from a few people after I submitted The Form here. I don't really think of myself as creative, but I write fiction and draw webcomics and do crafty stuff occasionally so ... I guess I am?

Further anecdata: all eight other members of my immediate family are right-handed, and all of them also draw, write, and/or craft. And if I'm autistic, most of them are too, probably.

• Like x 1
  15. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

well, i dont know how much ettiquette was shoved down your throat as a kid but you are kind of supposed to be able to do that when you are also holding another eating utensil. Fork + knife combo means knife in right and fork in left hand...

dont mind me my parents were just very adamant i know how to properly behave myself in restaurants we can't afford. what ever.

• Like x 1
  16. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

I'm right handed fine motor but left handed gross motor. Back when I did hockey I held the stick left handed, and the same for fencing with the sword. I write and draw with my right hand.

• Like x 1
  17. Fish butt

@BPD anon I agree completely about being analytical to be creative. That's part of the left/right brain myth - that creatives would somehow be more in touch with their emotions and less prone to 'rationalism'. It's part why I don't really like 'flow' theory that much - sure, when you're creating you go into a flow, but that's only part of the process. It's like a 10% part of the total process if you ask me. The other 90% of my process involves a lot of thinking WHAT I actually want to make, HOW I want to make it, and WHY I want to make it. It's hard thinking!

Here, let me butcher this quote from Multatuli:

• Like x 1
  18. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

Right handed, but I'm a lot more dexterous with my left hand for pretty much anything except writing/drawing because I played viola for a decade and only stopped last year.

Also my handwriting is about equally bad (subclinical but my brother has dysgraphia so.... mine's not from lack of trying either) from either hand, but in different ways. The only advantage to using my right is that it takes a fifth as long.

• Like x 1
  19. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I'm righthanded, and the only thing I do with my left hand almost as well as with my right hand is make surgical knots. And that only when I practice a lot :P

• Like x 1
  20. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Not diagnosed with anything in particular, might have brainweird. I am functionally right-hand, my left hand and arm having relatively bad coordination, but I drum as if left-handed and I can solve a Rubik's cube one-handed with roughly equal proficiency with either hand.
    Edit: I can also type on computer keyboards with just my left hand at decent speed.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice