Animal Sightings

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Ephemeramuse, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ephemeramuse

Ephemeramuse Member

If you're anything like me animal sightings (domestic or wild) can really make your day. Would love to hear stories about everyone's recent animal encounters. Pictures are nice too if you have them. Though probably best to put behind a read more if it's something more on the creepy crawly side. (not that I mind spiders and snakes and the like. But I know some people are sensitive to them and I have no wish to disturb anyone.)

A couple of my own sightings...

1. After working at the art studio I've been at for about a year I've finally spotted the building cat. His name is Biscuit. The first time I saw him he was on the shy side so I just was like "hey kitty kitty." then left.

The next time I saw him he came over to me and got to pet this precious kitty. A+ kitty cat.

2. Wild turkey (we get those in New England.) mommy and her two baby gobblets.

• Like x 4
  2. Carnivorous Moogle

Carnivorous Moogle whose baby is this

there is a fluffy black kitty who wanders around the neighborhood, and i am determined to get to pet them before i move (because 'i wanted to pet a cat' is probably not an explanation for hanging around a neighborhood at odd hours that will hold any water) :3

• Like x 2
  3. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

We've got foxes, though I don't see them often. Sometimes I see some kind of mustelid, probably a beech marten, when I'm out during the night.

Our high school had squirrels.

• Like x 1
  4. a small fis)(

a small fis)( 26 people in a trench coat

glubs!!!! i went to an aquarium lately if that counts oh gosh!!! lots of pretty fishies!! they had a tunnel with sharks and super big rays too! :D

• Like x 1
  5. albedo

albedo metasperg

Heee. I live across the street from a farm, so we get foxes and cats and bunnies and muskrats and turkeys and coyotes and red-tailed hawks all the time. It's pretty neat, though turkeys are BRAZEN ANIMALS WHO DO NOT FEAR CARS.

• Like x 4
  6. iff

iff Well-Known Member

I visited the Alhambra recently and (it was gorgeous and) there were so many cats hanging around :3
    rps20160826_232702.jpg
    rps20160826_232600.jpg

• Like x 8
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I'm sad because the neighbors with the super-friendly black cat (with a white patch under her chin) moved away, but Gobi the cross-eyed polydactyl tabby is still around! He is also very friendly and obviously well taken care of. He's a creamy pale gray tabby with the most beautiful blue eyes. I'll get a pic of him next time I see him. He likes to roll on your feet if you bend down to pet him.

Other sightings:
    • Cardinals
    • Lots of dogs at the dogpark (a big Samoyed playing in a pool!)
    • Candy-striped leafhoppers (they're bright blue and pink bugs!)
    • A red-tailed hawk being mobbed by crows
    • A fox squirrel
    • A cat sitting in an apartment window; stood up when it saw us, meowed
    Edit: I love the cat drinking in the post above this!

• Like x 5
  8. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I work at outdoors at a tourist attraction that allows dogs in. Notable animal spottings so far have been.

• A 4 month old saint bernard puppy that looked like a full grown lab with a square head
    • an old english sheep dog. it was beautiful
    • the tiniest pup. i don't know what kind it was. it was about as big as a guinea pig
    • some really cool lizards with blue tails. I haven't picked one up yet, but I'm working on it
    • this awesome bee that lives in a hole in the roof of my shop. She's in and out all day. I love her and her bumble-butt
    • in theory there's a cat who lives in the park too, but I've never seen it

• Like x 5
  9. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

Today while out pokehunting I saw a hare. They're pretty common around here, although this one was more out in the open than I usually see them early in the evening. I also saw a lot of crows, including a pair that were following along behind an old man and his dog in a rather hopeful sort of manner - I think he may have been feeding them crumbs. :3

Hedgehogs are a common animal around here, although I've only personally seen one since I moved here, and that was a couple of years ago now. It was trundling through my tiny backyard and snuffling for bugs.

• Like x 5
  10. Ephemeramuse

Ephemeramuse Member

Is it me or does it look like they are setting up for some Broadway number. (i'm kind of thinking the Cell block tango number from "Chicago" for some reason.)

• Like x 3
  11. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

Darn, the picture of the kitty I'd be on the look out for on my way to the store is too big to post here apparently. Or something. Anyways, there was a ginger kitty I would look for on my way to the store when I lived in Austria. I called them Cica.

Also there are tons of bunnies where I live now. I pull in to the parking lot in the evening after class and there's like, a 50% chance of rabbits scattering.

• Like x 1
  12. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I just moved from my parents house, where at least one rabbit lives. I got pictures of it (them?) in the Reveal Your Pets thread.
    I am sad that I will not get to see the rabbit(s) again for a while, nor hear tales of how it's sneaking over to the neighbor's garden to munch on their vegetables.
    I don't blame them. That man has way too many vegetables; he gives them away for free because he just grows too much stuff. You live in a city, dude, how are you a one-man farmer's market?

Anyway, I won't see the rabbit again for at least several months.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  13. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

i saw a tiny bunny today
    tiny tiny
    like, squirrel sized bunny

(@alchemicalheart dont get close to canadian geese pls. they are terrifying and monster birds. we live by a mint and it has geese by it who are referred to by our family as guard geese. because they are terrifying)
    eta
    [​IMG]
    euuuuh

• Like x 1
  14. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Geese are actually pretty responsive to you emotions, is the thing. Like, if you're scared of them they'll know they can push you around, and if you're over-friendly/staring a lot like aggression then they'll shuffle away.

I even got to handfeed and pet a wild Canada goose the other week. Will add details when less asleep XD

• Like x 1
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I ran into a cat on my way home from the grocery store a month or two ago. i have a video of me awkwardly standing around talking to it because it kept mrrowing at me. very cute

also a catte in the apartment building i walk past after work, it just sits on the balcony a couple floors up and sticks its head out thru the railing like "hm a human...."

last night i was at rib fest and i may have seen a couple bats? i thought they were big weirdly moving moths at first and i only saw them for a second. but ive legitimately never seen bats outside (just inside the house once or twice, while my family scrambled to capture and remove the batte)

16. wixbloom

wixbloom artcute

There's a guy one block from my mom's house who lives in one of the oldest and definitely the most unkept house on the street (the street is suffering a serious case of gentrification). And he keeps lots of outdoor cats and it's so nice to walk by and see one of them! Today I saw one that is long haired and just SO pretty

17. iff

iff Well-Known Member

Resize it(?) :3 e.g. here: http://resizeimage.net

18. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

The other day i realized that there must have been a hatching(or two!) of garden spiders in the patch of tall grass that was supposed to be a garden plot. Also a monarch caterpillar, but no pics of him yet- pics of a few other bugs tho, and frogs c:

Also saw turkeys on the way home, and there are always tons of birds around here including hawks, vultures, and various finches that like to eat from the 5+ foot tall thistles also growing in the tall grass patch. Oh, and killdeer, which are the funniest birds, i wish i could get close enough to take video
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Pretty little tree frogs. Not sure what the first one was so upset about, but judging by how puffed up he was he was Not Happy. Also that's Shinji in the background, lounging around being the monster puffball he is
    image.jpeg
    Katydid! I dont see many of these surprisingly enough(youd think i would, with all the grasshoppers around), and this was a big one image.jpeg
    Aphids. Funny enough, this is the same milkweed i found the monarch caterpillar on a few days ago. Must not have been paying close enough attention haha
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    First pic is one spider, other two are back and front of another. Its really interesting how different they are- maybe different types? Not sure. Ik theyre both females, bc the males are super little. Also seen a few of those in the "garden" c:
    image.jpeg
    Not terribly pretty, but he was drinking the condensation off of my gatorade and i thought it was adorable
    image.jpeg
    Not sure what kind of spider he is? Very cute tho. If anyone has an ID id love to know what he is
    image.jpeg
    Painted lady. There are so, so many of these this year! Theres always a fair number, but this year it seems like extra of them and very few buckeye butterflies, which is a little disappointing since i like them better

• Like x 3
  19. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Goose incident - I was visiting my moirail in a different city, and she, knowing how much I love all and any kind of animals, suggested we grab some poundstore bird food and go down to the riverfront behind the bus station and feed the birds. A ton of pigeons, of course, and they were all really sit-on-you-hand friendly and healthy, which makes me happy - and a pair of canada geese.

One of them was a bit bossy, and very quickly picked up on the idea that my hand produced food and so would nip at it to make me drop the grain - not hard enough to do any damage, but hard enough to be successful. Once she settled down some and had her head down with the others eating seeds, I very gently touched her wing, and once she seemed cool with that, stroked her back. She was very smooth and soft, but hard underneath it - no duckfluff there, just working flightfeathers and the pure muscle of a wild bird.

At home, we get blackbirds, robins, woodpigeons, jays, magpies, crows and various kinds of tit (which is a bird like a chickadee, for you US folk) we also get woodmice in our back garden wall, as well as frogs, toads, damselflies, cabbage white butterflies with the odd red admiral, peacock butterfly, and comma.

Also a few weeks ago I was lucky enough to witness a freaking sparrowhawk nab one of our blackbirds in the morning while I was in the kitchen. It was so cool.

• Like x 3
  20. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

@iff
    Thanks, but cropping it on my end and just stopping being lazy fixed it XP

So here's Cica and some baby birds that I saw in a potted plant outside I think it was a bank?
    IMG_20160520_175519611.jpg IMG_20160530_134302435_HDR.jpg

Oh my god @Alska , those frogs are so cute! They're like the frog I found on the windshield on my birthday and had to save <3

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice