animation thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by chaoticArbiter, Feb 2, 2016.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so this is a thread for animated things! gifs, animations, illusions that look to be moving but really aren't, type stuff.
    I made it because I'm taking an animation class this semester and I want somewhere to put all my crap. so! welcome to the animation thread! feel free to ramble about animated stuff, post your work, or ask questions about animation-y things!

• Like x 1
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Is your course going to be focusing more in traditional or digital animation?

It's super neat either way, I've fiddled with really short key frame animations and gifs before but I realized pretty early on I do not have the patience for doing all the proper in-betweening :P

3. chaoticArbiter

digital mostly, although we are doing a bit of traditional.

4. KingStarscream

Cool stuff! I can't wait to see some of the things you get to do!

• Like x 1
  5. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Hello!! Good luck with your animation class, I look forward to seeing what you get out of it! :3 I'm an animation major in my junior year myself

I'm always up to give people tips n stuff for animation if anyone wants >w>;

• Like x 2
  6. Asherinn

Asherinn A Person, Probably

Oooh animation's something I've always wanted to try but never got around to! What program would you recommend for a newb to mess around and learn with?

7. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

if you have access to a version photoshop with animation capabilities, i find it's a pretty easy way to start, it's not too hard to figure out how to set things up and the onion skin is decent, plus usually artists already know how to work the other tools in photoshop.

i work in toon boom but boy is that professional and expensive. through student freebies i have literally the same program that companies currently use for professional stuff, which is very cool but pretty dang excessive.

in other news, i spent all night working on this and im pretty dang proud so you guys get to see it

• Like x 4
  8. KingStarscream

Oooo that looks really good!

Also, seconding Photoshop for learning the basics. Any of the CS versions should have animation, and CS5 treats me pretty well, and even if you figure out that big animation isn't for you, it's handy for things like gif effects on flat images.

9. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

this thread is a thing i was gonna make one but NICE

anyway, photoshop has it out for me i swear. i spent many hours today and yesterday working on this gif thing before realizing my original idea wasn't supported by tumblr's way of showing images. soooOo i ended up just cutting the idea down by 2/3rds and then posting because i don't want to look at it anymore. usually photoshop is kind to me but this time i tried to be Ambitious

also tfw u save and export only to realize a tiny error so u gotta go in again, and again, and again...

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    • Like x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Crosspost b/c i was too impatient to find this thread in the first place -_-

• Like x 1
  11. chaoticArbiter

AAAAAA I just saw your status post and I was gonna direct you here but then I realized you had found it and just
    afjdklgadjksdfa
    a. I am glad this thread is getting some use because I NEVER POSTED IN IT AGAIN WHOOPS
    b. THAT IS SO COOL??? YOUR ANIMATION, I MEAN
    LIKE DANG
    IT'S AWESOME

• Like x 1
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ahhh thanks i worked really hard on it X)

• Like x 1
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

decided to fuck around with walk cycles to see how they worked. i might actually do the transition frames and proper lining and what have you someday, but for now heres the minimal amount of effort anyone could possibly put into a walk cycle just cause i wanted to mess around

shitty mess experiment.gif

• Like x 1
  14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Necroing, but does anyone have recommendations for free animation software?

Also, how do you animate in Photoshop?

15. KingStarscream

Layers! So many layers. This is the official Adobe thing on it but I know better tutorials are floating around, I just don't have the spoons to hunt for good ones. The basic jist is that each of your animation frames is going to be a layer, and from that point on it's about the same as animating with paper-- just stacking them on each other one by one and flipping through them really fast.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Thanks! I'll have a look for some tutorials. :D

17. pineapplist

pineapplist labrat

[​IMG]
    my computer is strongly lacking in the "up to date enough to really aid in me ACTUALLY animating something not doodly" department but i did doodle this thing the other day that's a lil squiggly and lacking in frames but yknow lmao​

• Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice