Archives, data loss, privacy

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 7, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, separate topic because this is a completely separate question.

There are, as they say, competing access needs. Some people desperately need content not to disappear. Some people need to be able to make it disappear.

For my side of things, my plan stays as "we'll let you request private data be nuked as long as things are up, and will try to keep things up as long as possible". I'll try to keep things set up so people can delete their own content, but if that doesn't work out, we'll delete people's stuff for them on request.

As always, we can't promise that no one else will have seen or saved things. I know that's a sore point, but there's nothing we can actually do about it; anyone who has access to the forum can archive anything they can see. And deleting things here won't delete other people's copies, if they have any.

2. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Seebs, I hope you don't mind if I quote my own post in here - you never acknowledged it in the other thread, which is fine, but I think you might want to see it. It was basically just: you can have an archive system without taking all of the permissions away, and keep control in the hands of the userbase.

3. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Community proposal: make archives other than the main Kintsugi archive entirely opt-in rather than opt-out.

• Like x 2
  4. seebs

Maya: I did see that, I didn't have an immediate response to it, but this is very close to what I was thinking of for The Undercity or whatever it got called.

(And yes, I'm aware that rules also require enforcement; I just think that some amount of transition/reset will make that work better.)

• Like x 2
  5. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I think the point of this thread is, people have declared that they are making their own archives. They have not sought permission from this site's administration or the original posters in doing so, and there's nothing admins here can do about that. We just want to keep people in the loop as to what's going on and where our powers end.

• Like x 1
  6. seebs

I think that might be the point of chiomi's thread. This one, I wanted to make it easy to find the clear statement about what we can or can't do and what we're going to try to do to make people maximally-safe.

Because some people need to know stuff won't go away and be lost to them, and some people need to know they can make stuff go away if someone is sniffing around.

7. Chiomi

Yeah, @Beldaran, that's the point of my thread: I really, really hope that we can have some kind of community agreement about archive policies, even if it only lasts during whatever upcoming transition period.

• Like x 1
  8. Beldaran

There's another thread? Dang it mobile...

9. Chiomi

10. seebs

Okay, so!

I have now verified that I can set a forum up to not allow replies, but to allow deleting posts, so the concern about being unable to delete posts in a hypothetical "archive" is addressed, or at least, we know it's technically possible. It took quite a bit longer than I expected.

• Like x 3
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Alas, the ability to edit things and the ability to reply to things seem to be hooked together, so I can't use the pear wiggled thread for intense mod-eyes-only shitposting.

• Like x 2
  12. seebs

No, those are separate. I could actually turn on replies in that forum. And I might do something like that to give people a convenient place to yell at mods about things.

• Like x 3
  13. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Is new thread creation a thing that can be enabled in that forum? I can see it having a use for, well, yelling at mods, and general cutlery throwing that otherwise wouldn't be acceptable in the more public vents

• Like x 1
  14. Beldaran

We're working on the comfort mod forum too, so I think that'll be the place for that.

• Like x 1
  15. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Refresh me, what's that supposed to be, exactly? What I'm suggesting is more using the Pear Wiggler to be naughty out of the public view, 'cause I'm still advocating for a general ability to throw knives to hopefully mitigate the chance of public blow ups from bottling up the emotions.

16. Beldaran

Yeah, I think that'll be in a combo of the pear wriggler and the screaming into the caring void section of the forum. We're working on it and that's definitely a thing we're taking into account as important.

17. seebs

I've been pondering this.

Option 1: Of course not, we need to distinguish between Naughty Posts and Chatting With Mods.
    Option 2: Why would the distinction matter?

And that's an intuition and connotation thing and I've got nothing.

18. Beldaran

The only distinction would be for our ease of use? Having everything all mixed up together would be a pain in my specific ass. Finding things would be really really frustrating.

• Like x 2
  19. seebs

Ah-hah!

Pear Wiggler -> we are not planning to look at this, it's there for your reference if you want it.
    Howling Into The Caring Void -> you want mod response

??

• Like x 7
  20. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Sounds good to me. Will both boards be mod/op-visible only? Also, I know you cant see threads in pear wiggler unless you have the link... but do threads in there show up in post history/new posts where anyone can click them for the link?

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice