At what point does disordered eating become an eating disorder?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by throwawayBrainAcct, Sep 30, 2017.

1. throwawayBrainAcct

throwawayBrainAcct New Member

What it says on the tin.

2. Tea and Rain

Tea and Rain angry squirrel

Okay, this is a hard question to answer. I am giving you links to a few resources. Most resources on eating disorders try not to talk about behaviour in detail because there is a risk people with eating disorders will use it as inspiration towards continuing their patterns of under-eating, over exercising, purging, and binging. Eating disorders can be comorbid with other mental health problems: treating those should help ease the temptation to slip into the behaviours. You might eat oddly (not enough or not a healthy diet) if you have issues with food textures.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/types-symptoms-eating-disorders Lists types of eating disorders, how they manifest. You don't need to be underweight to have anorexia.

http://mengetedstoo.co.uk/information/the-facts

Below I mention a little bit of my experience super vaguely.
    In my experience it was when bad patterns started taking over how much and when I ate. When you are in an eating disorder there's a tendency to turn to those habits when you are stressed or are having episodes of low self esteem. Stress affects how hungry you are: it can increase or suppress your appetite. I found reasons to enforce the behaviour, excuses really. Eating disorders are pretty addictive when started and all cultures have complicated relationships with food/dieting. Thoughts about how you eat, how much you eat, what you eat, when to eat start taking up a lot of space and prominence in your thoughts.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice