1. Got more to do, but reached a good stopping point and things seem to be working.
    Dismiss Notice

(Avoid this, Idiomie) Advice on an Idea

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Lebesgue Integreat, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Sorry that the title is vague, I need to make sure Idiomie doesn't glean any information. Anyway. I had this idea for a birthday present for Idiomie. We both adore Ori and the Blind Forest and given that my last attempt at sewing fabric together to make a plush went so well (when I made Mimikyu for my friend for Christmas), I thought I could try my hand at an Ori plush. The only issue is that I can't find a pattern for it online and the only tutorials for creating a pattern from scratch that I've found require a good deal of drawing experience and ability, which I do Not have. Does anyone have advice on how I could do this without having to actually draw, since if I draw it it will be objectively hideous?

I am aware that there is official merchandise but part of the gift is that it's specifically me making it.

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  2. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

okay so these will require some drawing ability but it will be minimal and limited to "I can use a ruler to trace straight lines"

option 1:
    - get a plush that looks similar to ori, AND
    - dismantle it, lay out the dismantled outer fabric
    a1. trace this to get a general shape
    a2. edit it as necessary with "block" shapes, like squares, triangles, etc, that you can lay down and get an overall shape, that you can then trace around and use as the pattern, OR
    - partially dismantle it, trace shapes to fit what extras you'd need (eyebrow-things, longer ears), stitch them together, and attach to the dismantled sections

option 2:
    - get a pattern for a plush that looks similar to ori
    (this might be a little easier, as you won't have to dismantle anything and/or find the right color of plush to dismantle)
    - using general shapes, add in sections you'd need, attach them to the pattern, and go from there
    (would recommend doing a couple "sample" plushes first, to sort out where you want things to go)

• Informative x 1
  3. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Oh hey, I used to mess with trying to make a plush from scratch and I could pull some of my books off the shelf. Would you like me to send you pattern-pieces that I think might be helpful?

4. Lebesgue Integreat

That 2nd option sounds really helpful, thank you. How would I go about estimating sizing for the extras? Is that just trial and error/super involved math or is there some rule of thumb I can go by like "you can expect stuffing to bloat your shapes by [some reasonable fraction]"?

• Like x 1
  5. keltka

I do a lot of trial and error for that kind of thing personality but I'm reasonably sure that you could guesstimate for a lot of it
    also, a good thing to keep in mind: you can 100% under or over stuff to get the look you're wanting!

always go larger: re, extras
    you can always like.... go from |___\ to adding another seam and making it |__\_\, and tucking the spare fabric in

• Informative x 1
  6. Lebesgue Integreat

Well, I wouldn't want to understuff. Wouldn't it just be kind of flabby and sad then?

7. keltka

there's a point where it's like "stuffed enough to hold up shape" and then "stuffed enough to feel solid", and anything between those two is generally okay!

• Informative x 1
  8. Lebesgue Integreat

Yeah, that could prove useful, thanks.

9. Athol Magarac

Cool, also, do you think you could find a photo of a Mewtwo that has the right leg-posture? Doesn't have to be Mewtwo, a rabbit might work, but plushies tend to have symmetry in that they're standing or sitting and the arms are the same.

10. Lebesgue Integreat

I doubt it, Mewtwo's proportions are not particularly applicable to Ori. Unless I'm misunderstanding your question?

11. Athol Magarac

The lower-legs of Mewtwo have an exaggerated joint-orientation on digigrade biped... Also, sorry, should have said Mew....

upload_2018-11-22_16-19-22.png

upload_2018-11-22_16-20-59.png

The proportions aren't right, but if we can work out how individual limbs should look, that should give you a good prototype.

12. Lebesgue Integreat

Oh I see where you're going with this. I agree, Mewtwo's legs could serve as a good example model for Ori's. I could basically make this a Frankenstein's Monster of patterns. That is definitely something to consider if Keltka's ideas don't work out.

13. Athol Magarac

Also, I have the feeling that if I could get ahold the pattern to upload_2018-11-22_16-29-42.png it would be easy to make the other character, though maybe not quite what you're imagining.

14. Lebesgue Integreat

Yeah, they're somewhat similar, but I think it would take more effort and with a higher degree of difficulty to edit a Mew pattern than to just create an Ori one from scratch.

15. Lebesgue Integreat

Oooh, I found a thing, and using Keltka's advice I think I know almost exactly what I need to do!!! This is excellent.

16. Athol Magarac

Ah sorry... there's probably a brain-thing here where both approaches are valid, but one will work better for each person. Sorry I got distracted, but what I had in mind involved a pattern-book about dinosaurs.

17. Lebesgue Integreat

Entirely possible. I personally have never found it easy to edit an existing thing to become something new and distinct, especially if that's thing is itself already something that exists and needs to be recognizable.

18. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

There's also this pattern, which based on clicking through to their example looks cute and also pretty accurate? I'm not sure what they mean about not having all the steps in the tutorial, though, so that's slightly worrying.

19. Lebesgue Integreat

Oh yeah, I found that site too, but they don't seem to link the actual patterns that they're all talking about.

20. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

It's available for download at the right - you have to pay like $1.25 for it, so I didn't download it, but it might be worth it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice