1. Got more to do, but reached a good stopping point and things seem to be working.
    Dismiss Notice

(Avoid this, Idiomie) Advice on an Idea

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Lebesgue Integreat, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Oh! So it is. That's good to know for if the idea I have now doesn't work, which is make approximations from the mouse over magnifying glass that the official merchandise provides. I'm not sure how much I trust that thing though and would prefer to avoid it if possible. Buying things like that sets me on edge, you know?

2. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

Yeah, that is super legit.

3. Lebesgue Integreat

Hey! I have just been informed that you probably know about glow in the dark fabric paint and mixing paints. Is this true?

4. Chiomi

My wife has glow in the dark fabric paint somewhere, and she definitely knows stuff. It's been more than a decade since I mixed paints, but she's sitting right here. What do you want to know?

5. Lebesgue Integreat

:D
    So with my current idea, I'm looking for either glow in the dark fabric, or just standard fabric that I can apply glow in the dark paint to. At the moment (this is pre-touch test since it is Thanksgiving), I'm looking at this fabric with the Ocean Blue variant mixed with the transparent medium of this paint and adding this glow stuff. My question is this. Is DecoArt a good brand for this type of thing and is there a way to predict what effect it might have on the fabric? Like will it make it a bit crusty from the paint, will the fabric remain soft, etc? The only thing I have to go on that this works is this blog post saying that she mixed the paint with the glow stuff (but not the transparent medium).

6. Chiomi

Tristan took my laptop to look at this and then spent like an hour looking stuff up.

"Alright, your first difficulty is going to be with that fabric. Since it's a plush, yeah, you want something soft. Fabric paint is generally better on non-textured fabrics, though, and is usually meant for adding designs, not basically dying the whole fabric. I myself have done very little work with glow in the dark paint, but I've got fabric painting tutorials bookmarked and did a bit of research.

Painting the whole thing with a brush is probably not going to be terribly easy, and potentially just terrible depending on how thick the texture is. In this regard, I'm wondering if finding a fabric spray paint like this https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Spray-Fabric-Paint-2-5oz/dp/B07GTKTN9D/ might be easier. Since I have not used it myself, though, I can't speak to how soft it is or how well it coats.

Potentially the most relevant tutorial I have would be this: https://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/05/how-to-paint-upholstery-latex-paint-and.html which pertains to painting a whole chair but suggests using a latex paint with the fabric medium rather than acrylic. Turns out there aren't a whole lot of glow-in-the-dark latex paints.

From what I've seen in the last hour of research, I feel like your best bet may be to get the fabric in white, instead, then get glow-in-the-dark powder in a blue/aqua tint, like this https://www.amazon.com/Glow-Dark-Pigment-Powder-Fluorescent/dp/B01K0SA5I8, to add to the fabric medium. Again, I can't say how well it'll work, but the powder should basically make the medium into glow-in-the-dark paint itself without affecting the texture at all. "

• Informative x 1
  7. Lebesgue Integreat

That's so helpful, thank you so much.

• Like x 1
  8. alwaysboth

alwaysboth The Cryptid

Apparently I'm on Kintsugi now, so you're welcome and let me know what you use and how it turns out. It's a really interesting project.

• Like x 1
  9. Lebesgue Integreat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice