Bugs/Feature Requests

Discussion in 'That's So Meta!' started by seebs, Feb 23, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Feel free to post things in this forum, or in this thread, or something.

I would love a markdown editor, myself, because I find it more comfortable. Not sure how practical it is since bbcode has features markdown doesn't, but it'd still be nice for basic usage.

I might try to get an emoticon thing going that only does colon-word-colon emoticons and doesn't try to interfere with our lovely ASCII art.

2. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I dunno if this is already a thing and I'm just missing where it is, but if not, an option for non-mods to edit user titles so we're not just an endless parade of "new members".

3. seebs

I... don't know.

Huh. There's a custom title field, but it looks like non-mods can't edit theirs. Lemme go mess with a thing.

EDIT: Yeah, it just wasn't allowed for normal users by default. Fixed!

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Maybe a section for discussion brainbugs not related to autism and abuse?

5. seebs

Oh, hey, not a bad idea at all.

I may have been premature in making the subforums, the big thing was that I definitely wanted to have a separate thing for abuse so that people who don't want to read about it can very easily avoid it.

6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Also, are the profiles uneditable, or am I just too clueless to get to the editing page?

7. seebs

I think they should be editable. There should be a pop-up menu from your username in the upper-right with fields, "personal details" I think is the profile. Unless I missed a thing?

8. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yay, found it. Took me a while because I´m used to a different setup.

9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Would it be possible to include an edit indication at the bottom of posts? The main things I'd want to see are (1) the time a message was edited, and (2) the name of the editor, if moderators have the power to edit others' posts. I figure people can add a note at the end to indicate what was edited and why.

Test test

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Suggestion: Maybe (eventually) archiving stuff from Seebs' blog? I know that I, for example, would like a way to look for all the autism stuff, or all the stuff I've submitted without have to use tumblr's terrible and inaccurate search feature.

If I have free time (like this coming summer, maybe?) I'll even volunteer to do it!

11. seebs

There's an automatic edit notifier if you edit a post more than a minute or five after posting it. Moderators can in theory suppress it, I guess.

I do periodically archive my tumblr, and I will totally someday figure out a way to put up archival copies.

12. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Excellent!

In the account/privacy section, under Edit Your Contact Details, there's an option for for who gets to View Your Identities. Does that mean Sub Accounts or something else? If it means sub accounts, heads up: it was automatically checked and set at Members Only.

13. seebs

I think "identities" refers to the facebook/aim/twitter stuff which I disabled more thoroughly elsewhere.

14. Helen of Boy

Helen of Boy Hugcrafter Pursuivant

While by no means an immediate need, multiquote makes participating in larger discussions much easier, because you can quote the posts without getting pulled to the bottom, and then fill in your answers when you're done.

• Like x 1
  15. seebs

I think I can just turn that on.

EDIT: Yup. No idea how it works, though.

16. Helen of Boy

Allow me to explain, then!

There's now a +Quote button on each post that will add that post to a selection of quoted posts. When you've got some, there'll be an "Insert Quotes" button under the bottom-left of the post box dialogue thingamy. Click it and it'll bring up all those messages, you can select which to remove (if, say, a question was answered already) and also shift the order they'll be pasted in. Then you click to quote those posts, and BAM! A whole bunch of quoted posts.

Relatedly, I don't know if this was a feature before or if it's part of multiquote, but you can highlight text to either +Quote or Reply normally to that, saving you from having to cut the rest out later. You can +Quote multiple different parts of the same post, too, so as to respond to all the various sections more easily and not have to add [ /quote ] [ quote] all throughout.

17. seebs

The highlight text thing was there before, I believe. And I did not know about the +quote for multiple sections from a single post, that's awesome.

18. Helen of Boy

Yeah, it's the big reason I asked about it. I like to quote multiple people and different PARTS of what different people say, and if people do the same to me, well, it just becomes ever so much easier to respond on a point-by-point basis, I think.

19. albedo

albedo metasperg

Hey, Seebs, the profile posts seem to always show up as UTC instead of [set local timezone]. Any chance that's fixable? No big deal, just takes a minute to parse out the UTC-version.

20. albedo

albedo metasperg

Pfft. IGNORE THAT, I JUST CAN'T READ. Too many "I'm going to bed" posts, I got confused.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice