Canadian Politics

Discussion in 'Up the People' started by unknownanonymous, Nov 11, 2016.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

the renegotiation of nafta might endanger our digital rights

link

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  2. unknownanonymous

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. unknownanonymous

• Informative x 2
  4. unknownanonymous

5. unknownanonymous

the only good thing about ford winning is that i, as a gravity falls fan, picture stanford pines whenever the name "ford" is mentioned and thus will be very amused whenever i hear his name mentioned

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

a aa a a a a a a a a

..a.

• Witnessed x 2
  7. kastilin

kastilin MI CRUSH ASS TA DUST

WHO WANTS SOME RAGE

Screenshot_2018-06-08-11-45-00.png
    Screenshot_2018-06-08-11-47-28.png

anyway, the electoral system that elected a majority government with 40% of the vote sure is something

• Witnessed x 7
    • Agree x 1
  8. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Hell.

• Witnessed x 3
  9. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

Ford has done so much shit already.

- Destroying one of the few progressive things this province got, the shiny sex education is being taken a hammer to, including a page where you can snitch on teachers for teaching any sexual education you don't approve of now: https://www.ontario.ca/page/for-the-parents
    - The big, messy move with city councillors which regardless of your opinion on reducing govt was not handled well
    - Govt withdrew support for the pilot basic income program and shutting it down despite saying no matter who won the pilot project would be allowed to continue
    (https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/basic-income-ontario-admits-breaking-promise-1.4770772 details here, this one really riles me up and few people know about it)
    - Buck a beer campaign, but in particular, Ford's lack of seeming responsibility with it and saying shit like '“I think people in Ontario are mature enough, they’re mature enough to know when they’ve had one too many," which is an astoundingly bad take on addiction especially when Ford's brother publicly struggled with addiction

• Witnessed x 6
    • Agree x 1
  10. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-francois-legault-crucifix-religious-symbols-1.4858757

For the link averse: "Quebec's incoming premier is arguing that the crucifix is not a religious symbol, while continuing forwards with plans to ban certain civil servants from wearing religious symbols."

On the one hand, fucking Quebec. On the other hand, it's a goddamn crucifix, my dude. How the hell do you think you're going to plausibly argue that it's historical, and not religious? It is literally the symbol of a major religion. The Supreme Court is going to laugh themselves sick if you try it.
    (And of fucking course, the "certain civil servants"? Anyone who wants to wear non-Christian religious symbols! Because it's Quebec and fuck you if you want to publicly show that you're Jewish or Muslim.)

• Witnessed x 7
  11. turtleDove

...one bright note, at least, is that it's looking like they can't use the notwithstanding clause to fire judges who decide to defy the ban on religious symbols. Because that would be overriding judicial independence (which the notwithstanding clause cannot do), not just religious freedoms.

• Like x 1
  12. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

thats so fucking dumb..................star of david is a historical symbol too, and so are muslim religious symbols. theyre all historical. thats how that shit fucking works. god.

• Agree x 4
  13. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

like u cant have one under that logic but not the others aaaaa

• Agree x 2
  14. turtleDove

Yyyyyup.

In more cheerful news, I voted in my local municipal election today! Saanich will hopefully get a new mayor and some council members who don't want the homeless to die. And we may or may not get an investigatory committee into whether or not amalgamating with Victoria is a good idea. (Hopefully we do, because jesus dick, the political situation for Victoria could use some simplifying.)

• Like x 2
  15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

transphobia:

i'm upset spaghett because the ontario PCs just joyfully passed a party policy saying gender identity dont real and they want to remove it from schools

put forward by tanya granic allen, aka the woman who was kicked out of the party leadership race after audio was released of her being homophobic

and who just fuckin, gleefully quote tweeted a reporter..reporting on the motion, and her addition was just "True story!" And then she quote tweeted an editorial telling people to read some garbage where the preview just says "my thoughts on schools pushing gender nonsense in their curriculum"

and guess what i work in a field where i'm basically discouraged from speaking to my representatives as a human instead of in a professional context. But idk i'll ask my coworker what i can get away with

Edit: outlets have clarified that this was a vote to like, bring the motion for debate next year, which still sucks. Nothing is changing with legislation, govt policy or even party policy right now

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    • Witnessed x 5
  16. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Does anyone know of any scripts/talking points regarding the BC pipeline protests? I want to call my MP but I get flustered when I talk about important things and I would like to have a set plan.

• Witnessed x 1
  17. turtleDove

I unfortunately do not, no. Do you have the spoons to make one of your own? Maybe go over what you want to talk about, and write it down so that you've got notes to refer to during the call?

18. NorthernRiver

NorthernRiver Member

dang this thread is short lol

am very pissed that the PPC (people's part of canada) is getting so much god damn traction instead of being just a fringe group, like they are
    they're hosting some dumb party at a local hall that the owner is refusing to cancel, which in turn is getting a protest, which in turn is inadvertently getting more attention to the PPC in general
    they're fascist, white supremacist garbage that shouldn't even be taken seriously yet here we are

I'm debating going to the protest, but I really gotta work and honestly the spoons required for going and then possibly getting harassed on social media is TOO MUCH MAN

• Witnessed x 6
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice