Capturing Light: The Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Morven, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

So it seems we don't have a thread for the photographers, so here's one!

I don't want this to just be a photo dump, so I suggest if you post a photo you talk about it -- what you were doing, what you were trying to achieve, what techniques you were experimenting with, and that sort of thing. Basically focusing on the art and craft of going beyond your standard phone snapshots.

No equipment snobbery, please. Art can be created on an iPhone or a shitty disposable camera. Discussion of equipment is fine though! So who's on board this train?

• Like x 1
  2. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

I am on this train... although I haven't considered myself "doing photography" in years, I used to do maternity, pet, and family photo shoots for friends with my DSLR that I'm honestly not sure even works anymore. I still take lots of pictures with my phone, though, and I've found the low-equipment low-effort nature of phone photography has helped me keep up those skills I developed hardcore in high school and college, at least to some degree. Mostly I take pictures of my cats, my knitting, and myself... but I'm still taking pictures :D

3. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

THREAD NECROMANCY

I found myself in a Surprise Rainbow situation when picking Kai up from work yesterday. All I had (all I have) was my phone camera, and a corporate parking lot does not make the best backdrop, but I had to try to capture something. Mostly, I just worked really hard at composition, with a tiny bit of post-processing (cropping edges on some to improve composition, a bit of color rebalancing on photos containing the rainbow), but I think they came out pretty well for a bad setting and a rushed few minutes trying to capture the sky before it faded.

Photo album here.

• Winner x 2
  4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I clearly made this thread and then completely forgot about it -- but that corresponded with health catastrophe and financial catastrophe and all kinds of bullshit, so I think I can be excused.

But now I feel in need of a reason to get me out and about and interacting with the world, and this will do nicely. I've decided to go back to film photography because it's where I started, and even with film undergoing a bit of a trendy moment, the cameras I enjoy -- the semi-pro and pro grade SLRs of the 80s and 90s and early 2000s -- are available for peanuts for the most part on ebay, so I get to play with things that younger me wanted but couldn't afford.

So I have a Pentax Z-1p on its way; it's the highest specified camera the company ever made, and I got it for $75 plus shipping, for something that was a thousand dollar camera new.

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice