Chat rules

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by hoarmurath, Jul 28, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

That's a good point, different people have different requirements from their sensory-input-management.

• Like x 1
  2. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Hey everyone, Kintsugi Light is a thing, gimme a yell if you want in it.

• Like x 4
  3. seebs

i am sort of curious but also I think I have Too Many Windows. I am probably going to close at least one, possibly both, of the others because Too Much Text.

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Sorry, I´m a lil slow today, should I add you in or not?

5. Silvereye

Silvereye 89 White Paladin Traverses The Cosmos

Firstly: there are two very different conversations going on at this point. I'm starting to get the feeling that continuing the abrasiveness etc discussion in another thread would be prudent, since at this point this conversation is getting in the way of actual chat-related discussion. But I don't think it is my place to start it, since I do not technically have a horse in this race.

Secondly: Hoarmurath has peaced out for her mental health for now. I've been talking with her and I think maybe she hasn't gotten some of her points across correctly.

She's not blocking Michinyo because she's trying to cover her ears with her hands and ignore what she says. She is blocking her because she feels further interacting with Michinyo would not be beneficial to her. Different things. And since she's left the skype chats, knows skype chats cannot be moderated and has said so already, explaining to her how they are most accessible to people and why they can't be moderated feels sort of redundant. Hoarmurath and skype chats are not really the issue at this point.

Another point: she is NOT trying to screech at people because they have meltdowns. She was trying to communicate the point that the current situation in chat causes people to burn out and/or feel obligated to help others through severe emotional distress, which gets uncomfortably close to actual therapist work (which is not a training most of the people have). She does not think this is a good situation. This is not the same as saying people who have meltdowns are bad. This is worry for people who spend a lot of time supporting them.

I think Kijikun did view her as judging people who have meltdowns and this is how we ended up... here.

Yet another point: Hoarmurath has been sort of triggered for a couple of days now. I wrote a post about why people (such as her) might be distressed by other people's brainwrong. In my opinion, she has been brusque to people (which can be read as hostileness), but not without cause. Kijikun's suggestion that she shouldn't hang around abused or mentally ill or damaged people is pretty upsetting to her, because she feels it implies she is none of these things, therefore Doesn't Get It. That is pretty far from the truth, thus the upset. I think Seebs addressed this point but it may have been gotten a bit lost in the shuffle. I don't know.

Honestly, I, personally, would be rankled too, if someone would say that to me. And I would be rankled if someone would imply I'm acting like Vriska and then feel miffed if I don't like the post that contained this implication.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    • Like x 1
  6. Key

Key never make a triangle

7. seebs

I was under the impression that this functionality had been removed.

8. Key

Maybe it doesn't work for newer groups? I'm in a skype group where we're constantly having to remove people - because for some reason the first time you add them to the group it doesn't work right; we have to boot them an re-add a couple of times before they can see it. But I did just realize that the Kintsugi chat info doesn't show an admin, so either the room creator left at some point after its creation or newer groups don't get the moderation functions. Which is ridiculous but also a thing I can see happening. =[

9. seebs

Supposedly they basically nuked the moderation function, but for all I know they then added it back because they're insane. I don't know who "created" the chat, though.

10. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Void did the main chat, I´m not sure who created afterdark. Albedo created NSFW

• Like x 1
  11. Key

@michinyo and I just tested making a new chat room to see if the moderation commands work, and they do!

ETA: We're also testing out a legacy chatroom style which allows us to delete regular member's messages. Not sure if that's a function that's really needed, though.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Oh wait. My boyfriend made kintsugi main, and then left cuz he didn't want in. He was doing the helpful thing cuz mobile Skype is butts.

13. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

Um, I'm having a problem that since the chats move so fast it piles up and freezes my computer, so I can't use them. I wasn't sure where to put that, but if anyone has a solution, please say something.

14. Beldaran

Beldaran 70% abuse and 30% ramen

I'mma chime in again to say that I remain unconvinced that a group covenant/contract type consensus wouldn't work. If addict support groups and conflict resolution circle process groups can function using that model of room management I think an internet chat room could at least give it a go.

• Like x 4
  15. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I would like to request we try Beldarans solution first, because I´m still strongly opposed to the idea of a chatroom moderator.

• Like x 3
  16. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Temporary autonomous zones ftw

• Like x 1
  17. seebs

I think this sounds like a good idea.

It's not gonna solve all the problems, but nothing is; the question is which of the failures we can tolerate most easily.

• Like x 3
  18. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

@seebs

That did come across like me treating you and Jesse as a gem fusion/blob, and was wrong of me. So I'll try to be more careful about it. It was more of a "person a and b have both said stuff that feels to me like they don't care" and therefore the lumping in happened. And now I am trying to justify myself again.

I think I possibly did get some stuff lost while the main thing was happening, and that's my own responsibility, but I think the conflict itself feels fairly resolved, so I am not quite keen on digging it up again?

@rigorist

Okay. :P

A part of me is curious whether I explained my thought about forum admin responsibility really really badly or is it simply something you will always disagree with. I might be up to telling you my thoughts about such at some other point, if you're at all interested, because I am interested in why you said no about it in the first place.

Silvereye's post was accurate (in terms of portraying my motivations) and she's my moirail, just stating it for the record.

Otherwise I am cool with ollying out of the particular thread for good. (So if you want to debate responsibility ethics or whatever, we can take it somewhere else.)

19. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

It's not "forum administration" you are seeking here. It is controlling communication through a completely different medium and taking on a duty and responsibility to do so.

• Like x 2
  20. seebs

I think that's the real thing; this is simply out of scope for what I consider the "forum". I don't feel that Kintsugi administration implies control of a chat set up by other people, even if in theory we could do it. Now it may make sense to have the chat community discuss how to run things, but... Well, insofar as I have influence, my preference is for basically what Beldaran suggested above: Have the people in the chat be aware of the need to work to resolve things and listen to each other.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice