Chat!

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by albedo, Jun 4, 2015.

1. albedo

albedo metasperg

Hi, folks. Some of us have been setting up chatrooms, and we'd like to make them as accessible to our fellow kintsugijin as possible. Mind weighing in on your preferred technology?

1) Skype chatrooms.
    Pros: Automatic logging, sends offline messages (good for folks with odd timezones, hopefully?).
    Cons: Requires Skype account and software. Skype accounts may be uncomfortably tied to RL identity.

2) IRC chatrooms.
    Pros: No software/setup required, no accounts required.
    Cons: No automatic logging, no offline messages. We may be able to circumvent this somewhat by using Trillian or another third-party software to log the chats, but we're not sure how well that will work.

3) ????

• Like x 1
  2. albedo

albedo metasperg

Possible concerns:
    - We have folks from all sorts of timezones, and would like them to be not left out.
    - We have some folks who won't always have spoons for real-time interaction, and would like them to not be left out. (Okay, that's like 90% of the forum, I'm pretty sure everybody's brainweird.)
    - We have some folks who only have mobile internet access.
    - We have some folks who are concerned about RL stalkers / parents / privacy. This affects useable accounts and also where any logs should be placed.
    - We have Beeps and potentially other folks on moderation, and I don't wanna leave moderated folks out if there's a good way for them to come play without worrying.

3. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Personally I've always wanted to figure how to work IRC (also I'm relatively new, would I be welcome or do I have to be invited by a certain person?)

4. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

you're totally welcome @ZeroEsper, everyone is :)

I'm down for pretty much anything - I have a Skype and I'm already easily findable. I also have Trillian and am happy to play with other clients if necessary.

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

@ZeroEsper You are totally welcome, this is not a gatekeeping community. C'mon in.

https://kiwiirc.com/client
    Nickname: <whatever you want>
    Channel: #kintsugi

Folks do need invites to the skype chatrooms, if they're interested in joining in, but that's due to technical limitations and not a desire to gatekeep.

• Like x 1
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Skype. IRC is wierd and kicked me out

7. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, sorry about that, Cody. We can debug when you've got the spoons for it, I'm not sure why it did that. :\ I got kicked briefly too, but it worked fine when I refreshed the page.

8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

Skype also keeps a history of messages sent while you're not there. IIRC does not.

Also IIRC is hell on me from an aesthetic standpoint.

9. albedo

albedo metasperg

I prefer skype too, mostly because it does offline messages and I'm used to it, but I don't have a super strong preference.

10. albedo

albedo metasperg

(Also, obviously, we CAN use both, or indeed, many systems! We've just started this chat stuff in a decentralized manner, and I wanted to make sure everybody was aware of the options and had a chance to weigh in.)

• Like x 1
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Let me see if any of my devices can handle Skype.

12. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I really like Skype.

13. Alska

Alska Well-Known Member

My vote is Skype too, at least for one chat(like albedo said, we can have more than one chat place!) since IRC doesn't work for me at all on mobile

14. Starcrossedsky

I can make the skype chat if ya'll are cool, mine's the same as my handle here.

Just put something about Kintsugi in the add request.

#maybe now people around here will finally call me Nai

15. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

One vote for IRC if we're still voting, I think Skype would make my computer melt.

16. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

I have skype, but the constant notifications make me frazzled. even when it's just the little tiny yellow circle in the corner of the icon
    I usually just quit skype when i turn on my computer, and then I feel guilty because what if someone is trying to get in touch :/

17. Starcrossedsky

You can turn off notifs for group chats, FYI. I have them off for a video game chat I'm in and I don't even get the orange new message bubble.

• Like x 1
  18. kmoss

kmoss Under Construction

that's cool! I managed to flail around for a bit till I could turn off the sound notification and then i had to turn it off.
    i guess that'll be my next project

19. Starcrossedsky

Conversation menu while within the chat you wanna mute -> Notification settings -> Do the thing.

You ca also set it to only ping you when someone says your name and stuff like that.

• Like x 1
  20. hoarmurath

hoarmurath Thor's Hammer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice