Clarification and updates on my position.

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by Wiwaxia, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I am aware that this isn't really the right forum for this, but I am putting this here for now given that this is where most of the discussion took place.

I feel that I have a responsibility to answer questions about my position, so I am opening this thread up to that. You can also contact me privately, if you prefer. I do reserve the right to not respond to any particular post from any particular person.

If you somehow missed it: I stated that I thought the presence of palindromordnilap and hellfirelover on the forums was toxic and part of an ongoing pattern of abuse, and encouraged people to engage in a collective effort of non-response.
    I do not expect or want everyone to agree with me, I think disagreement is important on things like this, but I do not believe that the act of saying what I said is itself unacceptable.

Finally, the updates:

I absolutely jumped the gun in a really stupid way by posting when I did. I assumed that post moderation would fail to prevent further incidents, but I should have waited and posted if and when it did. Advocating for policy based on the assumed failure of current precautions, without significant evidence backing that conclusion, is a really terrible idea. Mea culpa.

I also regret focusing on palindromordnilap and hellfirelover as individual offenders. Regardless of my personal stance on the matter, focusing on individual bad behavior obscures discussion of structural and community-level problems that allow and enable abuse and harassment. Even if an individual offender leaves the forum or is no longer welcome in sub-communities on the forum, there will be another, and another, and another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice