comic recs thread

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by hanka, Nov 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hanka

hanka the sweetest double agent

comics! preferably comics you can read for free, but also ones you have to pay for. i don't discriminate.

the wicked and the divine is fucking amazing. i read all 23 issues in one sitting. every 90 years, 12 gods reappear among mortals. then someone starts killing them off. it's the best thing i've read in a long time and i'm inflicting it on the gf, in case you need a testament to its quality.

bitch planet is awesome. a world where men control everything, and women are expected to be perfect stepford wives. noncompliant women are sent away to an off-world prison nicknamed "bitch planet" for charges like gender terrorism, gratuitous obesity, patrilineal dishonor, or seduction and disappointment. it's good. the art style reminds me a lot of sex criminals.

• Like x 1
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Im 3 chapters in on bitch planet and already in love with penelope.

• Like x 1
  3. ironicBonds

ironicBonds is actually two dogs in a trench coat

Stand Still Stay Silent is my favorite ongoing webcomic right now, i cannot recommended it enough! a mysterious plague ravages the whole planet and kills off most of humanity except for small "safe zones" in the nordic states, where they barely eke out a living. a group of explorers get funded to go explore the Silent World (the rest of the world that got corrupted by the plague) ans its all about them. lots of good, creepy monsters, and fantastic characters. UGH i love it

it updates every weekday, which is a pretty decent clip for a webcomic. not to mention its ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS

Saint for Rent is another good one. havent caught up in a while but its about a guy that runs an inn for time travelers!

• Like x 1
  4. Southe-lands

Southe-lands A Cliff in Front, a Wolf Behind.

Aww, I'm sad this thread didn't go on longer. I love me some webcomics.

Here's one that I just found the other day, Drop-out. It's a roadtrip comic about Lola and Sugar, a pair of stoner girlfriends who live outside of New York, and their trip to the Grand Canyon. The twist is they're going there to throw themselves *into* the Grand Canyon, because they're both miserable and tired of living, and that *would* be a pretty great way to go out.

Great art, phenomenal writing, two very fleshed out main charaters. Portrays mental illness, being queer, and being intersex very thoughtfully and compassionately.

PG-13 for language, drug use, and some mild nudity. TW for *several* varieties of brainwrong, abuse and emotional neglect, a lot of heavy talk about gender/being intersex/being trans, drug usage, and obviously suicidal ideation and frank discussion of suicide. Also it's a furry comic (Lola is apparently a snerson (snail person), which is probably a first) so if that's not your thing, oh well.

(Also side stories that flesh out several characters back-stories but contain spoilers. Read them last.)

(Artist's Patreon)

5. Spectacularsalmon

Spectacularsalmon Enthusiastic dork

Do graphic novels count? Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol and Through the Woods by Emily Carrol are two of my favorites. Also, everything else Emily Carrol has ever done is worth reading if you like horror, and a bunch her stuff is webcomics!

6. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

http://freefall.purrsia.com/ff100/fv00001.htm

Freefall, a webcomic about Florence, an uplifted red wolf (considered an AI), Sam the scavenger alien with a very different sense of morals from most humans, and Helix, a robot.

It's a humorous webcomic, with the first plotline being Florence having to fix Sam's ship. Later plotlines are more involved.

I linked to the first page-it updates on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday over here, and the current strip sometimes contains major spoilers.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice