COSPLAY!!!

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by Acey, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I can't find a general cosplay thread so here we go!

As you all probably know, I cosplay. I started seriously when I was 19, and my early costumes SUCKED. For instance, compare my first real cosplay--Roxy Lalonde--to the latest iteration (the shirt has since been replaced with a more accurate one, as the one in the second pic was a last-minute emergency fix due to my official shirt getting ruined in the wash, but still):

[​IMG]
    Then...
    [​IMG]
    ...and now.

Right now, I'm super proud, 'cause I just made the base for my God Tier Jade shirt! I just need to dye it (I only had white T-shirt fabric) and add the Space symbol, and do a few minor adjustments--it wound up shorter than I'd intended, but I have a few potential fixes planned. And given that I sewed it more or less from scratch (the bodice is a heavily modified t-shirt; the sleeves were sewn from scratch), I think it came out pretty well. :)

[​IMG]

My next con is SacAnime Winter, and I have three cosplays planned: the aforementioned God Tier Jade, Ruby from Steven Universe (with my girlfriend as Sapphire!), and Mabel from Gravity Falls (with @Neurogabu as Dipper, probably!). I'm really excited!

Does anyone else here cosplay? :D

2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I do, in fact, technically cosplay! I'm not very good at it though, i think and i usually end up kinda obscure? Plus my skill level at sewing is very unpolished so my gather-and-mod cosplays usually look a ton better :'U
    But i've been a ton of things, let's see what I can find pics of :P
    P1010002.JPG
    IMG_20141025_131537.jpg
    IMG_20141026_115219.jpg
    IMG_1542.JPG
    IMG_20150315_135139.jpg
    these are mildly out of order but lmao
    I have a terribly long list of characters i wanna cosplay still or maybe re-do (jinx is completely i pieces because most of it was really held on with tape, not even kidding.)
    but i think i'm better at putting together artsy outfits with a high-fantasy twist, than straight cosplays :I

3. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

• Like x 2
  4. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Which armor set are you making? (not like I like 40K or anything ...)

5. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Cadian pattern IG flak armor for my brother. (I'll post some more pictures tonight - all the painting is done except his helmet and tomorrow is assembly day!) My Inquisitor's armor doesn't follow any particular pattern - I'm going with the spirit of this, but with some major alterations to make it easier to build (and more comfortable to wear).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    • Like x 1
  6. Acey

sewin' a sapphire dress over the course of less than a week

wish me luck motherfuckers

• Like x 2
  7. IvyLB

good luck you crazy ambitious one. I'm applauding you from the sidelines, because that is a terrifying deadline but really cool if you pull it off.

8. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Holy cow. Good luck!

9. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

More armor build process photos. We stuck foam tabs on all the armor pieces so we could hang them up to paint. Then my brother sprayed the pieces with a couple coats of plasti-dip, then applied the spray paint - olive drab for his, black for mine.

Also, fuck that helmet. That was what I worked on ALL DAY and I'm 800% sure there was a better way to do it and the better way involved having the base shell fit correctly the first time. We'll call it a learning experience.

10. Acey

I'm gonna be cutting the pattern and such tonight. (I'll need to size it up a bit--GF is plus-size and the pattern only goes up to size 14, but she gave me her measurements and I found some resources on sizing things up online, so that shouldn't be an issue. She does have a contingency plan, but it doesn't look as nice as an actual cosplay-y Sapphire dress would. :P Plus I DID tell her I'd make it...stuff just kept getting in the way!)

I only have a few small alterations to make to my own cosplays, too--just gotta iron the pic onto my Mabel top when it gets here, make armsocks and boot covers for Ruby (and I'm halfway done on the latter), and finish my Jade top (I hecked up one of the sleeves but it's very fixable, and I have to paint the Space symbol on). All of that should take me less than a day combined, so I'm not too worried about that.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    • Like x 1
  11. Acey

Sorry to double-post, but does anyone know of a good, intuitive armsock tutorial?

12. IvyLB

fabric glue? i believe there is a fabric specific version e6000

13. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

Maybe cut a piece of heavy non-stretchy fabric in the shape of the gem, sew the fabric to the armsock, and glue the gem to the fabric with contact cement?

14. Acey

If it helps, my girlfriend and I are attaching our Ruby and Sapphire gems with velcro...but they're also smaller than Lapis' gem, and them being removable is more important than with Lapis because it'd be a bitch to use your hands otherwise. :P

Also guess whose sewing machine needle just broke, and also guess who can't find her replacement needles? (Fortunately I can hand-sew the rest of what I need to do but AUGH.)

• Like x 1
  15. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

16. IvyLB

wow that sucks @Acey >:O bad sewing machine needle!
    and my suggestion for not glueing stuff to yourself would be to use a bit of clingfilm on your back as a barrier! unless that's a sensory problem.

17. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

So many straps to sew ;_;

This is where we left off last Sunday. I had to go back to work, so we'll be working on finishing up some major parts of the build (his helmet, the connecting straps on my armor that attach all the pieces that aren't the breastplate) and all the detail work on our own. Then we'll meet up for a con, hopefully in February if I can fit it in around work travel.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  18. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

So, my friend M and I have started working on my Nora Valkyrie outfit AND AHHHH IT'S SO FUN (except the damn bodice, because we fucked up one section and had to redo it)
    The dress is like a third done XD

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice