CSI: laboratory edition :(

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Ben, Jan 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

I haven't been on much lately because I'm doing undergrad thesis research, which is happening in my school's axolotl lab, which means I have approximately 100 teeny tanks to clean a day. It's pretty great, they're adorable, we're super lucky and because of the kind of research we're doing the vast majority of the animals get adopted out when we're done, etc. Unfortunately, something bad happened in the lab yesterday and I'm having a lot of trouble working through how it could have happened at all. (Also, like, I'm super sad...)

TW: animal death

We keep the animals in cups on cafeteria lunch trays, covered with a sheet of plastic grating to keep them from jumping out. Some of the cups are wrapped in tinfoil right now because the animals are recovering from surgery and need peace and quiet. My trays are in a rack that supports them on either side but not the middle. I always have the grating on when I put them back into the rack because it's a pain to make sure it's covering the tanks otherwise, and I'm a longtime fish-keeper who's had animals jump before.

So, I come in yesterday morning to feed animals, turn on the lights, and bam! There's an ex-olotl on the floor in front of my shelf!

The Mystery: Its cup had been on the front corner of the tray, right above where it fell... but it was totally covered by grate. To my knowledge, I hadn't messed with the tray at all the previous day beyond a general "are my animals alive?" check.

On a totally different shelf which I had cleaned the night before, an animal managed to jump into a neighbor's cup even though they were in the middle of the tray and covered by a solid layer of plastic. This would just have been humorous if it didn't happen the same night. As is, I'm super worried.

So anyway, I've been freaking out for like 24 hours that there's something obvious I'm missing. Any thoughts on the physics of the situation/small animal behavior would be appreciated.

• Witnessed x 2
  2. ZeroEsper

ZeroEsper Well-Known Member

Hey, I don't know things about axolotls, but every animal I've ever had has been a total escape artist whenever they want to. They'll do the most unpredictable shit. It definitely wasn't your fault.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. Ben

Ben Not entirely unlike a dragon

Very belated update: it turns out they fit through the little square holes on the grating, and that we actually have an alternate size hidden up on a shelf. Everyone else is fine!

Here is an extremely fat baby:
    IMG-3458.JPG

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice