Curse of the Blupee! [A Randomizer Thread]

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by 3strim, Feb 18, 2019.

1. 3strim

3strim Professional Accidental Rater

Inspired by me needing to scream about King Dodongo, I figured we could all use a thread to talk about or gripe over randomizers and the joys they give us.

What is a Randomizer?

A game hack for those who have played the game several times over and are comfortable with its mechanics, a randomizer changes the sequence of the game. The most popular ones are for assorted games in the Zelda series (ALttP, OoT, MM), though I have heard of a Metroid and several Mario-themed ones. Anything that would typically reward you with an item in the game may not give you exactly what you were expecting.

What is a 'Blupee' and why are we cursed with it?
    Spawning from Zelda Ocarina of Time's randomizer, a blupee is a blue rupee. There are twenty five chests with them in the game. However, a chest that would typically restock your arrows or bombs will reward you with a blue rupee instead if you lack the fairy bow or bomb bag.
    Considering this is a randomizer, there are often times where you do an incredibly difficult task (IE finish a race in a minute or less) and get naught but a blue rupee in return. Shit sucks, man.

2. 3strim

Now, if y'all will excuse me:

HOW DO YOU KILL KING DODONGO WITHOUT BOMBS OR EXPLOITS/HACKS?

3. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

There's also a really good Ori randomizer! There was actually a tournament of speedrunners racing each other in randomized Ori, standard logic, force trees mode, randomizer version 2.6, and then clues keymode mode for singles matches and shards keymode for coop matches.

(Or: the second difficulty level, you gotta visit all the places that'd give you a skill in the base game, and if you're playing 1v1 you get told the general area of one of the dungeon keys every 3 trees, and if you're playing 2v2 you have to find 3 out of 5 dungeon key shards per key scattered throughout the world in order to get the keys. You usually only need two of the three keys to gain access to all skill trees and the final escape sequence to complete the game, but sometimes you gotta go to Forlorn.)

It's currently at version 3, with such features as a bingo mode, pickups on Horu room completion cutscenes, and various modes that you select on seed creation that do things like open specific doors without you needing to do anything or delete the Horu lava.

It's here: https://orirando.com/

• Informative x 1
  4. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

incidentally the ori version of curse of the blupee was "oh no...it's 2 exp"

or worse

warmth returned

you go do some awful awful trick and it's. it's warmth returned. the event that does absolutely nothing, it doesn't even light up its icon on the pause menu because that bit was repurposed to track if you'd completed the ginso escape in randomizer to allow it to be randomized

and it's got the same text colour as the sunstone so for a split second you see red text and go !!!! sunstone!! and no.
    it's nothing.

at least the singular 1 exp pickup does something

• Witnessed x 1
  5. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Prayer. (how do you do that. CAN you do that???)

6. 3strim

apparently the answer is 'use infinite sword glitch and some other shit'.

despite ootrandomizer specifically using seeds that don't require glitches. but, y'know, odd one out.

• Informative x 1
  7. Wingyl

Wingyl Allegedly Magic

Oh hey even Casual logic in the Ori randomizer can require the glitch where you can break things with Stomp when you shouldn't really be able to

Like blue walls and baneling walls and so on

it only works from the right side of the wall though, coming from the left it doesn't work

8. HonestlyVan

HonestlyVan a very funny person who never tells jokes

I've been watching a ton of the Wind Waker randomiser and been wondering if it would be worth trying (although it's been A While since I last played WW) since it's apparently pretty easy to clear with casual strats...?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice