Dafuq did I just watch?

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Athol Magarac, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Athol Magarac

Athol Magarac I prefer reading posts without a lot of topics.

Well, I only got about 3 minutes in...

2. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

What does this have to do with drama offsite? This looks like it’s just a kid-focused learning vlogger. They’re popular among toddler-aged fans.

• Agree x 2
  3. Athol Magarac

I see a lot of "making fun of what I found on tumblr" posts that have nothing to do with drama here. Is there a better place to put it though?

4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

that would be because it doesn't have to do with drama here, but it is drama on tumblr we are talking about here
    While a video about children's toys fundamentally like... lacks the drama component.

(edit: fixed typo)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  5. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

I said offsite drama for a reason. A video showcasing the latest blind bag toy trend is hardly drama here or elsewhere.

Also probably the general chat? I actually like blind bag toy showcasing, it gives me the satisfaction of knowing what to expect from a toy without buying it myself and biting the bullet on if I get a “bad” result. So I don’t think the video is particularly “lol” worthy just because she presents the toys like you would see on Blues Clues or something.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Athol Magarac

Okay. I just feel like the combination is particularly cringe-worthy. It's like Cookie Monster being very specific about which brands he likes. (Great, now I want chips ahoy in a way that just baking some chocolate chip cookies won't fix.)

7. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

Does this hurt anyone or were you just looking to mock someone’s innocent fun and help for kids and parents who were interested in buying those toys? Because usually FID is for something that typically harms people and dissecting why it harms, moreso than it is mocking (I’m not saying mocking doesn’t happen, but that is not the intent of the board)

Because while I’m ehhh on HOW it’s presented I also know I’m not the target audience. The target audience is children under 8 or more. My youngest nephew would have played along with the woman. He would have enjoyed the video.

8. Athol Magarac

Hurt anyone? Not any more than using cartoon mascots and box prizes to sell "cereal."

I'm a little out-of-touch on a bunch of issues. This Monday's hoarders group meeting, I was really perplexed about a complaint about advertising because I haven't had much access to cable since I got married. We don't even have an antenna that's good for modern broadcast signals even though the tv-s can pick them up.

9. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

So if there’s no drama involved and it isn’t hurting anyone, why did you feel the need to bring it up in “fine imported drama” (or anywhere, for that matter?)

At best, if you had little ones like I my niece and nephew, you could find stress about them being into the blind bag toy craze, which promotes gambling, and THAT could be a topic of discussion here, but...To me it seems your issue is that this video (which wasn’t aimed at your particular target demographic in the first place) is childish. Which was the point.

If you want to complain for complaining’s sake you could do it in your vent, otherwise I don’t see this same topic getting much traction in the general chat board, either.

Edit; missed a phrase

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  10. Athol Magarac

At this point, it would be a derailment about how people think I'm saying something tangential to my beliefs and then bash me for a belief I don't hold. (I will not argue if the mods decide to move this thread to someplace more appropriate.)

It kinda is none of my business to do more than point and say "hey, is this a problem" which I kinda went into "hey, I think this is a problem, how bad is it because I think it really needs to be looked at."

I have this weird idea that somewhere in California, HappyMeals weren't allowed to have toys. (Do cereals even have prizes anymore, cause Cheerios never did AFAICT. I would not have eaten Cookie Crisp or <Unicorn Marshmallow Charms-ripoff> if not for the prize.) Which my authority is that I remember being a kid and Grandma would take me to McDonald's and complain because the same food without the shitty toy was cheaper. And I didn't even like french fries because the school cafeteria would serve McDonald's-quality fries almost every gorram day. (I like fries now, but I am SNOBBY about them.) I think the only other chain that even did happymeals at the time was a tiny chain that did roast beef sandwiches. I'd bitch about going to Burger King and their free crowns with any purchase.

I also have IDEAS that parents will just hand the kid a tablet to quiet them and not watch the video to know why their kid is freaking out with WANT over overpriced pieces of plastic. I have a shamefully large collection of blind-bag stuff which is like two spurts of joy for the price of a pack of cigarettes. (One when I buy the bag, one when I wait long enough to open it.)

11. IvyLB

yeah. frankly I do not think that the blind bag toy thing and mascot stuff is any worse than it was in the eighties when advertising regulation regarding children's programs were rolled back (incidentally -kisses my soundwave figure- for u reagan, the only arguably good thing u did is let free market ruin kids' TV in a way that allowed me to have gay robots now)

• Agree x 1
  12. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Thread moved.

• Informative x 1
  13. Athol Magarac

The mascot stuff in the 80's.. I kinda wish that I didn't live through that horror.

The rest of that is kinda over my head. Ping me about trying to put it in Shera terms in the morning. I'm likely to be AFK long before 10:30 pm New York.

14. Ouija

Ouija Nani the fuck?

None of the initial posts or your replies to me indicated anything further than mocking the creator of the video.

Thread title. "Dafuq did I just watch?" plus initial "I only got 3 min in" plus the video itself? No substance other than "look at this goofy video."

Reply (paraphrased), "I don't know where mocking [this video] would have been appropriate, do you know of a better place?" indicates no...real issue with the video, but can be implied with the initial post "This thing should be mocked for being goofy."

When asked about if the video was harming anyone after I pointed out FID was more for dissecting harmful mindsets, reply was "Well it's no worse than cereal mascots enticing children to buy their cereal." Not a harmful concept.

Then you brought up an issue that I'm not sure had to do with the video but more the concept of advertising, which wasn't what the woman in the video was doing because she's not sponsored (If you want to see a sponsored blind bag review channel, there's greatbigtoybox or pstoyreviews, off the top of my head). I can only assume it's tangentially related because these toys are probably advertised on tv. I don't know, I don't watch cartoon channels and don't even watch TV, if I'm honest. My grandfather keeps CBS/MSNBC/CNN/etc. on, so I suppose I listen to the ads from those channels, but those are geared toward adults. Perfumes, online stores like Overstock, new television, etc.

When I asked what your endgoal here was, you shifted it to imply I, as a replier, would "bash" you. I haven't said one word to you prior to this thread. Don't put words into my mouth in the future, thanks. I'll do the same for you. I'm italicizing the word imply because while you probably didn't mean me specifically and were basing it on your past interactions with this forum, you still included me. I don't appreciate that.

But that's an aside, and now I'll start quoting.

This wasn't apparent in your prior posts. I've elaborated above in short paragraphs per post made.

Yes, they have and do, ranging from CD games (I had several LightDog games from Cheerios, some Pokemon-themed spinner tops, and milk color-changing spoons from the general mills group (cookie crisp, lucky charms, etc) have been a thing afaik.

I don't understand what this has to do with cereal but living in California for all but two years of my life (and currently working in McDonald's) I don't remember? having this sort of situation come up. From what I remember there were mighty kid meals for the "bigger" kids so they could have more but still get the toy for a while but had been renamed/dropped, you can outright buy the toy without getting the meal, etc. You could be right, I haven't googled this and don't plan to because it's not in my interests, but I don't remember this being a thing here in the past.

Some parents do that. My cousin does not, and I don't. We engage with my cousin's children with the games they play, or they play with each other with our supervision. Again, that's a blanket statement that doesn't apply to everyone.

I stand by my statement at the end of the day that the video you linked is one of a genre I appreciate (blind bag toy reviews), geared for children (not adults like us), clearly isn't sponsored from the quality of the content, and therefore doesn't deserve mockery.

15. IvyLB

I can try, tho transformers was a lot more blatant about the toys first, story later approach than he-man/she-ra iirc, thing is this is something from a class i had several years ago that wasn't even mainly about the topic of how children's programming and advertising regulations interact/ed, just skirted by that topic briefly, so I'm not sure I can entirely do the topic justice?

Anyways there's really nothing wrong with channels geared towards kids, (especially if they're not one of those weird automated content generation algorithm horror chop shop things,) and frankly it's the job of the parents in question watching out for how much their kids get exposed to advertising and advertising-adjacent content, not someone who for all I can tell is making edutainment content geared towards pre-school aged kids using existing toys and characters in much the same way as like idk Mickey Mouse's Clubhouse is in tone, just minus the obviously big budget a company like disney can sink into the production of an animated series.

16. Athol Magarac

Woah, too many commas....
    Right, there is nothing inherently wrong with having stuff on Youtube for kids. A little screentime is actually good.

Okay, I'm not really up on the details. but I heard about some videos on Youtube that are marketed to kids without being kid-appropriate. "Minions learn colors" maybe?

Yep. Parents have to parent. As far as the rest of us, our responsibility goes to just reporting things that children shouldn't see at all if we happen to come across it. Basically make it so that the parents don't have to pre-watch everything. That video I linked doesn't fall into that category.

Okay, this is where I think it got confusing. I think you might have lost track of something?

It's the job of the parents to control their kids' exposure to advertising, not the video's author?

The only thing that even pinged as a concern was including the hatchimals in the story. The potential harm is barely worth the amount of fuss that came from mentioning it.

17. IvyLB

Ah, ye sorry. German is my first language and we love us some needlessly complicated sentence structure. I'll try to keep it to a minimum when I remember? I'm naturally wordy as fuck so I may forget/not slow down enough, sorry in advance!

Yep! I also make a difference between hobbyists and youtubers and big corps when it comes to this kind of content and who is responsible for what. Someone making learning videos for funsies in their basement has infinitely less influence than Mattel or Disney for example.

I dunno if I watched for enough to get to hatchimal stuff, but all I know about that whole thing was that there was some drama about avilability? i'm a bit rusty on my kids toys gossip.

18. Athol Magarac

She opens the door to the thing, pulls out a pony that was hiding inside. Because of screen-magic, some sort of "surprise toy" appeared in the jail-cell and then there was a short unboxing before going on to the next color match.

19. Athol Magarac

I think that the video was odd and uncomfortable. I wasn't mocking it for being "childish" or "complaining for complainings sake" like you were guessing.

I have been bashed on other topics because "this exists" became a whole "you support this and you must be (this) as well." I'm not going to look up what the specific (this) was but it might have been "anti-choice".

I'm going to have to go back to really try to understand the rest of it. Something isn't getting through very well.

20. IvyLB

okay but that's... pretty normal stuff for a toy centric edutainment channel? You gotta get kids' attention somehow, again most big corps can produce a big show based around their own IP, a youtuber may choose to just use MLP toys because they're available, and children will know the characters and get interested.
    This isn't anything to do with advertising or ~corrupting the minds of children for capitalism~ unless this woman is like secretly an MLP spokesperson, or getting paid big bucks by Hasbro to pretend to be a small scale youtuber.
    It also has nothing to do with Hatchimals as far as I can tell, given that toy has a very specific concept and brand which has nothing to do with My Little Pony.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice