dear art friends: I need resources

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by liminal, May 12, 2016.

1. liminal

liminal I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me

or just some direction.

I've got the tools to draw, I've been having fun filling up my sketchbook with little doodles. However I want to actually really improve? and for that I need to 1.) draw a lot which is cool because sometimes I remember that I like drawing and 2.) draw things that I normally avoid

like shading, perspective, foreshortening, all those folds in fabric. I don't mind figure drawing, and there are websites out there where you can practice figure drawing but I don't know if there are any sites like that for other things?

and the internet is huge, and I hit a wall trying to look for resources because executive dysfunction. So does anyone have a particular resource or tutorial that they like? Or if you do these things on your own what methods you use?

I think narrowing it down from endless streams of information to a couple of things will stop my brain from crying in the fetal position and I can move forward a little bit.

2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

bumping this thread, first of all to say omfg thank you @liminal for that figure drawing website, that is so dang cool! i've filled up a bunch of pages with shitty 30-second figure sketches already, wow that's hard. i actually modeled for life drawing classes several times before i ever started drawing, so being on the other side is really cool.

anyway: does anyone know any good tutorials for drawing faces? i am faceblind as hell, and while i can kind of rely on instinct for things like perspective and proportion, i just. do not have instincts for what faces look like.

4. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

So my tip for if you're having trouble with faces is find a picture of someone online. and flip it upside down. it forces your brain to look at the shapes more, instead of the fact it's a face

• Like x 5
  5. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

omg you used to model? o3o i always thought modeling for life drawing was super cool, how do you get into it ?

i can see if i can find a general chart of face proportions if you think that would help- i find being able to take a step back and stop looking at something as what it is but rather a bunch of relative positions and segments, i'm better able to do the thing.
    like, i stop thinking about 'ok this is a hand' to get the hand part right, i go 'ok a hand is like a forearm and a half long' and stuff like that. i need to pick out relative sizes and positions before i'm able to understand a thing

as far as resources; i would love as many coloring tuitorials as humanly possible.
    maybe some nice perspective refreshers, there's something about perspective that never clicks for me so far

6. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

the way i started modeling is the way i've gotten p much every other job in my life: a friend had an in. basically, i knew someone who modeled, and she told me it paid $10/hr. (this was back when starting wages for on-campus student jobs was like $6.50 so that was a big deal!) so i went down to the university's art department, signed up to be a model, and then would occasionally get calls when a class needed someone. years later, living in Ireland, i once again met someone who modeled for art classes, and was like HEY I KNOW HOW TO BE NAKED AND STAND STILL, hook me up!

it's an interesting experience to say the least. it's the most directly objectified i've ever felt, in that there's a whole crowd of people staring at you... and literally see you as a collection of planes and shapes and angles. it's actually really refreshing to be naked and have people look at you, not for titillation or to pick out flaws, but like you're a bowl of fruit.

and yeah, any sort of step-by-step breakdowns about proportions and planes and angles of faces would be suuuuuper helpful! i know how to do a basic wireframe but anything beyond that and i'm floundering. what do faces even look like.

• Like x 1
  7. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

aaa awesome ; w ; i feel like i need to get less weaksauce if i wanna model cause boy it is tiring work sometimes and since i've been the artist plenty a times, wow, it's annoying when the model keeps moving. come on i was just measuring your head heights dont move your head
    i always found the objectificationness of it really interesting even as a student!! there is something to a model just walking in and stripping and you just stare at them and forget that they're a person almost for an hour or two. rly cool to me idk.

anyways let me post a crappy google image of the basic head proportions my prof just taught like a week ago and see if i can regurgitate his words

[​IMG]

so basically if you go vertically and put a line in the middle of the head, halfway down, that is about where the eyes go. halfway between the eyes and the chin is the bottom of the nose, and 1/3 of the way down between the nose and the chin is the center line of the mouth. The head at eye height, in a straight forward position, is about 5 eyes wide, and the eyes are about 1 eye apart from each other. the outside of the nose generally lines up vertically with the inside corners of the eyes, and the middle of the eyes generally lines up vertically with the outside corners of the mouth. the ears are generally eye to bottom of nose height

that's the basic front proportions i know, but i also suck at faces, so additional help from other would be amazing
    also a good thing to remember with eyes is that your face isn't a flat plane across there- the inside corner of your eye is a farther forward than the outside corner, so you gotta keep the 3dness in mind

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice