Death Road To Canada: Eh-zerbeams or Bust

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by TheMockingCrows, Sep 8, 2016.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

SO. I'd wanted this game for -ages- and realized I had just enough left in my paypal account to get it. I've been absolutely hooked ever since.

You design yourself, you design your friends, you design -tons- of people you would like to run into. Give perks, talents, etc and a basic pixel design. Then, you pick a game mode. Want to run into more rare characters that are pre loaded? Want to only run into people you made? Go for it.

Onward to Canada: start in Florida, and drive to the safety of Canada and the arms of the Prime Minister surrounded by beavers, mounties and moose. The only thing in your way is... well. Millions of undead. Use your talents to fight, gather supplies, keep your car running and hauling your ass away from danger.

Tons of weapons, tons of cars (YOU CAN GET THE WEINERMOBILE, GUYS. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.) find genies in toilets, get DOGS (and eventually cats apparently!), spot familiar faces (Link, Don't Shit Your Pants guy, Bruce Lee, Elvis, Garfield. ..... who uh. is a special case, he's fucking terrifying. Tons Of Others.) become hulk, get possessed by a demon. Anything to survive and get some of that sweet maple syrup.

I want to scream about situations you find yourself in, who you make or play as, what kinds of weird teams you wind up with.

2. TheMockingCrows

So I'd been playing for a few days as myself, and running into a few friends I'd made aside from wild as fuck characters, and then it hit me.

I’m trash and realized “… why did I not add homestucks to this game” on DRTC.

So I added the kids and I’m screaming, they’re fucking accurate. But because I can’t control who I run into, it’s a crapshoot who finds who. My last death, I’d been playing as myself and was high powered as shit after finding Dirk and Jane and a friend of mine named Derek. I lost all hope and left, though, which sucked. Switched to Dirk because I liked his settings.

Became Hulk and worked a rusty machete and a sledgehammer.

Lost Jane in a siege, survived miserably for another few days then went out in a blaze of glory in the middle of a Ya’ll Mart at the hands of probably 60 zombies that I couldn’t escape from at all.

3. TheMockingCrows

I also learned the mystery of the Magical Girls: they are fantastic, but their heads go deformed after a day or so. Never figured out why.

Then the bitch -exploded-.

• Like x 1
  4. TheMockingCrows

I've gotten the toilet genie twice in these play throughs. So far, asking if he's evil will be a YEP and a room full of zombies as a parting gift. Eternal life turns you to stone but gives you some stat boosts to strength and such. Def worth it.

I also found THE LAST ROLL OF PRISTINE TOILET PAPER- sell that shit it's worth like 30 hamburgers.

5. TheMockingCrows

I'd mentioned Garfield earlier but I needed to write down what the fuck happened. I spotted a mascot suit against a wall and suddenly it started shouting I FRIGGIN' HATE MONDAYS or thereabout, and I could either run or "recruit for some reason". ...so I recruited him.

A few days down the road though, he suddenly took off his fucking head, shouted "THIS IS IT. THIS IS THE DAY THAT I HATE." and I was transported to an intense siege (that killed me, mind you) where the music was all distorted and hazy and the stage was SUPER small. I think he transported me to some awful back asswards demon space that massacred me because he hated Mondays that fucking much.

This. fucking. game.

... on a less spoopy note, at one point I was alone (I've been starting alone lately to have more fun finding people and speed running early spots :D) and told ghost stories at a fire to boost my morale.. but since I was alone, I told stories TO ghosts and if that's not the most accurate thing ever, idk what is.

• Like x 3
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I want to play this game.

7. TheMockingCrows

It is so much frigging fun, oh my god. Highly recommend.

Also, they're gonna be putting out a big update sometime this month with a lot MORE cool stuff, and apparently want to keep putting out big updates every 2-4 months in the future to keep things fresh. :D

8. TheMockingCrows

recent run:

Dave became demon!Dave very early on. Managed to find the Knight Sword, too. Located my friend Dunx and survived like a motherfucker for some time. Found Rose. Kicked much ass as a group. dunx and rose get eaten on the highway getting a new car, dave flees and survives. immediately finds Jade. survive like hell for another few days. get maimed in sewers and die.

JADE PICKS UP HIS CORPSE AND THROWS IT, IF i SAW THE ANIMATION RIGHT. He died in front of the door I needed to escape through, so trying to get into the door = picked up what was in the way. Then she died.

I just imagine this enraged howl, angry barking, THROWS BODY and then dives face first into hoard to try escaping somehow anyway but its just too much. The art style is so simplistic that none of it is scary, it's silly more than anything.

9. TheMockingCrows

Setting out for Canada once more as Dave, hatchet in hand. Had a hell of a run! Again was turned into a demon, so there's that. Got a sumo, my buddy Dana, and... Gnomey. A gnome riding a mouse, who has chronically low health. We all made it to Canada in one piece, I am astounded. GO GNOMEY, GO.

confirmed strategies: hiding in rooms during sieges can not only buy time if the fuckers have to break down the door (bless you doors, you can throw them off if they're very stupid.) but you can also bottleneck the bastards for easy slaying, or even to lead them in circles and escape out the doorway once they're gone like herding ducklings. Finding New Car can usually offer finding more gas, even if other car is in decent shape. and toilet treasures are fabulous.

• Like x 1
  10. TheMockingCrows

Still playing a lot, made it through a few runs successfully. Was a struggle for a while since when my computer was reset I lost my finished run record. BUT. Oh man fun happenings just now.

Dave and John are my starting duo, and we picked up a random third dude. I found a science machine in a basement, first time I’ve found it. Dave went in.

He emerged a furry.

He’s a dogtaur now and the avatar is precious and I can’t stop laughing.

YER A FURRY, DAVE. poor john, this isn’t like throwing your boyfriend into a vortex to rearrange his dna and make him cooler for profit and survival, this isn’t demonic possession, this is CONGRATS YOU’RE PUPPER.

So many arguments happened after that john wandered off, and other dude left. immediately found Roxy.

Roxy and pupper Dave: onward to Canada.

11. TheMockingCrows

BIG UPDATE! The dev got sick so the updates got delayed a bit. But there's a big beefy one out now, with Halloween special event goin' on, and more updates in November.

Their latest news update on it, aside from just the Halloween stuff:

Changes:

- Cats are in. Evolutionary pressure in the apocalypse has caused them to revert back to something like a mountain lion. They're big and angry.
    - Couple different ways to get cats recuirted to your team. They'll always be very rare, but we may add more ways to get them later.
    - Special events for cats. Despair, car driving, and more.
    - Cats don't give two poops about Canada or driving cars (pardon my French).
    - Cats can't become Superdogs in the usual sense.
    - Future support for more pet types. Currently in as failsafes, like if someone decides to try to make a pet mod.

- Losing a character in a CYOA event will now cause that character's weapons to drop into the trunk automatically!
    - There are some events that will still eat cause you to lose your weapons, so beware. This mostly includes events where you're betrayed, or events where someone is completely obliterated off the face of the earth.
    - Wielded weapon will drop to the trunk first. It will overwrite your trash slot if the trunk is completely full. If trunk is full, extra weapons will be lost.
    - "No drop" weapons won't end up in the trunk. No getting L*NK's sword, for example.

- Halloween weirdness if you play the game tomorrow.
    - Vampires like in the Twilight novels.
    - Mummies? I don't know.
    - Dancing skeletons.
    - Death itself.
    - Fancy new megaweapon.
    - New graveyard location!
    - New TERRIFYING trader in trader camps.
    - New rare city building with the Would You Kindly stream team, based on the results of the Death Road to Canada pre-launch race that they utterly failed at.
    - Some characters can float or even fly now.
    - Improved broom type.

- New Scythe weapon, somewhere in between a machete and knight sword in the weapon tiers.
    - Currently the scythe can be obtained a couple of ways in the existing farmer help event. We will add a couple more ways to get it in the next content update.

- Some NPC wandering behavior fixes.
    - Starting food changed so that the Ultrafit food bonus finally works.
    - Functionality added for checking if your current weapons could bash a door in, for events.
    - Fixed a particle effect glitch.
    - Greatly expanded the event handler for characters, allowing for fancier special abilities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice