Delving into the RP subforum

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by BlackholeKG, Jun 7, 2016.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Okay, so, I've sort of been peripherally aware since I joined this site that the RP subforum is a pretty huge subsection of the site, it containing more messages than even FID, and all. I love this community, and don't want to feel like I'm missing out on a part of it. The problem is, the existing content in the IGT forum seems to consist these really established, exceptionally dense roleplay universes which are supported by literally hundreds of pages of thread backlog. It's incredibly daunting! I'd love to get involved with some of what's happening there, but the thing is I simply don't have the time to read through several novel's worth of content to get up to date, and even if I tried, the story would constantly be pulling away from me as people make more posts, kinda creating a sisyphean task for me there. And I don't want to just skim, because then I feel like I'd be missing things... eh. I kinda have a weird thing about big text archives where they become super daunting for me, especially if they're still updating, it interacts with my weird thing about staying on top of reading all new content in weird ways.

But yeah, I guess I'm asking for advice in how I can participate in the roleplay forums without know anything about any of the ongoing roleplays there! Is there some way I can get up to speed without reading everything? I mean, I don't even know what boat trolls is, and haven't even ventured into Kintsugi in space, but I hear those getting tossed around a lot and feel like I'm missing out on something. Also, weirdmageddon tango, which until just now I thought was exclusively a Gravity Falls thing until I just discovered it was actually a pan-fandom thing! It kinda makes me wish I'd been around from the start, to get in from the ground level, instead of coming along later and being locked out by a seemingly indomitable archive. :'V

So, yes, any suggestions? It's not that I don't like roleplaying, I very much do love roleplaying! It's just that I always seem to turn up two months late to the party, when it's already been rolling for a few hundred pages, and then I can never join in with the community because I'm unable to pause time for two weeks to read everything there is to read so that I know the wherewithal to take part in everything. I could of course start a new roleplay myself but I feel like there are already some pretty big established ones which are the ones that most people probably frequent! (I don't know, I never tend to look in IGT because of this).

So yes, here's to me hopefully finding a good entry point, aha.

• Like x 2
  2. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

the shitposting rave 2 is basically for free-for-all pg-13 roleplaying and doesn't require you to catch up on any stories. like, it might be helpful for understanding it if you did read it the whole way through or read a few of the rps (the tango, the transformers rp, the gem rp, as a few examples) but you can participate in the rave without that.

and for the weirdmageddon tango, there is this google doc summarizing it, which is incomplete and hasn't been updated very regularly but exists all the same.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    • Like x 2
  3. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

This is a problem I have too. @_@

• Like x 1
  4. kmoss

kmoss whoops

I know both boat trolls and Kintsugi in space are huge, universe-wise
    and i don't really have any suggestion for catching up on boat-trolls; i caught up once only because i was bored and depressed for like two weeks, and am a very fast reader, and i know there's a lot of universe i've missed, so i just "watch the show", basically

i know somewhere in kintsugi in space was a big rough explanation post, but it was a ways back, and is probably incomplete. honestly, with kintsugi in space, i would really suggest just kind of diving in, and being ok with occasionally making missteps in the universe. some things are absolute kind of things, and some things are open to being bent a bit.

if you want the feel, i'd suggest reading a few of the ongoing rp's in kintsugi, and then if you have questions, drop in on the planning thread, possibly prefaced with "hey, haven't read, what's this/is it important"

5. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i think the general starting point is usually the shitposting rave - but i've never gone in there 'cause cross-fandom stuff usually breaks my brain, haha. but it seems to be a place to try out characters, interact with others, just have fun.

i would recommend Kintsugi in Space as a relatively easy starting point, except we're not very active, like, at all. basic idea: we made a colony. on a planetoid. in space. TADA (there's a worldbuilding thread in there, which you could skim for ideas on what areas are available/what the loose history is; you could also listen to my Welcome To Kintsugi episode (à la Welcome to Night Vale) as an introduction.) most people's spacesonas are at least loosely based on themselves (i.e. @jacktrash is Farmer Jesse w/the metal arm, @seebs is the incomprehensible fractal, @Snitchanon is an eldritch ball of tentacles, @IvyLB is a wee li'l one w/lots of pizzazz, @littlemissCodeless is a highly fashionable catlady ... etc). feel free to res any of the RP threads in that particular subforum, or make a new one.

weirdmageddon tango ... talk to @cryptoThelematrix. she's the GM. WT is impenetrable to me. yes it's panfandom but as far as I know there's a serious game going on over there with a big overarching plot? iunno man.

Boat Trolls is @jacktrash @roach @Vast Derp and @rainbowbarnacle's Homestuck RP. it's closed, but us readers have a commentary thread over in Fan Town. reading the Space Navy AU would be a good place to start if you didn't want to attack the main RP archives (linked in the commentary thread's first post), which are pretty long. but super great! the Boat Trolls crew are great writers and the clade is so much fun.

there are other smaller RPs going on in there: I know there's a Transformers one for sure, and a handful of ones that haven't gone as far.

what I would do, if I were you, would be to scan the list of topics and see if there are any universes that jump out at you as being fun to play in. then read the first post - I think most people have been pretty good about introducing the thread as closed or open RP, what the setting is, etc etc. i also believe there are at least a couple threads in IGT specifically devoted to people finding RP partners/groups, so that might be an idea as well! :)

i hope you are successful in finding a place to play :3

• Like x 4
  6. BlackholeKG

Hmm, it's difficult enough keeping up with all of the FID threads and other forum areas as it is, and they don't have backstory (usually). So my problem is, I can see the reading of ~all of the information~ become something that becomes really stressful for me. Hrrm. I don't want to miss out, though.

Maybe I'll try and chip away at a few of the longer threads, and browse through some of the smaller ones, and maybe I'll come back in like... a month? When I have parsed enough words to get started with a lot of them. Gosh darnit, why does having fun have to require so much groundwork? :V

• Like x 1
  7. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

sure, i can totally understand that. i think WT is definitely going to be difficult for that; i don't think Kintsugi in Space will be as bad, but it might be :/ i'd definitely take a look at some of the smaller threads and see if there is anything that interests you.

8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i second starting with the space navy au rather than 'canon' boat trolls verse if you want to know what boat trolls is. it stands alone, though some of it might seem a bit odd if you're not familiar with homestuck trolls. the werewolf au is also standalone, and that's not even homestuckish at all, just modernverse werewolves. do be aware they both have a lot of sex and violence, tho. (all the sex is consensual and most of the violence is heroic, if that matters.)

• Like x 1
  9. BlackholeKG

Well, I practically live and breathe Homestuck, do not mind violence and love sex, so those are all non-problems. Will take a look when I am free to read and see how far I get.

• Like x 2
  10. OnnaStik

OnnaStik Relatively nice for a bloodthirsty mercenary

I have other issues of my own that I don't want to hijack BKG's post with, do any of you guys want to PM me? Specifically someone who'd be okay with me being a little bit awful?

11. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

the space navy au is basically all about the rather sweet blackrom between a fine upstanding blueblood and an absolute wreck of a fishtroll, taking place on a carrier helmed by a troll known as the Captain Killer. i'm rather proud of a lot of the writing in it, and we have def been having a ton of fun. :)

• Like x 2
  12. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

All the rp here that I've ended up in spawned out of having a conversation with people, suddenly having character ideas, and then being like HEY GUESS WE'RE PLAYING THIS NOW

• Like x 5
  13. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Okay disclaimer: I am in a lot of RPs and usually from the start because I am drawn to RPs like an overworked moth to inspiration flames.

1) the shitposting rave 2: electric boogaloo is fun, easy-going and has like almost 0 rules. Some characters there have history with each other, some RPs use it as sort of a kiddie pool to test out plot ideas/IC conversations that then occassionally happen in canon, some people let their characters do meta-commentary on their actual RP canon there. Most of it is humerus humorous, some of it is philosophical, deadpool is there... And the best thing is there is no obligatio to backread at all! just throw a character in!

2) Weirdmageddon Tango is currently afaik not accepting new members, which I feel I should mention upfront. @cryptoThelematrix is indeed our GM, and responsible for the tight worldbuilding and overarching plot our pan-fandom and original Character cast can interact with. It's pretty dense and there's a shitton of content to catch up on but the gdocs @unknownanonymous linked upthread is a really good resource to get an idea of what is even going on.

3) The Escape From Homeworld Fan-Gem RP is pretty much dead sadly. But it has some really nice content you could read up on if you wanted to? It's about a bunch of Pearls that accidentally start a rebellion and need to escape!

4) Kintsugi in Space has some worldbuilding but most of it is by-committy and there is iirc a summary thread for just the finalized worldbuilding as opposed to the rambling discussion thread. It's pretty casual and not very fast in content generation these days.

5) The Dramatis Transformae RP is an OC-RP in the IDW Transformers canon and centers around a diplomatic delegation that is supposed to establish peaceful contact with The Intergalactic Council, a mostly Organic organisation. But really there is like... one character on board who actually knows what he is doing, everyone else is flying by the seat of their pants and infinitely more interested in flirting inappropriately than in actually working. Culture clashes, parties, a truckload of tragic past for every character, fights, passion, slightly murderous hellswans!
    (I feel like I should warn that there is an ongoing addiction plot line (which we spoiler tag), at least one on-screen foursome (which we didn't spoiler tag), graphic threats of violence and there will probably be babies in the future.) The plus point to this one is there is only about a month's worth of content! But it has two canon RP gdocs not in the thread which I should probably find and put into a resource thread or something at some point with all the character sketches, as well as two RP gdocs for an AU and a small little fanfic I wrote to establish one side of the AU RP (which comes with it's own catalogue of warnings). So maybe there is actually quite a lot of content :P

• Like x 4
  14. emythos

Regarding this, if you wanted to try and start it up again, I'm game
    I'm really sorry about the part where I dropped of the internet for like three-four months.

• Like x 1
  15. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

@emythos i'm glad you're back and doing okay! I'd also love to get that started up again, @IvyLB ... :D

• Like x 2
  16. IvyLB

Give me a few seconds to dig and get everyone tagged and I can start it up again!
    We could theoretically time skip to a more mundane deep space thing if we wanted, like idk weapons training or something

• Like x 2
  17. emythos

works for me
    (oh fuck I gotta remember how write smoke XD)

• Like x 2
  18. BlackholeKG

Hmm, shame WT is closed, that was the one I was most interested in. I'm not a real big Transformers or Steven Universe fan, so I guess that leaves Shitposting Rave and Kintsugi in Space. I'll probably poke around the former and try out a few things, maybe read up on the latter.

Darn, I wish I was around when all the current big roleplays started... The big, currently underway and very active ones sound the most fun. I mean, again, there's the prospect of me creating my own new roleplay. I've done that before, but I don't know how many people would be up for it. Hmm.

• Like x 2
  19. IvyLB

How many people are interested generally depends on what you bring up as an idea I feel :P
    and to be honest I wouldn't wish trying to catch up on WT on anyone right now even if we were accepting members because there is something like 60 characters that get at least semi-regularly played and it's all fairly overwhelming

• Like x 4
  20. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Yeah, it's become huge. Especially since several of us are running what are semi-NPCs associated with our main cast (e.g. Jame has her squad of troops, Sev has a bunch of people he brought over ...)

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice