Demographics

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by The Frood Abides, Sep 21, 2015.

1. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

I cannot be the only person who's curious about the statistics of our membership. For example: I know, because of the Seebs Effect, that we are more trans/autistic/mentally ill than general population, but I'd like to know how much. Also we're mostly North American with a handful of South Americans and Europeans, but I'm certain I'm missing some people from elsewhere, too.

Of course, one of the principles that distinguishes us from Tumblr SJ is that nobody has to out themselves to join a conversation. I feel like the best way of finding out would be to have some kind of anonymous survey, so that people who aren't comfortable revealing some personal things even to Kintsugi would be OK with volunteering that information. For SCIENCE.

I don't really know how to set up something like that, but I think it would be cool.

• Like x 10
  2. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

There's lots of those free survey sites, you could hook something up on one of those?

• Like x 4
  3. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

• Like x 3
  4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Can the trans or cis question include and option for "I donĀ“t know/am not sure?"

• Like x 6
  5. Izevel

Izevel capuchin hacker fucker

Or a fill-in-the-blank?
    I feel like I need to recant my entry; I ticked 'no' to genderweird, which feels wrong, because I am cis, but also genderweird :/ and I wouldn't call myself nonbinary, because I am very very much binary female identified, I just identify as partly male at the same time.
    Also, within the next three weeks I should need to tick 'professionally diagnosed' as well as 'self' and 'Seebs'.

6. smyxolotl

smyxolotl a person.

Could there be a "don't know" option on the autism question as well? And also an ADHD option on the mental illness question (or maybe that should be a separate question?). Um, and maybe a PTSD option as well, there seems to be a bunch of that around. Aaand maybe a question about pronouns, and one about sexuality? (Mostly for the sake of my own curiosity...)

Sorry but this is my way of saying that this project fills me with joy :D :D :D

7. Chiomi

Okay, added options, ADHD, pronouns, sexual orientation, and romantic orientation.

• Like x 1
  8. Chiomi

If you want to change options but can't edit it, go for it: I'm probably going to discard the first couple hours of data.

EDIT: All results can be viewed with pretty charts here.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Like x 4
  9. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

i fucking love statistics

• Like x 2
  10. shinji

shinji not your savior

the romantic orientation question really confuses me, is 'yes' for bi/pan identities, and no for aromantic? sorry,

11. An Actual Bird

An Actual Bird neverthelass, Brid persisted, ate third baggel

I read it as a joke along the lines of people, when asked for their sex on a form, answering "yes"/"yes please"/"no" instead of their sex. So, yeah, in this context 'yes' probably means 'romantic' and 'no' is 'aromantic'.

12. Chiomi

Yeah, sort of a joke, but also to try to avoid identity labels for attraction, since that can get kind of fraught. So 'yes' would be 'no specifically gendered qualifications for attraction', generally considered bi or pan, and 'no' would be 'no particular attraction to anyone'.

• Like x 5
  13. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I managed to avoid putting "Just fuck me up" for the pronoun fill in and it was difficult

• Like x 5
  14. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors Merely a whitebait in the mayo of life

@Starcrossedsky
    It's okay, I answered 'I HATE THIS QUESTION' for that. Hahaha. Ha.

15. Izevel

Izevel capuchin hacker fucker

Are you going to discard the first couple hours' data? And if so, when did/will you do it? :)

16. Chiomi

I'm not going to discard it: I apparently can't easily. So I guess it'll just have noise and be as accurate as other statistics.

• Like x 1
  17. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I think people can edit their answers or take it again and

Also, you forgot what is clearly the most important demographic, Homestucks vs non-Homestucks :P

• Like x 8
  18. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i wasn't sure if '???' for romantic and sexual orientation meant 'i don't even know' or nonbinary-presenting people. i chose it 'cause of the former interpretation.
    and i had trouble choosing between nb and not sure for gender identity. ended up choosing nonbinary. 'cause, like, i dunno, the specific way in which i might be described as Not Sure also seems rather nonbinary. and it probably means something that i wasn't considering the rest of the options.
    yeah... having to Define my identity, to Write It Down, that really gets me thinking about it, basically.
    and my gender identity and sexuality and romantic orientation are the most tenuous parts of my identity for me. like, i know everything else but those are far more complicated.

19. Chiomi

The ??? option was for I don't even know - it's the one I went with, because what the fuck even is anything. It actually didn't occur to me to make an option specifically for attraction to nonbinary-presenting people because, in general, they're a small enough segment of the population that I would generally consider it 'only under certain circumstances.'

But I can add that option if it would be good! The shape of the survey definitely reflects my assumptions and premises and correcting for my biases would make it better science.

• Like x 3
  20. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

@Chiomi :D yay, i did it right!
    ('i don't even know' was what i was going for, as i said before.)

and really, i don't know whether adding that option would be good - might reduce confusion about what '???' is at least - since, well, i didn't need it. just yeah, '???' was rather vague and i wanted to make sure i'd fully considered what it could mean. so yeah... i dunno really...

anyway, yep, correcting for biases, that's definitely good! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice