Dependent Personality Disorder Resources?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by michinyo, Apr 29, 2019.

1. michinyo

michinyo On that Dumb Bitch Juice diet

My therapist recently diagnosed me with dependent personality disorder, and I want to know if anyone has any resources or coping mechanisms they'd be willing to share. I really appreciate anything, thank you.

2. idiomie

idiomie I, A Shark Apologist

i don't remember if you're in a relationship, but something i find really difficult is being okay with my partners having friends and a life outside of me. when they make plans that don't include me, i try to make conflicting plans, so that i am also busy - if i am out with friends, it's harder to be upset and obsessing about how my partner isn't with me and paying attention to me right now

i've also found dbt to be really helpful with the spirals i'll go down, which is very broad orz

idk learning to just sit with "i'm uncomfortable and this situation that rationally i know is totally chill is making me want to claw my way out of my skin" has helped a lot. like, i lack "emotional object permanence" so when i'm upset about anything, clearly i've only ever been upset and everything will be terrible like this forever, and learning to disengage from the fever pitch of that thread and just. spend time hanging out with it

also, with someone you trust and who understands what's wrong, roleplaying disagreements helped me a lot. practicing being able to disagree gave me something to fall back on as familiar when i actually disagree

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice