Derails

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by BlackholeKG, Jan 26, 2017.

1. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Okay so there are two conflicting viewpoints here and people keep snarking/vagueing at eachother about them so maybe let's clear up policy.
    1. Viewpoint 1: "I like the natural and organic flow of conversation. I like the loose conversational style in a thread that allows different things to be discussed and for people to be social and let the discussion vary about a central theme. This makes the forum more pleasant and allows for more varied discussion and interactions."
    2. Viewpoint 2: "I come to a thread to read about a particular thing, and it upsets me when I discover people making multiple page derails to talk about something not concerning that thing. I think they should put their auxiliary discussion somewhere else as soon as they can so that the thread can remain strictly on topic and people don't have to wade through many posts that they feel are irrelevant."
    At the moment there's this double standard on the forum where some people will happily entertain wandering conversations and allow them to go on, then another person will come in and demand the content go elsewhere. Some thread OPs try to take matters into their own hands and boot people out of the thread. Sometimes whether or not a derail will be objected to depends on how much people reading it are personally invested in the subject. Sometimes whether or not a derail will be moved will depend on how angrily people object to it being in the thread, and some people do get very vehement about this, which in turn makes other people distressed. Other people don't like being forced to move things because that in and of itself disrupts the conversation, causes people who only post in the first thread to drop out, and because requests that things go elsewhere also disrupt threads.

I'm personally of viewpoint 1. But obviously other people feel otherwise.

Can we perhaps nail down a forum policy on this so people stop attacking each other over it?

Thanks.

• Like x 2
  2. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I'd err on, let's make a per-thread policy instead. Some threads are meant to be very focused on their topic, other threads are meant to be silly, and a majority of threads have some room for variety in what they discuss.

• Like x 3
  3. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i think that's an oversimplification, because while i dislike long multiple page derails i don't mind a loose conversation style that permits wandering from its central theme.

• Like x 3
  4. swirlingflight

Yeah. There's more than two viewpoints here. And given that this is Kintsugi, and we don't do rules for rules' sake, but guidelines of what we've determined to be the most functional/beneficial such that there's intrinsic motivation to go with those guidelines... I parsed the thread's real purpose as being

"so right now people disagree about whether/how long derails should be, and snark about it an unpleasant amount when derails happen. can we come up with some kind of agreement for when and how long derails should go, because the snark is freaking annoying."

• Like x 1
  5. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I wind up in the Viewpoint 2 camp a lot, but I feel like that's just me being petty and wanting my content right noooow rather than having to sift through a large quantity of posts. Generally speaking forums, especially a forum meant to be (at least I think) somewhat breezy and trying to maintain humor and happiness while discussing some dark topics, are better off with and work better naturally using Viewpoint 1 in my opinion.

6. swirlingflight

So far, I don't think there's not gonna be a forum-wide agreement. Is there any reason for people who have a favored policy to agree "okay sure we can do the one I don't like, in every thread, forever" ?

And again, it's Kintsugi.

I think the best way to convince people to decide on consistent policies isn't to make a single ill-fitting arbitrary forum-wide policy, but to go with a per-thread basis, and to consider in each thread what would be best.

Like, over with most of the roleplaying threads, there's separate threads for the in-character roleplaying, the out-of-character conversation, and sometimes even a third out-of-character thread for nonplayers to come in and chat and popcorn.gif at the things going on. Weirdmaggedon Tango has a couple extra threads for archiving things like character appearances' and useful information about setting and characters.

If CDCF had been/stayed a thread focused on archiving screenshots and links of CronusAmporaa's bs, without the history of dissecting the ways he's insisting his inaccurate characterization the best one, or the occasional shitpost tangents, then the recent trend of pages of robots would be really really clearly out of line. But that kind of thing happened slowly, partly because there wasn't a clear this is how this thread functions understanding, but a muddle of a bunch of contributors pushing for one thing or another over time.

@BlackholeKG I see you saying "we need a policy so people will stop snarking at each other about doing it wrong." But if we pick one or the other for the whole forum, not only will that increase the snarking from the people who dislike the chosen policy* but I personally will increase my snarking because I don't want forum-wide rules.

*eta I typed party instead of policy. I see I'm projecting my irritation with two-party politics all over this thread.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    • Like x 10
  7. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

There's definitely that too. This whole place is supposed to be extremely rules-light. People will snark and fight but we're trying to avoid official mandates as much as possible.

8. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

i like the per thread basis thing. some threads are much more communally moderated than individually? an relatively extreme example here is some of the fan town threads that were created by people not even active in the forum anymore.

in thread with a clear moderator/person in control (like a vent thread, or ita, or rp thread etc) i think kicking out derailers whenever is no biggie but like the tumblr.txt for example is much less moderated as a thing? but it's also not always as clear cut as that.

• Like x 4
  9. keltka

keltka the green and brown one

Maybe instead of a forum-wide Hard Policy, something like a set script kinda thing?
    So instead of snark or aggression, there's a way for people to go "I do not like or want this thing" in a way that won't upset other people?
    The idea being, get the point across without causing worry or fear or hurt feelings, maybe

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice