Disability Status weirdness?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Allenna, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Allenna

Allenna I am not a Dragon. Or a Robot. Really.

So I reapplied friday and even though that said five days, I checked my status tonight -- and they said a decision was made? And I'm confused and worried because ?!!! It's not been five days? I just sent in my medical documents, I didn't get a functioning packet even? How could they already have a decision that I now have to wait for by mail? I don't understand this at all and I'm worried they just rubber stamped denied me because of all the bullshit in september with a hearing I wasn't told about then them claiming they didn't get my letter about WHY I missed my hearing and full out throwing my case out. But all the lawyers I all talked to said to apply again and then come back to them if/when I was denied.

I mean granted I had a ton more info I was able to get them - including childhood stuff, but -- how could they make any decision in less than three days?

2. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

They basically reject everyone with mental issues by default the first time around. It's normal. Once you get the rejection letter, take it to a lawyer.

3. Allenna

My confusion is that I didn't get rejected straight out last time and Autism is supposed to be one of there "we def accept this" things. So I'm just...confused and worried. But I'll take a deep breath and see what the mail brings or try to call the number on the status page tomorrow.

4. Allenna

Half asleep update: called number, very nice lady tried to find info for me and agreed that was oddly fast and assured me I was fine worrying. She sadly couldnt tell me what the decision was but assured me if it was a denial I could appeal and that my change is diagnosis might have been an issue. Ie I applied 2 years ago as bipolar, depressive add, then got proper not done by grad student diagnosis.

Thank you @Vacuum Energy for the calming words.

5. Allenna

Hahah, yeah they denied me claiming they'd already denied me for the same thing before. Which no. No bro the words bipolar disorder and autism plus dpd plus depression look nothing alike. *sighs* At least I have a lawyer sorta lined up that googling didn't show to be an ambulance chaser or a scam and said particular they deal with mental health and things like autism.

6. Allenna

*sobs* Okay, I'm not handling this okay anymore. I'm on hold which will apparently last 35 minutes.

7. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

so....what exactly happened? are they making you appeal it, or did you choose to appeal it after you got denied?

8. Allenna

Okay first go around: I applied back in 2010 for disability with the very wrong diagnosis my school health center gave me (or I should say the grad student they had do my stuff gave me): bipolar disorder with depression.

It's an uphill climb the whole way, I'm rarely in treatment or being able to see a doctor. Lots of appeals.

2014: I finally get my mom to agree to pay for me to get a proper full digonis from a place specializing in autism and other cognitive issues. Digonis from fully trained doctor: autism, social anxiety, depressive disorder, and dependent personality disorder. I send this to social security.

Get myself a haring sometimes early 2015. Come to find out they had gotten NONE of the new paper work or anything. Frantically send it in. Hearing day rolls around. Judge sees I have no lawyer, see I just fired my lawyer than wasn't doing jack or shit, see they just got a bunch of paper work - and postpones the hearing to a date to be set.

Come Sept 2015 I'm out of town visting my now former partner. I get a phone call reminding me about my hearing THREE DAYS AWAY. Cue frantic calls and faxes. Nothing. Get letter saying I must explain why I missed the hearing or else. Send in letter. Get letter later saying they never heard anything so whoops your denied. Bye.

At a point very soon after this concentrating on getting meds and starting therapy back up and well not possibly being committed because an rather big issue.

Friday the March 11, I reapply since I'm feeling like I can full handle this, I've got proof to show I'm in treatment, I'm on meds, etc. I've now got a ton of paper work from childhood to add to the mix that had to be dug out of a file storage warehouse in maryland. With in one or two business days I get told a decision has been made. I've just mailed out the medical paper work the application told me too (glad I did it priority and made them sign for it, not mailing these guys anything without doing that from now on).

Today: I get my letter. Denied. Letter says they've already denied me for this 'same condition' ?_? but I can apply at the website. Make a pdf of the denial letter for lawfirm I've been in contact with (they couldn't help until I had a denial letter). Go to appeal online because I want to get the ball rolling. Website says "Haha you can appeal online silly! Go use a phone or go to the local office, because you know that just so easy.

And that's where I am. On hold, because my anxiety will not let me wait for the lawfirm to contact me because what if it takes several days? What if SS decides I've missed my chance to appeal. WHAT IF. Which yeah isn't reality at all. But you know just typing this out kinda helped. I still feel ready to cry, but yeah.

9. chaoticArbiter

huh.
    so here's how it's gone with my experience:
    1. apply, be denied, appeal, be denied
    2. apply, be denied, appeal, be denied
    3. apply, possibly be accepted, if not accepted, appeal, be accepted
    so I'm...not sure what's up with yours?
    and I'm not sure what's up with being denied for applying for the same condition--especially since that doesn't seem true--because I was under the impression that you could apply using the same condition more than once, and get accepted even if you'd been denied before?

10. Allenna

any now I'm sobbing on the phone because they aren't listening to me and he won't just tell me where I'm supposed to go online for the 'welfare' disablity I apprently should have appeled for and since apprenlty my 'condtion' apprenlty wasn't before 2010 WHICH DOESNT MAKE MEDICAL SENSE ssi isnt' what I'm allowed to use and I don't understand

11. chaoticArbiter

....I'm very confused, and unfortunately I don't think I can help...I'm sorry :(

12. Allenna

It's okay I'm confused too.

Got an appointment one phone to I’m not really sure –submit new info? on tuesday april 5. emailed law firm I was talking to all dets. They may have me change it to in person. I don’t know. I’m exhausted and had a meltdown on the phone. I still don’t understand something but. I hope the lawyer can just fix things.

13. chaoticArbiter

good luck!!! I hope things work out for you.

14. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

Where are you? I don't do SS work, but I may be able to point you to someone who does (and does a good job at it).

15. Allenna

16. Allenna

Dallas, Texas.

(sorry just saw this)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  17. Allenna

also do they train SS people to be mean and nasty and accusing? Why would they even ask me how much my car is worth. I'm not selling my car.

18. Allenna

Disability update! A letter was received today. They claim they don’t have enough medical information on my conditions so they are having me have a examination with a doctor of their choosing (same I saw last time they did this song and dance with me - the one that said she thought I had autism). July 14 is the date so I’ll have some time to talk to therapist and et all. Advice welcome

19. Aqua Vitae

Aqua Vitae put some honey and sea water by your bed.

One of the best pieces of advice I got for while I was going through all the red tape was to fill out all forms and answer personal questions as though I was experiencing my worst kind of day most of the time.

Example: If it's true that sometimes I can't get out of bed to feed myself or shower or clean around the house, I tell them I can't do those things point blank most of the time. I tell them all of my symptoms, big to small, and I explain how they affect me in daily life. Which is heavily. This is to hammer home that part time work is not an option, a sitting down job is not an option.

A good lawyer is very important. If you can, find one that specializes in disability claims. The one that I got worked for free unless I won (which I did) and then took a percentage of my backpay. No out of pocket expenses.

Start bringing your paperwork to an SS office directly if that's an option.

You asked about why they wanted your car info: It's an asset. You could sell it if you needed to badly enough, or at least that's the government's position on it, and that's all they care about. Who needs real life logistics, amirite.

• Like x 2
  20. Salted Earth

Salted Earth DISOWNING DOESN'T STACK, ASSHOLE

My psychologist at the time told me the same thing as @Aqua Vitae - that I should show the doctor inspecting me for disability my very worst side. Even though I had a lot of restraining bolts in place to make sure my behaviour was acceptable in public, I had to release them and get visibly upset and stutter and cry and be uncertain and generally look like the mess I normally was instead of the temporarily collected human I otherwise tried to be. (That's why I was denied for disability the first time - I didn't crack in front of anyone so they assumed I was being dramatic.)

Aside from that, my country's system for disability is different to yours - we usually don't have to involve lawyers - but I wish you the best of luck. This process is harrowing and scary and blatantly unfair a lot of the time. :(

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice