disabled likes in this forum

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, May 20, 2016.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

After a couple of occasions of seeing people get offended by which posts were and weren't liked in debateish things, I've turned off the "like" permission here.

2. rorleuaisen

rorleuaisen Frozen Dreamer

You mock me. How am I supposed to like this rule change??? Denied again! *sulks in corner*

• Like x 1
  3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

idk dude i think maybe that's a bit too micromanagey. i'd just let folk go ahead and get offended.

• Like x 1
  4. seebs

i might in general, but we had a blowup happening and i figured i'd just go ahead and do the thing. maybe change it later.

5. jacktrash

ok, i'll poke at the idea in a week or two. i just don't think trying to keep people from getting upset about talking to each other is a road worth going down. it leads to tumblr.

• Like x 1
  6. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

I would just like to say that I am in general not a fan of banning likes. It is both my way of communicating "yes this is what i was thinking as well" without burning spoons and also how I keep my brain from going "you said a dumb thing and now everyone secretly hates you forever"

• Like x 2
  7. seebs

That's a point. My concern is that when tempers get heated, if there's likes on a post that someone takes as highly insulting, that can really rapidly increase the risk of things going Very Wrong. I'll revisit this in a bit.

8. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I think the argument in Seebs' writing thread is another part of the ongoing argument on argument island and not really anything to do with this particular subforum - which is to say that I think likes are a useful communication tool on the Meta subforum (e.g. for seconding emoticon requests) and if there's a conflict happening here then it should either be taken to argument island or people should be allowed to like posts as a result of the thread location.

Since this subforum isn't designated for arguments, and in general isn't a particularly divisive bit of the forum, the action of removing likes when an argument kicks off bothers me. It feels like it's setting a precedent for cordoning off any section of the forum and saying "okay, this is for arguments now."

• Like x 1
  9. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i want to like this :(

• Like x 1
  10. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

I'd love to like this
    but I can't.

• Like x 1
  11. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

i don't think this is a particularly fighty subforum, actually, so turning off likes probably wouldn't be necessary most of the time in here. the only fights in here, i think, are mere extensions of the ongoing DID Thread-Inspired Argument. which i think is basically the most long lasting and forum impacting one to ever happen here.

• Like x 1
  12. Xavius Emeritus

Xavius Emeritus Suit Monkey

I think Euler hit the nail on the head.

Or, in other words:

[​IMG]

In all seriousness though, yeah, the topics here might have started in good faith as a meta-argument but they've wound up being further steps of the stuff that's already being confined to the forum where likes are disabled. Why not just transfer all or part of it over there?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like x 1
  13. seebs

Huh, that's a really good point. Thing is, I want to maintain the distinction between "all-purpose arguments" and "forum admin questions and discussions and the like", because users who don't otherwise want to read arguments might have opinions on arguments related to forum administration.

I am not sure how to resolve that. I wonder if there's a per-thread setting.

14. jacktrash

well, my solution would be to move the 'clarity' thread to argument island and let meta be meta.

• Like x 1
  15. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

this post serves as a like function for all of the above

• Like x 1
  16. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

liked

• Like x 1
  17. seebs

That would work for this, probably, but what happens in the general case of argumentative threads that are solely about forum administration? Hmm.

18. seebs

eh, it's a good plan for now anyway

• Like x 1
  19. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

I feel like/suspect mainly-neutral discussions about forum administration would greatly benefit from having likes enabled - easy way to gauge interest/agreement without everyone actually having to chime in. When things head into argument territory, I feel like they usually have a significant amount of personal beef along with them - like, it stops being a matter of pure administration and becomes a personal disagreement. (I could be absolutely wrong on this; just observing/extrapolating.) At that point, perhaps it would be best moved to argument island. I think that may have to be a case-by-case basis. Have we had any other arguments in the meta forum? Do we have other precedent?

• Like x 4
  20. seebs

Yeah, I think I probably jumped the gun on that one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice