disabled likes in this forum

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, May 20, 2016.

1. EulersBidentity

EulersBidentity e^i*[bi] + 1

I mean, my impression has been that argument island isn't intended as a total quarantine for arguments but rather a space that's better equipped for facilitating conflict resolution between users. You can't prevent arguments from happening outside of argument island, but that doesn't mean that the rest of the forum also needs to become a venue for conflict resolution at the cost of a fun & useful tool: we already have a subforum for that.

IMHO if arguments are happening outside argument island, either the participants can move to argument island or they can accept that their argument is in a public space.

• Like x 12
  2. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 5
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

basically, yeah, @seebs, arguments happen and it's annoying when you get into Overprotective Mom Friend and try to control them too much. like, i get that it's tempting to try to smooth things over and prevent conflict and try to make everything super awesome for the people you care about, but this is a case in which it felt like just... too much. like you didn't trust us, fundamentally.

• Like x 5
  4. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Well, my trust supply is at a very low ebb at the moment with regards to forum users not hurting each other, so yeah. If people get into a fight and are being triggered, seeing likes on the triggery posts can be really, really, bad. But as noted, I'm not sure it's practically fixable.

• Like x 1
  5. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

babe, it's not your job to fix that, even if it is fixable. you're essentially a party host, not a school principal. don't mom the forum so hard.

it will be ok. *pets*

• Like x 10
  6. seebs

I remain skeptical. Way too many blow-ups over stupid shit lately.

7. peripheral

peripheral Kinky Digamma

Hey, @seebs as someone who unironically calls you Fractlemom a lot-

I think part of the reason my mom isn't quite so great is cause she tries not to allow for the growing up and whacking into each other that is part of arguing and stuff?
    She will try and smooth over and put away things and I know you don't want people you like on the forum to hurt each other, but think about it, people are still trying to work things out, even when they got triggered and stuff.

I am not making much sense but basically you are too cool to turn into my mom don' do it.

I promise i am not trying to emotionally manipulate, i know that wouldn't work.

i am very tired. though.

so i have a -5 in coherency or somethin

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Like x 5
  8. peripheral

peripheral Kinky Digamma

Basically:

We're all grown ups or nearly grown ups and we have to learn what happens when we headbutt into each other.

I think.

I will get back to you when I am more not asleep and I'm also not in latin class.

:shynautica:

• Like x 7
  9. blue

blue hightown funk you up

regardless of whether likes-on-arguments are suboptimal, getting rid of likes on this subforum specifically doesn't do much to help that, bc I don't think there's a *much* higher frequency of arguments in this subforum than.. in any other given subforum. like, Fine Imported Drama has spawned arguments, Brainbent has spawned arguments.. and those are typically neither un-likable-ified or immediately quarantined to the Scottish forum.

• Like x 8
  10. seebs

Yeah, fair point.

I have been grumpy lately. Oh, well.

• Like x 2
  11. jacktrash

i know how to de-grump you...

eyebrow bowie.gif

• Like x 3
  12. seebs

suck my dick, faggot

• Like x 5
  13. jacktrash

my nose is still stuffed up, how about we go with a hearty 'fuck you' :D :D

edit: or me, that works too

• Like x 2
  14. Mala

Mala Well-Known Member

• Like x 5
  15. kmoss

kmoss whoops

oh god I hope so

• Like x 3
  16. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

To be honest, the "clarity of seeb's writing" thread struck me more about a particular forum administrator than about forum administration, which is kind of why it felt like it didn't really belong here. This place feels like it should be things of the form "stuff that should be true about the forum regardless of who is in charge" except in very extenuating circumstances. Administration style, powers, limitations, guidelines, those kind of things, rather than the behaviors of individual administrators.

• Like x 2
  17. seebs

The reason I posted it here was the relevance of the question to forum operation; if my writing about forum policies is not clear enough, that's an issue that needs resolving.

18. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

I don't think your actual forum policies ever seem to be unclear to people? The particular thread that prompted the question of clarity was a meandering, incoherent mess, but generally when you just say "I'm going to do a thing" or "I'd rather you don't do a thing" or "does somebody need me to do a thing" and then leave it at that, people find their way around to figuring out what you mean pretty quickly. They might argue with you, but it doesn't seem to cause confusion unless you start word-vomiting. Or maybe it does cause confusion but because the conversation is less dense there is more of a chance for disambiguation to make its way in. Or maybe there still is confusion but it ends up not really making a significant difference.
    Anyway, I think that what I've seen of this forum seems to be that you stating policies and then having to rescind them later in the face of arguments works, you trying to ask for policy suggestions in the midst of attempting to explain your thought processes doesn't, and it's really the attempting to explain your thought processes that gets you in trouble. Your policy declarations seem to be clear enough.

• Like x 4
  19. jacktrash

having thought it through a bit, i reckon i agree with exo. the clarity discussion has relevance for forum meta, but is not in itself forum meta. honestly, that whole thread is mainly dissecting arguments and misunderstandings from other threads, and i think argument island would be a better place for it on that account.

• Like x 6
  20. seebs

There was an assertion that my writing was in general unclear, which is why I ran a poll to find out whether this was the case as experienced by people reading this forum.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice