Disagreement, power, threats, and all that

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Feb 1, 2017.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Okay, so, the most important thing is:

I hate threats.

I used to participate in an IRC channel. I had op privileges, so I could kick/ban people. I generally turned my op privileges off, so I could ask people to cease behaving badly without visible op privileges, because I did not want even the implicit threat of use of power to affect their choices. I did, on occasion, then ban people from the channel.

What I didn't do was use the looming spectre of op powers to try to make them change their behavior, because I hate that. I really, really, do not feel even a tiny bit okay with threats as a thing.

If I decide I need to do a thing, I'm gonna do it. I'm not generally going to use "warnings" of possible use-of-power, because those are a kind of a threat, and I hate threats.

I am also very, very, opposed to using my admin powers to confront "disagreement". If I don't think you're actually hurting other users or yourself fairly directly, I'm not gonna use my admin powers to stop you. I do sometimes delete suicide-baiting posts, for instance. I don't send people things saying "hey if you don't stop suicide-baiting, I'm gonna delete posts". I just delete them. But if you're disagreeing with me, if you're accusing me of things, whatever... That's fine! I encourage that. I don't object to people doing things like that, they are important to the wellbeing of the forum.

Sometimes people who tell me I'm wrong are, I think, mistaken. Heck, sometimes I think they're being dishonest. But that's okay! I still try to read and consider such criticisms every time, because I know that sometimes they are right. And it's more important that I hear about the actual problems than that I protect my precious ego.

Sadly, the forum where we had the best example of this is long gone, but there was a forum I used to be on that had a multi-page thread about how I was the worst mod ever, and I was a cheerful participant. Even the people on staff who pretty much hated me conceded that, if there was one concern they did not have about my behavior, it was worries that I was "thin-skinned".

If you piss me off enough that I seriously can't deal with reading your bullshit anymore, I might put you on ignore. That's it. I'm not going to punish you, I'm not going to out your subaccounts. (I might point out how silly it is to make a subaccount to avoid the admin knowing who's being critical, because I can see subaccounts, but I actually went and tweaked the software to make subaccounts less visible to me because I didn't like the software showing me that by default on profile pages.)

I note, I am not making an absolute blanket declaration that there's no circumstance where I'd ever out a subaccount. You could probably create a circumstance where I would. Like, if the same user were both suicide-baiting someone and talking about how horrible it is and how it's probably [someone else]? Sure, I might point that one out. But in general? Nah, subaccounts are there to let you avoid tying your interactions to each other.

• Like x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice