Do I call in a welfare check for my neighbour?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Nertbugs, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

The short version of the story: My downstairs neighbour has been exhibiting some worrying behaviour, and I'm trying to work out whether I should call in a welfare check. I should say now: we're based in the UK and I have no idea how to go about this.

The long version of the story: About 3 or 4 months ago someone moved in to the flat underneath ours. We've never seen this person. All was well for a while, but over the past couple of weeks things have gotten... weird. The neighbour has been making a lot of noise. Lots of very loud talking, shouting, singing, etc. To begin with there was loud music as well but that seems to have stopped over the past few days. The rest has carried on. This noise can happen at any time of day: sometimes lasting for hours, sometimes until well past midnight.

I've lived next to noisy neighbours before and this... doesn't sound the same. I can hear this person quite clearly even with the windows shut. It doesn't sound like there's anyone living with them. They will rant, non stop, for hours at a time. What they're saying doesn't make a whole lot of sense. There's a lot of repetition of certain phrases. I don't think they're on the phone, because there aren't any pauses or anything that sounds like a reaction to something someone else is saying. I don't think they're drunk, because they don't slur and I don't hear them stumbling about. It might be drugs I guess, but I can't say for sure.

A few days ago my partner and I decided to pop a note through their letterbox. I tried to use friendly language. I basically asked if they could keep it down, and that I understand that maybe they didn't realise how easily they could be heard. I didn't sign it because I don't want this to turn in to an interpersonal conflict. Also, some of the talking/shouting seems a bit aggressive, so I'm worried about what would happen if we knocked on the door, or if this person worked out it was us that posted the note. It doesn't seem to have done any good.

I don't want to make a noise complaint for two reasons:
    1) The main reason: I'm fairly sure that this person has some kind of mental health issue going on. I think they need help, not a reprimand. I also don't want to set anything in motion that might lead to them losing their accommodation if it is a mental health thing and not just them being antisocial. I know how hard it can be to find housing in this country when you're dealing with mental health issues.
    2) The selfish reason: I'm not sure if this is the same in all countries, but here you have to declare any disputes with neighbours when it comes to selling your property. If the police or council have something on file then that counts as a dispute and it can sometimes affect the sale. Like I said, I'm aware that this is a selfish thing.

My questions:
    Is a welfare check in order, or do we leave it?
    If not a welfare check, is there something else we could do?
    For anyone anywhere that's called in a welfare check: what did you do and what happened as a result?
    Has anyone in the UK ever called in a welfare check on someone?
    How did you do it?
    Did you have to give your contact details?

Any advice or input very much appreciated.

• Witnessed x 3
  2. Squid

Squid *contents may vary*

I've called a welfare check on a neighbor in the US. You can call the non emergency number to request it. They take your name and number but they generally don't contact you afterwards unless they need more information. We definitely don't have the whole disclosing disputes here though. My partner if from the UK and I can ask them when they wake up if they know anything about it.

3. Nertbugs

Nertbugs Information Leafblower

That's a good point: we do have a non-emergency number here. I guess that's where I'd call if we do end up doing it. That or trying to find out if the property is being run by a housing association and contact them.

4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I ran it by an English friend who has strong opinions about healthcare and particularly mental health services in the UK. He suggested getting in touch with a housing council or association if applicable and raising concerns. It sounds like that's what you're already looking into.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice