Do not remove your own mask to assist others.

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Jul 31, 2015.

1. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

So, to address a problem we have around here sometimes, I would like to clarify.

Metaphor notes: Airplanes often have oxygen distribution systems for use in the event of depressurization. If you do not get your mask on, you pass out. If you pass out and do not get a mask on within a bit, you can die. Problem: People tend to try to put masks on children, but then the children don't know to put the mask on the adult, or can't.

There is a general policy that people are usually aware of: "Please secure your own mask before helping others." This resolves the issue. A kid who passes out from lack of oxygen will be fine if the adult puts the mask on ten seconds later.

But after talking to people around here more, I'd like to clarify: Do not remove your own mask to assist others. It won't help.

• Like x 23
  2. ectoBiologist

ectoBiologist I'm a wise guy

What does that even look like? I understand the metaphor... sort of, but I can't think of an example of someone removing their mask to help others?

• Like x 1
  3. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

Doing things that are triggering for you, or overloading yourself emotionally and burning out, because someone else needs help.

• Like x 9
  4. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Healer, heal thyself, or you will be unable to help as many people.

• Like x 6
  5. paladinkit

paladinkit brave little paladin

Used this metaphor while talking to my wife about how we're handling an abuse situation in our clade (neither of us is with the abuser, but we're trying to support a partner who is). To elaborately extend the metaphor, we've decided that yeah, I can take off my mask to assist my moirail, as long as I'm handing my mask to my wife, because I trust her and she consents to put the mask back on me if I pass out before I ask for it back.

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice