Doctor Who, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by evilas, Apr 16, 2017.

1. evilas

evilas Sure, I'll put a custom title here

Since there's a new season, a new Doctor coming up, a new companion who is also gay, and this is Moffat's last season, I decided why not make a thread!

So, season 10 has started. Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Marimo

Marimo Member

I love Bill! Her responses to things like the tardis, two hearts, stuff in general etc. are very relatable and she's really cute (and if I'm being honest her being gay probably helps)
    I know we're only two eps in but I'm really enjoying this season so far after feeling a bit meh about dw for a while

• Like x 2
  3. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

i love that dr. who and his tarbis
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  4. Marimo

Marimo Member

XD How dare you make me look at a picture of Bumblebee Can'tthinkofanythingclever with my own two eyes

5. turtleDove

turtleDove Well-Known Member

I haven't watched since the 10th Doctor, tbh. I stopped watching some time after the Doctor Donna episode. Probably not very long after, honestly, because I don't remember what Companion he was running around with after that, and I doubt he picked up either Martha or Jack again; both he and the Tardis despised Jack after the "o hey, you're a permanent fixture in time now" thing, and I don't think Martha would've given him the time of day.

• Like x 1
  6. context-free anon

context-free anon Well-Known Member

hey roach maybe you should be the next doctor

7. Kittenly

Kittenly Just Squish That Cat!

I stopped watching after the 50th anniversary and following xmas special and hadn't enjoyed it consistently since the end of series 5 before it became clear just how much of a mess things really were. I liked two episodes in 6, the doctor's wife and the god complex. I just soured on 11 in general because he was so inconsistently written. I am still personally offended by the 50th, both as a RTD fan and a writer.

Nine is my fav, followed closely by Ten. I love all the RTD companions, but Donna most of all. @turtleDove some of the specials with 10 are pretty good. Waters of Mars is great if really sad and shows the Doctor in a REALLY bad place. The End of Time has a lot of problems, but I'd say is worth watching for Ten and Wilf's interactions.

• Agree x 1
  8. context-free anon

oh my god i can't believe they killed off pete

• Like x 1
  9. evilas

Hey, who's into strange conspiracy theories that have a bizarre amount of stuff backing it up?

10. context-free anon

11. BlackholeKG

BlackholeKG I saw you making fire

Been watching Doctor Who with my family since 2005, and it still holds my interest even with some ups and downs in the quality, aha. Moffat's run hasn't been particularly great since his first season, but I've been liking the Capaldi episodes more than I did the last few Matt Smith series. Last series was good; the paired episode format was compelling, and I especially liked the episode where the Doctor was trapped in the castle... *looks it up* Heaven Sent. Really great episode, that one. As for this series, I'm liking Bill more than I thought I would, and I think that Moffat is getting better. But then, I'm still fairly excited for the change of hands in terms of showrunners that's upcoming because I reckon that has even more of a chance to rejuvenate the show/move on from some of the things Moffat has brought to it that I really haven't liked so much. But then who knows - I'll guess we'll see!

• Like x 1
  12. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

[kicks in the door] HEY HOW ABOUT THAT NEW EPISODE?!?!?!?!?!?!

i've REALLY struggled to keep interested in Doctor Who over Moffat's run-- i liked Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, but Moffat's grand world-ending universe-spanning conspiracies and godlike stature of the Doctor are. not what i'm here for. the new episode just brought it back to a smaller scale, more personal conflict, which i far prefer; i like the Doctor best when they're traveling around helping individual people with their individual problems. the idea that this quasi-immortal time traveler cares about the little stuff just as much as the big universe-ending stuff is what i love about them, and i'm really happy that the new series took such a humanist stance in the first episode.

also 15 minutes in and i already had a massive crush on 13. i think Whittaker is my favorite Doctor since Tennant. i love how very recognizably The Doctor she is-- she's a kind of manic weirdo who is clearly making it all up as she goes, but she's also the type of person who tries to talk to the monster first and who cares deeply about rando nobody humans. and Whittaker sells it perfectly. i am BEYOND STOKED for this season.

(also also, i'm loving how old-school the new theme is! i can't wait to see the new opening credits.)

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 3
  13. evilas

So, I loved Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi, and I also loved the whole Grand Universe-Ending Plots but there was something about roughly half the episodes in the final two seasons... I think it was the atmosphere? Like, sometimes it was... almost too gritty. I wanted a change of pace, and Moffat fortunately knew how to give closure to his portion of the series.
    And then Chris Chibnall picked it right back up for a new era and knocked it out of the park. Whittaker is amazing.
    I loved everything about it. I am so excited for this season.

• Like x 3
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

just watched s11e2

I can’t believe the TARDIS has been a lesbian this whole time

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
  15. evilas

So, Episode 2. Loved it. Loving the setup of the major villain this season. The ethylene scene was amazing.
    One tiny thing: the ruins didn't really look... spacey. It just looked like an abandoned building? Did anyone else get that sensation?
    I hope they go to other planets that have more of an alien feel to it.

Episode 3. Aka "the Donnas that aren't visited by the Doctor".
    Seriously, that's what this episode is. Small changes make history. And for once, the Doctor isn't there to push them, she's just there to allow them to happen as they originally had.
    I loved how they portrayed Rosa Parks and went out of their way to clear up any misconceptions.
    This episode was really good.

Though, not gonna lie, every episode where the cast spends the entire episode pretending to not be too foreign and, like, they slip up and people ask "why'd you say that?" and they need to pretend to be '50s people who aren't total outsiders is really hard to watch, makes me really nervous for some reason.
    There's always one of those in every season and I especially hate it when the episode itself is good cause AAA I WANNA WATCH WITHOUT HAVING UNCONTROLLABLE CRINGE SPASMS

....ok now that that's out of my system, A+ episodes. Can't wait for more.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
    • Agree x 2
  16. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

When Graham started seeing Grace I honestly thought it was going to turn out to be a case of psychic spiders.

Not a spoiler: every so often I am reminded of Harriet Jones and I get mad all over again. Not so much at Ten - he's reactive and impulsive, and "Doesn't she look tired" was 100% in character for him - but at the writing, which never seemed to acknowledge Ten's behaviour as an actual problem beyond setting up for the Master to take power.

• Agree x 5
  17. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

a rundown of my reactions to the new ep:

the Doctor failing at small talk is everything to me

no no, the Doctor's crush on Yaz is everything to me

NO WAIT, the Doctor's god damned FANNY PACK (or bum bag, i guess) is everything to me

[​IMG]

• Winner x 2
  18. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Oh my gosh she is so happy to have proper companions again

I haven’t kept up with the past few seasons but I know the Doctor travelled mostly alone for a while and was sad but now she has companions again and she’s she’s lowkey terrified they’ll get hurt but she’s also so happy to have her fam traveling with her

• Agree x 2
  19. evilas

Agreed. It should've been adressed much earlier. It was only finally addressed in the connecting episodes between Ten and Eleven, with the Time Lord Victorious being the epitome of where his behavior could lead him (and his death soon after), and then only referenced a couple of times in hindsight.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    • Agree x 2
  20. kleric

kleric Member

I used to love DW, then slowly dropped out around the Ponds, watched a few episodes of Clara, one or two of Capaldi, the 50th, and after the 50th decided to blergh with it. But this summer I coaxed my other half to watch Blink, and he loved it, and we ended up watching the entire reboot from the start. Just finished Season 6, and I found myself liking Eleven a good bit more than I first did, and definitely liking Amy and Rory more -- even if I think it all could have been a lot better -- though I can't wait to catch up and get to Thirteen. (I don't particularly care about spoilers and have nothing blacklisted, but I try to keep him unspoilered -- he's very good at guessing the plot twists anyway).

What the big rewatch has so far showed me:
    • how very badly I had missed Nine without realizing it. I guess it's true that your first Doctor will always be THE Doctor for you :P
    • my DW dreams came back, bless
    • how very brilliant Tennant is and how Ten is both the softest Doctor and the hardest, sharpest Doctor (at least out of these three, idk, I'm also prone to dramatics)
    • I got so angry about River all over again because -- she could have been so good. she could have been a human archaeologist, one so good and brave and brilliant the Doctor fell so in love with her he married her, and instead we got this kickass whose only defining character traits are 'murder' 'sexy' and 'in love with Doctor'. don't get me wrong, I love kickass women, and Alex Kingston is brilliant, but River's characterization was extremely lacking for me, and I honestly think the so very human and so very brilliant archaeologist would have been better. at the very least they could've mentioned Mels even once before Let's Kill Hitler.
    • seeing the campy monsters and 2000s cgi in the early seasons was delightful
    • how very cool Rose is -- I used to identify with her hard, when I first watched DW I too was a high school dropout raised by a single mother, and in general very much found myself in her. if I had a magic door open for me back then I would have gone. now 5+ years later, well, I too acquired a baby brother when I was 20, and I too would break down a wall between universes to rescue my love interest, but also if a door did open I would first ask "can I bring my Rory". :D and Rose I love very much
    • Wilf best companion (Donna best official companion but Wilf best of all)
    • the delight that is Jack Harkness
    • how everybody goddamn deserves better but most of all Martha

• Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice