Doctory Things

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Loq, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

AKA: "Loq would literally rather die than deal with playing phone-tag"

okay, so. Hi, I don't have a thyroid, I take a replacement hormone to not die of no metabolism and/or what remains of my endocrine system fucking up and making me allergic to myself. (Or, rather, being unable to properly break down histamine, but end result looks pretty much the same as a nasty allergy.)

On my last hospital check-in, for whatever reason we decided not to make a follow-up appointment. (Why this.) Something about scheduling? something about wanting to look at other practices? (I currently go to CHOP, but I'm 20something and should probably go find an adult endocrinologist.) Or mom was throwing one of her controlling fits, I dunno. My memory's awful and this was... eh, last autumn? Octoberish? Also related: I no longer have a GP, the pediatrician doesn't take patients over 18 and...

Point 2: I cannot do the phone thing. Even with a script to follow it is nearly impossible for me to call someone. (Hi anxiety!) And this only gets worse the more variables get introduced-- what number should I call, what do I need to ask for, what information should I have on-hand...

Importantest Point: My replacement hormone drug I need to survive? That prescription has 2 fills left. And I kinda need it.

Problems:
    1. I have no idea what the fuck is even going on with insurance. Am I still on Stepdad's plan even though I'm not a minor anymore? Does my job give part-time employees benefits?? I could theoretically afford 100-some dollars/month for the drug, but that's going to put a huge dent in the "get out of the toxic house" fund.
    2. I don't know how to go about getting a prescription renewed. Do I need to get a GP?? Do I need an actual appointment with the doctor who prescribed it?? (If the latter, that's more expenses-- even the copay on the normal check-ins is $30, and if I don't have insurance anymore...)
      (...can I even go to the hospital endocrinologist without insurance?)
    3. If I do need an actual appointment with the actual endocrinologist, the waitlist for his appointments is at least three months. I have two months of scrip left. (And CHOP's online appointment scheduling is bullshit, you can only book things up to a month in advance. So I straight-up can't set an appointment with him online.)
    4. All of this involves phones. All of it. Calling the pharmacy, calling whatever doctor, calling insurance people maybe...
    5. Not part of the scrip problem but the phone problem: I got like three calls from CHOP a couple months ago, all while I was at work. The last one left a voicemail "blah blah call back at this number to see what we wanted to talk about"... which I forgot about for a day or two, and then a phone update fucked up my saved voicemails so now 1) I don't know what number I was supposed to call and 2) anxietybrain is convinced I have somehow Accidentally A Crime and if I call I'm gonna get yelled at, and if I call the wrong number I won't be able to do the thing I want to do without settling whatever the fuck first.

I just. The obvious solution is "get on the fucking phone already and figure shit out" but that's. Not going to happen.

I don't know what to do.

2. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Witnessed and I have a ton of empathy for the problem. I have to do something similar and I hate it. so much.

I can maybe help a bit with some answers for a couple of the questions? If you'd like/if it'd be helpful, of course.

3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

1. Can you ask stepdad? He might have to be the one to ask his insurance company anyway.
    2. This is specific to Ontario, but in my experience while there are some medications only a doctor is allowed to prescribe, there's no medication only a specific type of doctor is allowed to prescribe. Since you've already got a diagnosis and a treatment you've been on for a while, another GP should be able and willing to renew the prescription for you.

Actually, with some pharmacies you're able to ask them to contact the doctor to renew your prescription for you. The next time you're in to pick up the replacement hormone you could see if your pharmacy does that.

4. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Answers are appreciated! More data is always good, even if some of it ends up not applicable to me :3

1. ...Probably, if I can ever catch him at home, he works a lot. Thank you for giving me the obvious solution. (That is not sarcasm, I'm... not sure why I didn't think of that .-.)

2. I'm in the US, but when I have spoons for parsing legalese I'll do some digging and see if that's an option. If so, will still unfortunately involve finding a GP, but... that'll probably go faster than the months-long wait for the endocrinologist.
    2.5. Pharmacy can't do the renewal-call, tried that last time I needed a renewal.

5. electroTelegram

electroTelegram Well-Known Member

maybe email? most hospitals have like, websites with doctor profiles (or at least mine does) so you could fine an endocronologist and try to get something set up via email?

or contact their secretary via email

6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

1. At least in the US, you can be covered under a parent or guardian's health insurance until you're 26. Definitely second budgie's suggestion.

2. I've called my prescribing doctor's office before to request a refill, didn't have to go in for an appointment. I'm sorry that the pharmacy can't just ask for the refills, that would have been my first suggestion. The info they needed: name, birthday, Dr.'s name, prescription name and dosage, pharmacy to send it to (helpful to have the pharmacy's telephone/fax numbers on hand). I don't know if this is an option or not, but if it is, it might be easier than finding a new doctor/scheduling an appointment.

I wish I could help more. I really hope that everything goes super easily and you get your Rx soon.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice