Don't Starve On Your Own OR Together

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by roach, Oct 5, 2015.

1. roach

roach hump rumpus professional

I was REALLY into Don't Starve last winter, and then Don't Starve Together came out on mac, finally, and I want to get back into the game! Trade tips and favorite mods and stuff. Maybe find some pals to die repeatedly with.

I've actually been having a little trouble with Don't Starve Together: it seems like getting and installing the mods is harder, and the keyboard commands are a little different. Kind of a pain in the butt. >:T

• Winner x 1
  2. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Ahhh, i play don't starve together around weekly w/ some of my friends from high school! A goodly time

yeah, the keyboard is a biit different, and watch out, some of the items are a bit different for better balancing. i've heard some things have lower/higher hp, among other stuff, in together vs single player

mostly surviving together seems to have similar strategy to surviving alone, my friends and i usually allocate different tasks to different people (for example, i explore new territory and gather specific items while my friend focuses on keeping up farm and drying racks in the camp, collecting from traps, and creating new items). We have a complete communism lifestyle, keeping all the food in a shared chest at camp.

never played pvp, tho o3o

3. garden

garden lucid dreamer

I also really like this game although I haven't gotten to play much of it yet (also have not experienced an actual winter) and I haven't played Don't Starve Together although it looks super fun. Maybe I'll get around to playing more Don't Starve when I've reached some kind of equilibrium with my schoolwork.

4. theambernerd

My friends and I managed a 130 day dont starve together once, with 2 or 3 players depending on who was available. the hound attacks got crazyyyy, and i ended up exploring the entire map

• Like x 2
  5. roach

oh dang that sounds really clever. the way i survive winter is spend the first ten days traveling, looking for beefalo and pigs. a backpack is constructed at some point, and a throwaway invention machine so i can make a better range of tools and clothes as supplies become available. stumbling over a pig village is ideal but by day ten or eleven you gotta cut your losses and settle in. after that i just destroy and rebuild all the pig houses i can in a broad ring around my camp, and build more as my pig friends die and i collect the skins. then when wolves come— or mac tusk, in the winter— i just run around until the pigs are alerted and go fight and die for me, their pig queen. skins are used to build more houses and meat is hung on racks. the rest of the summer is focussed on constructing farms, fridges, chests, a crock pot, and laying in stuff for winter.

pigs don't interfere with your farms but they do eat seeds if they can get to them first... and they'll eat any food you drop by accident, so you can loose a whole stack of food that way. blurgh. building near a pond or two is great because the pigs fight the frogs and you get a steady supply of frog legs if you keep an eye out, plus you can fish in safety. building around spider nests is dicier. the spiders eat pig meat and skins, but you need a certain amount of spiderweb to build certain things. having a spider nest a bit of travel time away is good, because you can lure a few spiders at a time back to the village for your pig friends to deal with in a mob.

also re: mac tusk, i go and build walls around his igloos the minute they show up. because fuck that shit.

• Like x 2
  6. roach

yeah a fridge near a thermometer is a set piece that triggers an early winter when you open the fridge, i think.

my favorite is the lumberjack! i like tearing around cutting down all the trees as a beaver, then replanting the cones when i wake up later. it can be risky in winter, though.

• Like x 1
  7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

My favorite is also Willow, because fuck darkness and fuck cold and fuck san loss and fuck spider-infested forests.
    Makes it easy to get charcoal, too. :V

• Like x 2
  8. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

man, I love DS. I finally had the cash to buy it on steam. It's really hard to choose a favorite. Willow and Wickerbottom are my top faves, then Wilson and Maxwell.

I actually enjoy messing around as Maxwell lmao. Having armor right away (and less issues with sanity bc guess who's an idiot) really make up for the frailty, for me.

Though I seem to keep dying by bees when I forget to put on armor to collect honey.

9. roach

You can lure the attack bees out and kill them one by one, then go destroy the undefended hive. It's tricky but better than a frontal assault.

Anyway, has anyone gotten Shipwrecked? I'd gotten bored of regular Don't Starve because I knew what to do too well, but I haven't gotten past day five on Shipwrecked! There's a lot more food but a lot more enemies. It's hard!

• Like x 1
  10. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

oh yeah, I know! it was more 'I forgot that there are still bees in my box bc it's not almost dusk' and ergo everything was a mess (good job me!) so there's this hilarious little 'day 71' death with bees in my morgue

I have less trouble with the actual enemies then things like bees and frogs.

• Like x 1
  11. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

so, with Shipwrecked finally out of early access, and with everyone's lines finally available, it's been amazing. Also finally got RoG and the catcoon is adorable.

...did I mention it's kinda become my obsession laughs I love getting super attached to games.

• Like x 1
  12. roach

i keep dying in shipwrecked. dying so hard. there's so much food! but so many enemies.

13. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

Oh geez. YEAH also the friken pRIME APES (also one game I set the dragoon egg level to high bc I was curious right? terrible idea I died bc so many flippin eruptions.)
    Also, I found out that if you die by like. sea hounds, and have a life amulet, it'll revive you and then you drown.

I find shipwrecked easier then RoG tho, but that's probably bc I just got it. I keep messing up! Poor Wilson. The merms just won't stop chasing me when I accidentally run into em early on and have like. no armor.

14. The Mutant

The Mutant ' w '

If any of you like Let's Plays, I very much enjoy Marbozir's, and he did a Shipwrecked one for a while :3 He did an older one too. His LP's in general are great and I'm very fond of his accent for some reason. owo; normally I can't stand LPs where the recorders talk.

• Like x 1
  15. Wiwaxia

So just for shits and giggles I tried turning literally all the settings in worldgen up to their maximum possible value.

It is madness.

upload_2016-4-26_3-29-12.png

It's raining literally all the time, lightning strikes about every dozen seconds, so some part of the map is almost certainly on fire at any given point in time.
    Your normal resource gathering tools are worse than useless, because you're a sitting duck while you try to use them, and anyways the clockwork rooks are plowing so many trees and boulders into the ground that there's wood and rocks literally everywhere (at least until lightning strikes and burns through all the wood). Plus plenty of premade cut stones and squared timber when they run over one of the many (many, many) pig houses.

Speaking of clockwork rooks, whenever you enter a new area, the screen shakes continuously until all the other berserk fauna put them all down.

Cut grass and twigs are now the hardest resource to get, far outclassing shit like purple gems and gears, because they take time to harvest, even with the nifty scythe mod i picked up, the rooks don't seem to bulldoze them over, and they're constantly going up in literal smoke, often while you are trying to harvest them.

Here's what the map looks like (with a mod that marks beefalo, rabbit holes, mushrooms, etc.)

upload_2016-4-26_3-37-0.png

utter insanity.

• Like x 5
  16. peripheral

peripheral Stacy's Dad Is Also Pretty Rad

Can y'all give any advice for surviving in normal mode? Do I just... Travel?

I'm actually having an easier time with shipwrecked (the relaxed is my bad)

17. theambernerd

You can travel, but camping in one spot is good for the tougher seasons. Camp near a lot of rabbit holes, consistent rabbit meat is a savior in the winter. If you can, also camp near beefalo, poop is a precious resource. My friends' and I Dont Starve Together strategy, which should work fairly well for single player, is as follows:
    Get as many farms going as possible, and transplant all the close-by berry bushes to your camp (both these things rely on steady poop, so if you can't get beefalo you'll have to find alternates), If you have all this near a bunch of rabbit holes, keep I'd say 3-6 traps out for the rabbits (rotate holes, don't always put it over the same hole), you should be able to keep a very steady flow of food.
    once you start getting an excess of meat, put everything you get on drying racks first, jerky is awesome. Make /sure/ that you have sufficient lightning rods around your camp, a fire can destroy all your berries, drying racks, and farms. and then you are ozymandias, king of kings, look on your works, ye mighty, and despair
    The longer you survive, the more trouble the hounds will become. Gather hounds' teeth after each hound fight and find an open space to put the tooth traps in a circle- best to put a fire pit in the center, in case of nighttime hound attacks. When hounds attack you can run in circles around the traps and they should take care of most all the hounds. Make sure to remember to re-set the traps when you're done
    When you're well established, you should endeavor to make your own bee box - flowers will be getting scarce if you rely on them to keep up your sanity, but you can make taffy from honey which is a great sanity boost. If you have extra food, making a tent and sleeping is a great sanity and health boost as well, though at the cost of your hunger.
    Our group strategy was usually that, in a group of three, each day one person would tend the camp, one person would go explore further, and one person would do miscellaneous tasks- usually special ingredient gathering for whatever extra resource we were trying to make. On single player I'd guess try to rotate between these three- there will be plenty of time to tend your camp in the winter, trust me. The winter is sad and lonely.
    One time my group make it like 140 days into a dont starve together map. I literally explored the entire map, it was completed. It was sorta crazy. Hounds came like every four days.

disclaimer: don't starve together doesn't have all the Reign of Giants seasons stuff implemented yet, so this advice doesn't account for the hell that is Reign of Giants summer. I haven't actually faced that myself personally

• Like x 2
  18. Erica

Erica occasionally vaguely like a person

My sister once turned all the food way up high and set the enemies to non-existent.
    She still died immediately due to attacking a bee hive on day 1.

I like Wendy best! Willow is a close second, but I'm really bad at combat, so friendly helper ghost twin is really convenient. My main 'strategy' for surviving at all is literally just find spiders, kill spiders with ghost, make lots and lots of bird traps in addition to farms, suddenly! near-infinite food supply.
    Not many of my friends play don't starve, so i haven't played the together mode all that much </3

• Like x 2
  19. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

Depends on how you play; I personally can't do the plant bushes near base bc I am a walking disaster esp when I play Willow and can accidentally set stuff on fire bc I misclick.

I usually end up traveling around for a bit, gathering stuff; eventually I usually head for the middle of the map or a place with beefalo (useful for hound attacks; except when it's mating season, just run around the beefalo a lot until a hound gets distracted) and start setting up a base.

But I also pretty much just play Maxwell these days; bc he's my trashy fav and cracks me up. and so I'm pretty set in single player bc sword/armor/gem, and high sanity regen. In DST... not so much bc he's a glass canon. with no armor I die in like 3 spider hits but w/e

20. Wiwaxia

I'm sure we could get a group of people here for don't starve together. I know I'd be interested.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice