er, hello?

Discussion in 'Howdy there!' started by sideways infinity, May 4, 2020.

1. sideways infinity

sideways infinity just pretending to be a Pikachu

I'm not sure if it's okay to do this if I haven't gotten a verification email or anything. New to this site (really I only discovered its existence because I was trying to look up a couple people I used to know on a couple other sites and it seems they post here). Seemed to be a friendly enough place so I made an account. Not new to the Internet at all. It seems that when I join a new site I either 1) spend all my time randomly lurking 2) am active for a while and then forget it exists or 3) post all the time.

It remains to be seen what will happen here, though I saw threads about cats and that makes me happy already.

• Like x 9
  2. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

If I recall correctly, the site practice is not to send emails (in the event that your email address is being monitored by a third party) so you don't have to worry about posting without one! Welcome to the forum!

Other than cats, is there anything in particular you're interested in?

3. sideways infinity

Ah, okay that would explain it. And thank you!

In addition to cats I enjoy fantasy, sci-fi and horror stories (I prefer more of a psychological horror than something that's just gory for the sake of being gory without having a story... ack, that rhymed). I enjoy all sorts of media from live-action tv/films to animation to books and comics (including webcomics) and graphic novels to video games. I tend to play RPGs and simulation type games most often (I love platformers but am pretty bad at them so I'd rather watch someone else play). I enjoy nonfictional type stuff too especially if it is science-related. I like to cook and watch the Food Network a lot when nothing else is on and I don't feel like streaming something. I also enjoy knitting and sewing (which I have both done since I was a kid). I've dabbled in forum roleplays, the play-by-post kind.

So it's pretty easy to find at least something in common with me, lol.

Oh and my username is because some time ago I decided it was really amusing to me that an 8 is an infinity sign turned sideways (and vice versa) and 8 is one of my favorite numbers.

• Like x 4
  4. bushwah

bushwah a known rule consequentialist

"psychological horror"

oh??

(interested not offended)

• Agree x 1
  5. sideways infinity

Pretty much anything from stories about serial killers (especially ones that get into your brain like Hannibal Lecter) to Eldritch-y stuff. I like horror that makes you think instead of just shoving jump scares or gore at you, where you end up staying up late because you can't stop thinking about it. That's what's actually SCARY to me, Jumpscares just startle me and then I start laughing. XD

• Agree x 1
  6. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

8 is a very good number, it is known.

We have the cooking thread over here if you'd like to share some of the stuff you've made, and there's a general horror thread over here. I think The Magnus Archives has a pretty good thread going too, if that's up your alley (I haven't listened to them, but that sounds like the kind of horror goodtimes you might be interested in!)

7. sideways infinity

Oh very cool, I will have to check into those. :D

8. bushwah

bushwah a known rule consequentialist

yeah, same; I'm not a fan of horror that aims to cause surprise and disgust. I'd much rather have a creeping sense of wrongness -- although there's also something to be said for horror that brings the intensity. the horror stuff I write isn't gory, but it does tend to circle back around to domestic abuse.

do you have any particular favorites re: psychological horror, or related fandoms you participate in?

9. sideways infinity

I tend not to participate in fandoms much any more; I just like what I like.

As for favorites I'd have to give that some thought, since when I make lists of things I like I inevitably forget something.

10. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Welcome! If you want to post about knitting/sewing we have a Fibre Arts thread in Make It So :3

11. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Welcome! Eldritch-y, yes? What think you of China MiƩville? I read Iron Council, it totally creeped me out and I couldn't put it down.

12. sideways infinity

I've heard of that but haven't read it yet. Will definitely have to give it a look if I can find it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice