Even less sure where to put this

Discussion in 'Brainbent' started by seebs, Feb 7, 2017.

1. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I can go find exact words if that would help, but I do have stuff to do today so no promises on timeliness.

2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

No hurries, I'm just curious as to whether this was purely miscommunication, or they actually said a thing that I missed.

3. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Seebs, I see your strawman of a insincerely proposed rule, and yeah, that would limit this problem by creating several others.

Someone saying untrue things in a vent thread for the purpose of riling people up is a stupid asshole.

There is no rule against being a stupid asshole, just the ways people react to it. I'm bewildered by your insistence on correcting the untrue statements, in the same thread, as I think you undermined confidence and trust in you by doing so.

I've got my vent thread's policy as "people can interact with me and each other in it, but if I say a topic needs to move to a new thread, people better fucking move."

My purpose for vent threads is as threads in which op controls the content, a delineated space in which to throw cutlery where bystanders can come by, potentially to offer advice and sympathies but at risk of collateral damage.

You're expressing concern about the present and potential uses of these threads, and thinking aloud how to mitigate the problems of them. The main concern I'm hearing is about people using vent threads as a safe base to say anything about anyone in a way that they're immune to being contradicted. That's something people have brought up, and I think this is the first time where I really see it in action; some of us have been testing whether posting in separate threads to respond to each other is a viable way to correct perceived falsehoods and wrongs. Results still pending, biased by a number of people whining that they want to say or do something but they just can't because... then they would get yelled at. Because getting yelled at is so much worse than leaving the needed thing unsaid. I don't get it.

Eta ugh ninjad twice in the course of writing this.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    • Like x 3
  4. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

I feel like part of the disconnection here is that Seebs doesn't feel like LT saying that they didn't want to talk to Seebs was grounds for Seebs leaving their thread, and that the topic was an open invitation for discussion.

My problem with that is that when someone's repeatedly insistent that they don't want to speak to you, makes allusions to how the thread has been made all about you since your arrival and their discontentment about having you in there, and other people are also chiming in that continuing that discussion there is a bad idea...I feel like it becomes quickly evident that the thread needs a divergence, because at the very least after the first page or two of the Seebs entrance, I personally think it was very clear that the discussion Seebs wanted there was not the purpose of the thread.

Usually when things like that happen we make thread divisions. Obviously that has happened here, but I do think that it was a mistake to keep pounding away at the topic for so long before agreeing to a split just because there wasn't an implicit request for one. I feel like the repeated communications of "and this is now all about Seebs" and the like were enough to hint that this was not a Seebs invitation kind of deal, but the usual vent thread deal of "respond elsewhere if bothered."

• Like x 9
  5. seebs

It's pretty straightforward:
    1. I absolutely give zero fucks about confidence and trust in me. It just isn't a thing I consider when making decisions outside of very specific environments. I will consider that when working with employers or editors, or spouses, but past that, in general, it's just not even a consideration.
    2. I did not perceive the thread to be "a vent thread", and without that, why the hell would you correct a false statement elsewhere rather than where it happened?
    And I'm still getting a fair number of complaints about people saying untrue things about other people, and we don't really have any kind of solution for that.

• Like x 2
  6. seebs

And what do you know, when all those things happened, I split the thread.

Seriously, what are you trying to communicate here? "Once A, B, and C happened, the thread should have been split." Yes, and here we are in the thread that got made pretty shortly after A, B, and C happened. What exactly do you think I should have done differently, apart from "be a mind reader"?

They may well have been enough to hint that, but since when have we had a general requirement that the autistics are required to reliably perceive hints?

If LT wanted me to not talk to them, saying so would have likely accomplished that. Instead, we got another reminder that if you want to make people mad at seebs, all you have to do is say one thing, mean another, and strongly imply that obviously seebs should have known what you meant. Wow, super surprising. We've never seen that trick work before.

7. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

but i'm not talking about changing your mind, i'm talking about you listening to people and considering what they are saying without writing huge walls of text at them

That's what offends me about this, the implication that it is always necessary for it to be a huge production. It's not! A clear, well-stated, objection will frequently get my attention right away.[/QUOTE]
    a clear objection might work for simpler concerns, but topics like this are too complicated for a single ask. this does not make them any less important. and even then, simple issues can still become complicated if you have enough trouble understanding the issue someone has with you over them, and you don't always understand the issue even when it is clearly stated.

it is not always necessary for it to be a huge production, but it is necessary often enough. furthermore, not everyone is capable of writing a clear objection, and sometimes someone can write an objection that is clear to other people, but not to you. for people you regularly have trouble communicating with, this is not an available solution.

you could spend an eternity trying to find ways to engage with the people you have trouble engaging with and still fail to find a way on your own. that doesn't mean that it's impossible, especially with the help of others. in fact, part of the problem might have to do with the very fact that you have spent such an incredibly long time refining a fundamentally flawed or limited method of engaging with people, narrowing your options.

this still doesn't mean that you should run with your assumptions, especially when this usually involves people you have difficulty understanding in the first place.

furthermore, if someone isn't willing to clarify, they probably aren't comfortable with talking to you in the first place, which makes sense, considering your method of trying to understand the things you don't understand can be quite personally intrusive. a certain finesse is required sometimes when trying to engage with people who have trauma and brainweird, and you are incredibly forward, direct, blunt, and to the point.

you have a point. taking this into consideration, you need to learn to better differentiate when the source of the misunderstanding stems from your approach, or from the nature of the person in question.

• Like x 2
  8. local troublemaker

local troublemaker professional tumblrina

Some further clarification: that thread is partially-vent, partially-discussion. Several people openly disagreed with me there, stated that I'm a dick, opened conversation. I never objected to any of that. I don't mind discussion; I am not currently interested in discussion with Seebs, both because I can't read textwalls and because I don't trust her and tend to perceive her as being disingenuous.
    I found Seeb's initial response in the thread annoying, but only on the basis of the fact that I really don't like or trust her. I didn't consider that any kind of line crossed. I DO consider it a line crossed when I say

by which I meant "I am not interested in a conversation with you, please lay off." When you respond to that by quoting my posts in my thread discussing my words, I consider that a push for me to engage further. I have a hard time believing that your response to my use of the word "clout" was intended for other users and not me, and if it was, I resent the implication that other people have more place discussing the meaning of my words than I do.

• Like x 2
  9. seebs

I think that's actually less correlated with how I feel about them.

I don't think so. I have a lot more options than I used to; I do a lot of code-switching. I'm not sure what the exact shape of the remaining area is, but I'm pretty sure it's to do with status. I suspect it is roughly correlated with status things being a necessary component of interaction. Like, if someone requires that both sides "give ground" when discussing a fact question, and I try to discuss a fact question with them on which they happen to be wrong, it's game over; there's no recovery, because I'm just plain not willing to go along with false claims to make the thing proceed.

Yes. But then I have people getting mad that I didn't make assumptions, because I should totally have made assumptions. They just should have been different ones...

I can do only some kinds of finesse. Mostly, the problem I tend to have is, if something goes wrong in a communication, I have to stop and clarify, and I just plain can't continue without figuring out what the thing is. I mean, maybe I could, but it's an insanely bad idea.

What it comes down to is: If I can't get clarifications, my options are (1) continue with assumptions which are probably wrong (2) no further communication at all. That's it. I can't continue interacting with neither assumptions nor corrected data to replace them.

I'm still working on it.

10. Paradigm Shift

Paradigm Shift Sleepy Girl Wants Love

I've spent a few minutes trying to articulate a response, but I think that my divide boils down to me having been an outsider to the initial conflict and coming in not being riled or personally badmouthed, which I think naturally lets people look at things from another perspective. I apologize if it came across like I was trying to slam you, @seebs.

From my point of view, the amount of people pushing back at your presence made it clear they didn't want you there much earlier than when you found that to be the case. You don't see it that way. I honestly don't know how to reconcile our viewpoints, and when I think about it, I just feel like I have a headache.

I apologize for sounding harsh if I did. I'm guessing that I came across like that because of comments like you needing to be a mind-reader or me presuming something out of autistic people, which was not at all my intent. I'm also not happy with how you said 'trick' and I'm going to figure that I riled that out of you by unintentionally being an asshole. I don't think anyone was trying to trick you, nor do I think anyone is or honestly has.

I'm going to back off before I feel like I get any more bad faith than I already have.

• Like x 1
  11. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

That's a very unkind assumption of intent seebs, and it would help a lot if you could stay consistent. If you are not a mind reader, like you just now reminded everyone again, don't try to read minds.

You seem to be very hung up on intent from the way you are arguing. The thing is even if you qualify your intent again and again, it does not make people magically more comfortable with your actions just because you didn't mean to threaten/signal status/make someone uncomfortable. This makes things very frustrating because your continued arguing by propping up the way you didn't MEAN to do this thing, you meant to communicate something ELSE reads very similar to 'Your emotions are wrong, stop having them'. It is generally considered conducive to communication to acknowledge someone's distress, and apologize for causing it, rather than double down on 'didn't mean to cause distress on purpose'.

This is apart from my petty frustrations about your non compliance with organically emerged forum ettiquette but I am aware that I cannot argue that properly due to the fact that there are no proper ways to enforce that ettiquette except yelling. However I find it interesting that people are messaging you about somethign which has, according to the last discussion on that topic, been deemed entirely permissable. Things in the Brainbent Subforum are as far as I know implicitly disclaimered as "Not necessarily thought out, kind, truthful or logical". That kind of thing happens with emotionally laden content.

• Like x 7
  12. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

If I'm going to one-directionally not-talk to someone, I'll say something like 'I'm not going to respond.' If I don't want conversation to happen in either direction, I'll probably say something like 'I don't want to talk.' I probably wouldn't say 'Don't talk to me' because it has the flavor of the dumb kid fights I used to have with my brothers when we were little.

I get that you didn't parse it that way, but LT had tried to ask you to stop talking to her. And if she's thinking she's communicated the thing and you're still talking to her, then she's probably not going to think that oh, there must be a misunderstanding and I need to rephrase. She's probably going to think you're ignoring her request. I can't speak for her, but that's how it looked to me until you clarified later in this thread.

• Like x 8
  13. seebs

Some of the pushback struck me as pushback to specific claims, rather than to "presence", which is probably part of it. Anyway, no hard feelings, and I appreciate the external viewpoint.

• Like x 1
  14. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

because if people are yelling at me that means i'm doing the wrong thing, and i want to be doing the right thing because i don't want everyone to hate me, even if i don't actually believe it should be wrong of me to do the thing

• Like x 2
  15. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Huh. I'm closer to getting it now than I was, thank you.

• Like x 1
  16. seebs

Okay, that's a very good point.

I may be being too literal on a thing, because part of this is that I'm reacting to things that are worded as criticisms of internal-process that I know is not the internal process I have, but which I'd probably process totally differently as criticisms of apparent-outcome.

Part of the problem with the "organically emerged forum etiquette" is that people often have wildly incompatible notions about it.

There has never been any general implicit disclaimer of that; maybe there should be, but we never made one, and in practice, people frequently assume that the emotions may be purely-emotional, but that fact claims aren't. So if someone says "wow, seebs is so mean, the way seebs killed all those people was just really bad", the onlookers are likely to assume that I actually killed the people, but that the emotional response to it may be out of line and maybe it was actually a really good idea.

So, basically: We have a lot of people who are coming to hold beliefs about other people's actions which are demonstrably false, because people are asserting false claims in the process of venting about their feelings. And I don't even know whether they're truthfully reporting what they think happened, and have feelings relating to those events, or are mischaracterizing events on purpose.

• Like x 2
  17. seebs

That would totally make sense! I tend to be pretty literal about it, and I will even directly respond to posts while "not talking to this poster", because I'm commenting-on-them rather than addressing them personally. Which is a distinction that seems obvious to me but not necessarily to other people...

• Like x 1
  18. seebs

I didn't fully parse this before, but I'm thinking about it more, and: I am honestly not sure, but there have certainly been cases where, after a lot of attempts, I had no better explanation than "do stuff you know seebs will misparse so you can blame seebs for misparsing it". I don't think it's a good explanation, but it is sometimes the best one I have. There's certainly cases where I have very compelling evidence that people are specifically acting with intent to disrupt and start shit.

19. rigorist

rigorist On the beach

20. spockandawe

spockandawe soft and woolen and writhing with curiosity

Oh, that makes a lot of sense! I definitely hadn't understood you were making that distinction before, but that connects a lot of dots. On the note of that second post I quoted, my best working explanation until now had been 'seebs will agree not to talk, which works unless something interesting happens that they want to comment on, and then all bets are off.' Which is why I said the thing earlier about your curiosity outweighing LT's discomfort. But this explains a lot, belated apologies for the uncharitable interpretation :P

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice