Fanfiction Workshop??

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Neurogabu, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Anyone else down for this kinda thread? Because I've been working on a fanfic and while it has been going alright in the ideas department I've kinda been struggling with putting these ideas to words (even though I can and will think of pretty eloquent/appropo writing when not on the computer), and also how to incorporate this pretty big idea into the fic that, simply put, holds a hidden fic?

Again, words aren't working well for me right now. Anyone else looking for fanfic help is more than welcome to post! :D

2. BPD anon

BPD anon Here I sit, broken hearted

Holy shit yes. I keep wondering why my fic isn't popular if everybody who reads my fic tells me they like it. Proposed solution: have more people go through it for flaws.

Fic link in signature.

3. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

People are more than welcome to read my AO3 and tell me what they think. :) It's all Mass Effect at the moment, though, so be warned. Also there is sex.

• Like x 1
  4. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Gonna throw my hat in the ring and show off my AO3 to show you guys the kind of work I delve in. Personally I'm thinking of orphaning Evisceration, and one day I plan on finishing Hemophobia, though right now, Gravity Falls fic takes priority. :3

5. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Note that its totally possible to have really good fic be unpopular- for ex, short oneshots being less popular than long multiparts, or davekat being more popular than dolomaid.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    • Like x 3
  6. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Decided to just dump everything I have so far into Pastebin. I need to work on the beginning by like... a lot. Had a little of it written up when I started, lost it, then kinda got stuck and didn't care and yeah. But it'll put in the exposition about how the twins, Soos and Wendy set up an early morning reunion at the diner, though Wendy overslept and rushes over with a pretty crappy car.

How do I words.

7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

How do I do the thing where my thing is a link and the words are pretty and blue but you don't see this confusing hell spiral: http://archiveofourown.org/users/Aondeug/works

HOW. I feel so dumb.

Anyway beyond that there is my current basket of stuff I have written. There's some stuff on my ff.net that I haven't transferred over to Ao3 but I don't plan to so. Things. Current work in progress is the dolomaid fic Trust Your Bones.

8. Void

Void on discord. Void#4020

Type words you want to make link. Select them. Click the little button that looks like a chain. Copypasta link address. Tadah!

• Like x 1
  9. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

• Like x 1
  10. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

oh good is this the place to whine about having to basically rewrite the start of canon every time I want to do a full-game AU?

Because I hope this is the place. Because I whine about that a lot. It's my least favorite thing and responsible for probably half the writer's block I've had on this fic.

11. Lissiel

Lissiel Dreaming dead

Irritatingly, by far my most popular fic is i think one of the worst things ive written. Its trite and twee and choppy and frankly kinda boring? But its kirk/spock and it has sex, so of course people are always all up on it. It annoys me so much that every time i see a new kudos i think of deleting it.

My favorite thing i ever wrote is the members of the embryon go trick or treating postgame, tw:cannibalism, for Digital Devil Saga, which is the best game ever but sadly pretty obscure. That is a tight and lovely piece of work and it makes me smile every time i see someone read it.

12. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Lissiel: Man, that reminds me of how I absolutely nuked my fanfiction.net account years ago because it contained so many huge rotting pieces of failure. Also of Evisceration, which isn't so much that it's fail as it is that I got bored of it and the kudos and comments are also eeehghhhhghghhh.

Also, as an aside, I noticed how, when I linked the pastebin link over on Skype just now, that Firefox somehow still remembers the link to an absolute trollfic I shat out in like ten seconds. Considering what it is, I kinda have to be careful not to ever accidentally link to that one, I guess. XD

• Like x 1
  13. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

LINK TO IT HERE.

Also guess who's comin' up on having worked on a single goddamn fic (still early in it too--like, I only have 5k words) for three fucking years? Granted, that's because I did a total rewrite and I've been semi-stuck on how to proceed (I know exactly where the fic is going, but it's still in the beginning stages of the actual story and that part was less well-planned), but gah. XD

I have ideas for like a zillion other fics too. fml

14. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

I think that if I ever link it here everyone else's reaction will basically be my avatar. Though, should I link an updated version of the one I'm writing now?

• Like x 1
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Definitely link to the current one! I didn't get a chance to read most of it, and I love your writing. That's not just BFF Niceness talking either, you're seriously an amazing writer.

And for what it's worth, there are probably people on here who would find [FIC NAME REDACTED] hilarious. Maybe link to it in the Badfic thread? (With appropriate warnings re: content, of course.)

16. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

Boom. Done.

17. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

Ahh, I am getting so stuck with everything I'm working on right now. - w - Would really appreciate some words on how this is working right now.
    Xavin is five years old when he first sees someone die.

He's seen death before. In private tutoring sessions, in personal explorations of the palace's massive video libraries, in unscheduled trips down to the kitchens, even. He believes he knows it well enough.

He is wrong.

There are five of them. Majesdanes. He knows of them as well as he knows of death.

When his father first opens the doors to their little prison chamber, the first thing that hits him is the smell of them. He feels it like a fist to his jaw, like a rending behind his eyes, a wild scattershot of heat, ozone, rot, and other things. Things so intensely alien that he struggles to categorize them.

Alien. He has never before understood the term. Surely there cannot be such vastly different things in a single universe. Surely there cannot be a creature that looks so like a Skrull, but yet is so intensely unlike one.

And yet.

They're offensive, on some primal level Xavin hasn't yet begun to understand. He feels it in the hollow of his chest, in the quick of his bones, a throbbing ache in his brain. It's etched into the sharp lines of their faces, in the knife patterns of their motions, in the high arching burr of their voices, wrong, wrong, all wrong.

They hurt. It's like every fiber of their being is dedicated to being offensive to his senses. The swirling light of their skin feels like it pierces through his eyes and coalesces into a heavy film over his brain. Their odor is so powerful it sends him retching every time it hits the vomeronasal bulbs in the back of his throat.

He glances sidelong at his father through watery eyes and catches the brunt of his disappointment. Xavin nearly flinches, but thinks better of it. He carefully tucks his scent glands behind the walls of his throat and lashes tendrils of newly grown muscle around his spine, daring it to bend towards the enemy again.

He is the child of a Prince, and he is a child of war and he cannot back down.

His father grunts in what Xavin imagines is approval, and motions at a panel mounted on the wall. A voice chirps it's acquiescence, and one of the figures it released from its bounds, crumpling limply to the floor. A male, long and lean and gaunt, thin limbs splayed in an inelegant sprawl. His pale red hair is matted and brittle, and the light of his skin swirls in sluggish, oily ripples across his body, red, pink, yellow, and the faintest hint of blue clinging stubbornly to the arch of his nose.

The male twists jerks on the floor, a brittle broken thing, struggling to get its limbs to obey it. Xavin's eyes trace along the lines of his back, trailing along pitted crags that scatter light like cracks in glass. Pale blue fluid leaks from one, rolling in fat droplets down the length of the man's arm.

Xavin draws his form in tight around himself, skin rippling a darker shade of green.

I'm not sure how well the casual shapeshifting works. Or the prose. Mostly the prose.

• Like x 1
  18. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

I keep meaning to post this, but I've been using a new program to write in, as so far I'm liking it. Nimble Writer is on sale right now in Steam (or at least was when I got it), and while I've mostly been using it in the same way as I have for Word/LibreOffice Writer, there's a lot of little functionalities tailored specifically for writing, such as adding external files such as notes and doodles, writing bookmarks, character notes, HTML, and such that I'm only now starting to touch. It's great, though the only thing I'm not really liking about it is that there's no automatic spellcheck function; you have to click an icon on the main toolbar for it to actually scan through the open chapter.

Also updated my profile.

• Like x 1
  19. Neurogabu

Neurogabu Garbage Day

I have to say that the prose is really good! I don't know anything about Runaways, but I really dig the prose right here. Several proofreading things, such as missing words, but other than that.

Also doof?

20. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

I'll throw my AO3 into the ring. Posted up to Chapter 5, I've written halfway into chapter 8 and I'm stalling out because 8 is where Bad People Having Good Sex takes a hard left turn into Angst and Mind Control City, and I've gotten too invested in these selfish assholes having a genuinely good relationship to want to wreck it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice