FAQ please

Discussion in 'The Undercity' started by seebs, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Other offering:
    Q: Is this forum a pile of cats who have learned to use a keyboard?
    A: Yes.

Also one question: Why IS the Rp subforum called it´s galleys turn? Aside from boattrolls ,why that specifically? Require answer of Rp FAQ.

• Like x 5
  2. seebs

seebs Benevolent Dictator

okay so the historical answer: luka, aud, and jesse had this troll RP thing going for a long time, and Luka would always get distracted and then ask who's turn it was, and be informed that it was galley's turn. ALWAYS. Like 5+ times a night.

• Like x 12
  3. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

Seebs, quick question: You can only tell who a sub account belongs to based on IP address, right? Or does the software tell you who it belongs to? (May have a misleading answer on the doc, currently)

4. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Thank you!

5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Might also be a good idea to put a link straight there, because an FAQ can't cover absolutely everything someone might want to know.

I'd also suggest "Do I have to be [demographic] to use this forum?" in case of people anxietying themselves into not joining because "too neurotypical" or something.

• Like x 11
  6. Izevel

Izevel capuchin hacker fucker

Yes, haven't there been several people asking things like "is this a forum for trauma survivors only" or "autistic people only" or that kind of thing? Probably useful to clear that up.

• Like x 6
  7. Maya

Maya smug_anime_girl.jpg

At an anon's suggestion: I made all screenshots I've taken for the doc in our blurple theme, and I would suggest anyone taking screenshots for tutorials do the same.

Also I have no idea if they're going to post this here, forgive me if you are!! But anon added this to the doc:
    • Are there post signatures?
    • How do I change the color scheme?
    • How do I un-ignore a user/thread?
    Also @Chiomi is the glossary just for forum/sub-forum descriptions, or can I add actual definitions in there, such as OP and other common slang on the forum (Little ole' me still doesn't know what iirc and eta mean lmfao)

• Like x 3
  8. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

The glossary is going to be for lots of stuff! Slang would be good, but I think there's also going to need to be definitions of triggers and stuff, too

• Like x 4
  9. seebs

I wasn't even thinking of descriptions for forums in the glossary because they have subtitles, but that wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Like x 4
  10. Astrodynamicist

Astrodynamicist Adequate Potato Goblin

Q: I signed up but never got a confirmation email, what gives?
    A: All email notifications are turned off as some users may have abusers monitoring their emails, and having those people find out about the forum could put those users in danger.

Q: Then how do I reset my password?
    A: Contact an admin(or mod?) with convincing evidence that you are the user you say you are, they can reset it for you.

• Like x 4
  11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Q: How to I contact someone if i can no longer log in?
    (Contact info for password resets should go in answer)

• Like x 3
  12. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Possible questions regarding how much shitposting/derailing is too much, bc sometimes it seems to go on and everybody's fine and sometimes it seems like people want to push it out of the thread fast and inferring guidelines isn't always easy - maybe that falls under etiquette idk?

13. furrylatula

furrylatula a pissed off homestuck girl

that is a much harder one because the level of derailing/shitposting tolerated in a thread is VERY subjective to the OP and inhabitants of that thread

• Like x 2
  14. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I think the only solid rule on that one is "if people tell you to move it, move it." Some users really dislike their threads derailing, some don't care.

• Like x 4
  15. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

Which is itself an answer that might be valuable

• Like x 6
  16. Verily

Verily a very ineffective hitman

I think this would be very helpful. I'm on mobile a lot when using the forum, so I often can't see the subtitles anyway.

(If there's a way to see them on mobile and I just don't know about it, I'd be most appreciative if someone would enlighten me.)

• Like x 1
  17. seebs

That information is listed in the account-edit page. It was by default listed on the profile page, and/or by default shown to admin all the time, depending on version of subaccount thing. I eventually went and edited things enough to stop having it specifically displayed automatically, but it's still there if I have to do account edits (like changing user names or password resets).

• Like x 1
  18. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

In the section on etiquette, I want to suggest noting that when someone edits a post it would be considerate of them to also add a note about the edit (a good place to mention the ETA abbreviation) because there are so many folks with memory issues or unreality feels that is helpful to see changes acknowledged rather than just wondering if our memory is acting up.

• Like x 4
  19. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

When i do edits unless its either a small thing, or less than like, 30 seconds after the post, I add [Edit:] before whatever I edit. If its more than a sentence, I add the edit stamp anyways.

• Like x 1
  20. Xitaqa

Xitaqa Secretly awesome

A lot of folks do that, I have noticed; but I think it would be good to mention it as part of our community's usual expectations so new users have an easy way to see that it is desirable and in fact can be kind of important. Rather than expecting folks to learn by noticing examples, I mean.

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice