Feed Your Head

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by jacktrash, Sep 21, 2019.

1. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

links, videos, images. things that are Satisfying. things that are Fascinating. stimmy things, curious things, educational things. brain food!

• Like x 1
  2. jacktrash

edit: yep, after a rewatch, yeah, that is every bit as satisfying as i thought. do be careful if you have a problem with flashing images, though. this is an electricity experiment.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. jacktrash

4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Popokuro makes the best resin things

I find watching these aquarium videos (specifically the betta tank and the 5 gallon nano tank) very satisfying. Tank gets crowded, tank gets neatened up, and there's shrimp and fish and such to watch. Also an occasional visitor like a ladybug, or a spider, or a cat. I don't know much about aquariums, but this person seems very knowledgeable and attentive to the health of the animals they have

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  5. jacktrash

hermes watched the 2nd vid with me. he liked the shrimp.

• Agree x 1
  6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I like them too, especially when they just decimate a cabbage leaf or broccoli floret

• Agree x 1
  7. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

this video from Journey to the Microcosmos:

just 5 minutes of soothing music and living jewels dancing around

• Like x 2
  8. jacktrash

despite the slightly clickbaity title, it's actually about maintaining a really cool aquaterrarium.

• Like x 1
  9. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

No talking, no music, just the sounds of filing/sanding/painting/etc. V satisfying to watch him fix things up! I rec his whole channel but obvs won't spam every single video heh.

• Winner x 2
  10. townghost

townghost mystery crab

i personally just really like... math rock

not sure if this is stimmy but its definitely..................sTiMuLaTiNg

• Agree x 1
  11. townghost

townghost mystery crab

this kind of sound/rhythym is very satisfying to me
    thank you for letting me post :)

12. jacktrash

what... is going on in that music... i'm confused but fascinated. makes me think of frank zappa.

• Like x 1
  13. townghost

townghost mystery crab

@jacktrash every time i hear about frank zappa, it’s always in the context of really great and unique stuff. maybe i’ll check him out?

• Like x 1
  14. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

I heard an interview with Frank Zappa during which he recalled that as a teenager growing up in a musically isolated area, he requested, one year, that his present would be the price of a long distance phone call to one of his idols, Edgard Varese.

I thought it was an interview with Studs Terkel on WFMT (Chicgo's classical music station, except for Saturday nights, when it does four hours of folk music [and other stuff]) but if so I can't find it. There is a Studs interview, and it does mentionVarese, but not the phone call
    https://studsterkel.wfmt.com/progra...others-invention-and-interviewing-frank-zappa
    (the archive doesn't include the songs played during the interview)
    but it's interesting anyway, and searching for <frank zappa edgard varese> has many more links which I am not following because I should be working.

Seebs, didn't you have a cassette of Zappa when we lived in Shanghai? I remember Pink Floyd, and Weird Al.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

(video is about mythology, not suicide. odin comes out fine.)

i love listening to this cowboy-looking professor reading and analyzing Old Norse while standing in some ridiculously picturesque place. he's got a really soothing voice and also that's the kind of nerd i am.

• Winner x 1
  16. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Dolphins Are Finally Living and Breeding in the Potomac River Again
    About 1,000 bottlenose dolphins have been recorded in the lower reaches of the recovering river, including one that gave birth in August
    2019_tiny+dolphin+fin.jpg
    That little fin belongs to Gwendolyn Mink. Her mother is the namesake of Patsy Mink (researchers were naming dolphins after politicians, but they're running out of politicians)
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-potomac-river-180973263/#GcECyYwgc4xV4if1.99

• Winner x 5
  17. jacktrash

i am so here for cowboy norse

• Agree x 1
  18. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Crawford's also done one of the better and more accessible translations of the Poetic Edda. If you've ever wanted to read it I'd check out his translation.

• Like x 1
  19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

Also here is Story Archaeology. If you like Irish myth and want to know a lot more about it then I'd give these people a look. You'll learn more about the context of these stories and what they mean.

• Agree x 1
  20. seebs' mom

seebs' mom Yes, really!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
    • Winner x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice