Feel stuck thinking of myself as a marketable entity vs person with limits. Help?

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Nobody's Home, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Its mostly a recent thing, where I keep thinking 'oh I should have drawn this' or 'should have posted at this time' or 'should have rode this trend' because im thinking of maximizing notes + visibility + brand recognition

But i simply don't have the time to devote to these kinds of strategies + thinking in this just makes me feel miserable and useless

I have responsibility to do school and try to socialize normally

And thinking this way makes drawing all business no play when im not even doing paid work, and when the drawings i keep thinking i should constantly push out in order to be seen are fanworks for media I like

And that sorta starts extending to the media making both drawing and the entertainment feel like a chore and that doesn't sound like a thing that is good

It's also affecting mental health a little because I feel like I'm not doing enough in order to make myself memorable to the fandom when in reality I simply don't have the time and energy to devote to constant art.

Plus idk it also seems kinda fake to push "for a brand" when all I want to be is earnest, and that conflicts with this mindset.

I think the mindset probably stems from me gearing up to do art professionally (studying for it) and in this day and age having actively posting social media makes one be seen by potential job opportunities I'd personally be interested in (+ having to send out portfolios myself).

Maybe i can make drawings more frequently when I graduate which is still a few years yet so fandom tides will probably change but who knows

Anyone know how to mitigate or deal with such feelings? Thank you for your time

• Witnessed x 5
  2. Grief

Grief ...

If this is where it stems from, maybe try setting aside time specifically for social media/brand art? So when it's outside of working hours, you can tell yourself no, you've put in as much time as you need to.

If devoting any time to this would be counter productive, you can try the same thing. "I've put in exactly as much time to this as I should. I don't have to worry about it now."

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Thank you, I will try that, and maybe having specific allotted time for Other Stuff/non school work/etc that won't go beyond that Time might help because I did do something even if its not yet complete? Anyway it's worth checking out

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice