finding... the pants

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by bushwah, May 7, 2021.

1. bushwah

bushwah a known rule consequentialist

okay, so, I'm looking for a pair of pants. the tag says "art to wear by ken done" and the other tag says "made in usa - rn 42351 - 100% cotton"

they look like this:

image0.jpeg

ultimately, I'm not looking for these pants; I'm looking for pants from the same manufacturer. but these are the pants I have, and finding them is an important step in the process.

searching for each of the relevant keywords -- "art to wear" "ken done" "rn 42351" -- on duckduckgo, etsy, and ebay, and scanning ken done's website for pants, yielded no usable results. (dude doesn't sell pants these days, apparently.)

it was sold on amazon and I bought it new. this would've been maybe 2012, maybe 2014, somewhere in there. one would think I wouldn't remember any of the details of the listing, but I do remember another couple of keywords, because the marketing was so wildly offensive that it's stuck in my head for the better part of a decade.

these were sold as "gypsy boho" pants. I think the word "hippie" also appeared.

so anyway, I have negative interest in buying anything from ken done ever again, but these are in fact extremely good pants and I wanna get hooked up with his manufacturer to obtain another dozen pairs.

• Like x 1
  2. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I’m afraid I have no idea where you’d find pants from that specific manufacturer, but I have a pair of pants that’s in what seems like a very similar style (not identical, but similar) that I got at CVS, of all places. If you’re at all inclined to look into alternatives at any point, I would definitely recommend picking up a couple pairs of those.

As for searching...maybe try different search engines? I know Google is far from ideal on any level (and totally understand and respect why people may be hesitant to use it), but I’ve found the results I get on Google versus DDG are often very different, and I’m sure that’s the case for other search engines too. Definitely not a sure thing, but possibly worth a shot!

3. bushwah

I'm mostly looking for these specific pants because of the fabric, not the cut, but the cut is also very good. if you know something similar I'm interested.

• elastic waist. no drawstring, no buttons, no zipper, no snap, just elastic.
    • available in size "tiny"
    • full length or shorts; not capris.
    • straight cut. "molded to your calves" is the current craze but also no calf balloons, "molded to your ass cheeks," tight all the way down, or "did somebody wrap my ankles in tape to keep ticks out or what"
    • fabric thin/flexible enough to permit crouching, squatting, sitting cross-legged, and other such positions. notably, this rules out denim and corduroy.
    • smooth fabric. no sweatpants, with their fuzzy interior. none of those athletic pants that have netting on the inside. just one layer of smooth fabric.

am aware you didn't ask for all that. I will take a link to the cvs pants, whether or not they fit the above list -- the contents of the spoiler are more for my own reference than anything else.

that said, if anyone does happen to know of pants that fit that description...

• Like x 1
  4. Acey

The CVS pants actually fit most of those criteria—the only one they don’t quiiiite fit is the cut (there’s some tapering at the ankle, although nothing too bad), and they do have a drawstring but it’s not a necessity for use (the waist is elastic and the drawstring is p much decorative), but otherwise they might be a good fit for ya! I’ll have to do some searching for the brand and such, but I’ll link when I find them and you can see if they’ll suit your needs. :)

EDIT: Okay, I’m not having luck finding ANY loungewear on the CVS site, which is annoying...if it’s possible for you to safely get to a brick-and-mortar store at any point it would be worth looking there (because I know the pants in question are available there), but unfortunately I think we may otherwise be back at square one here. :/

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  5. bushwah

when I'm fully vaccinated I can think about pants shopping in person! that'll be... an experience... I haven't been in a "fitting room" in over a year... what the fuck

I've removed drawstrings before, if the elastic is genuinely tight (on my again ridiculously small frame) then a drawstring is okay. any amount of tapering at the ankle is gonna be a dealbreaker tho unfortunately

• Like x 1
  6. Acey

Alas! I hope you can find something that suits your needs soon—I totally know the feeling of having That One Article Of Clothing that I just want a zillion of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice