Fish for beginners, with a few weird circumstances

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by Deresto, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Hello! I recently found myself in a situation where I have been given a 40 gallon aquarium, which contained a bearded dragon for a long while before he was rescued from a bad situation. He was being kept in very bad living conditions due to the previous owner having done little to no research before buying him and now lives in a lovely terrarium that he adores, and gets let out for supervised exploration as well

I've always wanted fish, and have done a little research over the years playing with the idea for "someday", and now that I have the tank and am researching parts for it, I still have some questions:

1. How do I clean the tank beforehand? It's not physically dirty but is there like... Lizard bacteria? What cleaning stuff can I use?
    2. Should I start with a smaller size? I feel like the fish might like more swim room but idk
    3. Should I focus on setting up saltwater or fresh water? Saltwater fish are prettier but I've seen vague hints over the years that it's harder
    4. Should I bother with trying to keep live plants? That seems way harder to keep up with but maybe better with whatever fishy I get?
    5. Do shrimp have to have a special kind of tank? I love them and would rather start with a few of them because I love how they look! Beautiful creatures
    6. Do different species of fishes need specific tank decorations? I've seen it hinted at as yes, but I really like the idea of a little SpongeBob pineapple, or perhaps a little version of his whole block, but that seems a little like a waste of space.
    7. Bubblers or no bubblers?
    I may think of more, but right now both random hints and guidance are just as good as specific answers. Help?

2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I know basically nothing myself, but if I were you I'd try reddit. There have got to be at least a few subs about fish care - I follow like 5 for different kinds of terrarium!

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice