Food nerds

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by overpants-anon, Feb 25, 2015.

1. overpants-anon

overpants-anon Qualified Lurker

Any other food/cooking nerds on here?

I've mostly been doing secrets (aka stuff that could be tied to my tumblr) lately, but the other day I made these

11006018_929967750368990_326700955_n.jpg

I have no idea what they're called in English. In my native language we call them ladykisses

They're made with egg whites and sugar and food colour

What have other people been making?

• Like x 2
  2. albedo

albedo metasperg

Oooo, that looks delicious. I think those are 'meringues', in English.

3. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

We call those meringues (at least in my neck of the woods), but "ladykisses" is better and I will call them that forever now. And those are beautiful.

4. overpants-anon

Thank you for the compliments and the translation :)

5. siveambrai

siveambrai Negative Karma Engine nerd.professor.gamer

Those are really lovely! I love the feeling of melting as you eat them. Mmm.

6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

now i want to know what language calls them ladykisses. it's a supercute name.

i don't have any pictures, but i made esquites recently and most of my family loved it (except the one oddball who hates corn). i used this recipe minus the mayo, and frozen corn because 1) it's not corn season and 2) even if it was i don't feel buying corn on the cob just to take it off.

7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh my god i love esquites so much. i'm kind of a snob with it though, i only like it from a cob...it's like the only food i'm picky about though. anything else (unless it's Rude) i just will or won't eat.

8. overpants-anon

I'm norwegian, which is kind of like german, but cuter :P

And that sounds really good

• Like x 2
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

i love cooking, and am a pretty decent baker if i do say so myself. i specialize in southern home cooking cause that's what i was taught. i'm not a pro though i still suck at a lot of stovetop stuff >_>

• Like x 1
  10. Chiomi

Chiomi Master of Disaster

I love cooking, too, though mostly I specialize in throwing things together without measuring anything.

Also cheesecake.

• Like x 3
  11. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

I love cooking, and generally end up being the one who does most of the cooking at home because my partner's back and knee issues make it harder for her to stand in the kitchen for any length of time. I made chicken fajitas last night, and it was good. Or was that the night before? I forget.

• Like x 3
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

my sister brought home alfredo pizza last night. it's gotten to the point i can hardly eat pizza made traditionally anymore (american version of traditional: cheese, red sauce, maybe other topping)

what's your fav pizza? @everyone

13. Lerxst

Lerxst salty parabola

Alfredo with spinach, chicken, shrooms, and feta, or red-sauce with pepperoni, shrooms, and feta. Preference for crust thickness varies. Sometimes I want it super thin and crunchy, sometimes I want it to require a knife, a fork, and possibly a bib.

• Like x 1
  14. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

Well, I'm gluten-intolerant (it causes major digestive distress), but quite a few pizza places now have gluten-free crusts. Not like the real thing, but I'll take not vomiting by preference. I do like a quality red sauce pizza, but I also like a white-sauce one, preferably more of a carbonara than an alfredo; I find that smoky bacon taste is delicious on pizza, generally with an assortment of vegetables and a nice cheese (smoked mozzarella and/or smoked gouda are nice cheeses for this).

• Like x 1
  15. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Just today I made a mean cheddar-broccoli sauce.
    I am mostly firmly in the cookies and cakes nerding category with a vast knowledge of cheeses to top it off. Oh and bread. I am German, our bread is serious business.
    My specialty is over-obsessing over other people's nutritional specifics and then ignoring my own lactose problems if no one reminds me.

Norwegian is like German? I thought Norwegian was pretty different. I oughta try watching a movie in Norwegian one of these days, the only language in the 'like German but cuter' category I was aware of was Dutch :P

• Like x 1
  16. albedo

albedo metasperg

Ooo, bread? What kind of bread?

17. IvyLB

I usually make a banana strawberry bread for breakfast these days [recipe link -> http://buttercreamblondie.com/roasted-strawberry-banana-bread/ ] but I wanna start a batch of sour dough soonish so I can experiment more with fruits and nuts and spices.
    sadly my hands usually don't allow me to make most breads myself but if you ever end up 'round here (Berlin) and want bread, my absolute favorite to buy is always onion bread. And pretzel buns. Everything made from pretzel dough is instant happy.
    (I am honestly kind of weirded out by american toast bread it's so... white... good bread is brown or grey-ish lmao)

• Like x 1
  18. albedo

albedo metasperg

Oh, jeez, banana strawberry sounds amazing. I've been trying to figure out french bread-based tarts/pasties, since pie crust is not at all healthy and pretty fussy, but not much luck yet. Pretzels are fun to make but SO MANY STEPS, I rarely have patience.

(And yeah, store-bought white bread is gross. Homemade is better - it actually tastes like something, and it's not so... squishy... - but wheat bread is best.)

19. IvyLB

see this is where living in Germany is a definite plus we have an entire designated shelf and usually an in-store bakery in most supermarkets and discount grocery stores with like at least 5 types of bread and 10 types of buns.
    Yeah all of that is still store bought but i bet our store-bought bread can beat up your store-bought bread haha.
    (German bread culture isn't even as bad as German potato salad culture.)
    By the way, just to start the first war, what's you guys' favorite potato salad recipe?

20. overpants-anon

Norwegian is germanic, in the nordic subcategory, which is closer to German than to English, but less similar than dutch

The way I've understood it, the Vikings and their contemporaries from The Region Which Is Now Germany understood each other just fine, but the nordic languages developed in one direction and German in another. Nowadays we have a lot of vocabulary in common, but grammar and pronunciation is different

(For movies I recommend The Troll Hunter if you're fine with some scary stuff. It's a found-footage mockumentary with horror and comedy aspects)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice