Freeform Jazz - Brain weird?

Discussion in 'Braaaaiiiinnnns...' started by Re Allyssa, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

Apparently, my friend experiences something akin to motion sickness when listening to freeform jazz. She was wondering if anyone experiences something similar.

She suspects she is or possibly self-diagnoses as autistic.

Personally, I can see how that could be a thing, but I haven't felt anything like that when listening to music.

2. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

I don't get motion sickness but I sure don't like jazz; the lack of underlying structure and the tendency to deliberately make it slightly arrythmic makes my brain cry. I may possibly be slightly autistic but no diagnosis.

• Like x 1
  3. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I don't get motion sickness from Jazz either, but I don't listen to it at all, because it annoys the dickens out of me.

4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

How horribly freeform are we talking because once it gets to the point of CATACLYSMIC NOISE I sure do have something a bit like motion sickness if i get subjected to it too long.
    I kinda actually like jazzy stuff normally because in doses my brain actually likes trying to dissect it
    I am maybe-autistic? Actually trying to get it diagnosed at some point

5. albedo

albedo metasperg

Yeah, seebsdx but seconding @TwoBrokenMirrors on jazz. It's just rambly enough to upset my brain.

Now, dubstep. Dubstep makes me nauseous.

Who knows why, because I love hilariously discordant industrial music, but jazz and dubstep... nope.

6. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

"Modern", "artsy"-type music (the pretentious kind that may or may not have started as an orchestra piece until someone added a small dog) confuses my brain so much.

[​IMG]

(An exaggerated example.)

7. Morven

Morven In darkness be the sound and light

The way I tend to understand jazz is that it's improvising the accompaniment to an imaginary melody and rhythm. Which makes it a little more understandable to me.

• Like x 1
  8. pixels

pixels hiatus / only back to vent

All of this just reminds me of Mike Birbiglia's moment in his comedy special where he compares jokes falling flat to really bad freeform jazz tenor sax solos and yeah. (Clip isn't on YouTube or I'd share it right now.)

I think I got desensitized to the flavor of jazz because I grew up with a brother who played the alto sax for... well, he still plays it now and he started maybe 11 years ago. I can listen to pre-recorded jazz and I'm fine, but at live performances I get... I don't know if anxious is the right word, but keyed up/anticipatory/on edge, because I don't know where the musician is going with all this.

9. Vacuum Energy

Vacuum Energy waterwheel on the stream of entropy

I tried performing freeform jazz, actually, once. I was learning the rest of the song by ear from a CD, and ended up just copying the CD artist's performance. Deviating from what had been recorded just seemed wrong. So it didn't go terribly well, but I don't think anyone noticed.

10. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I think she was asking about any music in general making one nauseous, and not just jazz. xD

But thanks for all the responses ^^

Edit: I think it may have been bad wording on my part, not making the question open enough. xD

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  11. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I don't think there's any music that makes me nauseous. Metal makes me want to punch someone though :P All the sounds are too annoying.

12. albedo

albedo metasperg

@Emma Aw, but they're all screamy and discordant and distorted!

This is a joke, I'm amused because the annoying sounds actually calm me down. XD

13. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I get dizzy and nauseous after a few minutes of dubstep. Which is a shame - I don't dislike the music, I just can't listen to it!

14. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

that's interesting because where some more chaotic metals subgenres and stuff like experimental jazz throw me for a loop, dubstep is SUCH FUN TO DISSECT WITH MY BRAIN
    like i love heavily layered electronic music its great for my mind when its running in circles because its something to do and concentrate on that I can almost always get my brain to do

• Like x 1
  15. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I would really like to know what's going on in my brain when this happens. My best guess is that the "wub-wub" sounds that are characteristic of dubstep are similar to an auditory effect I get when I'm actually about to pass out, and my brain is getting some wires crossed between cause and effect?

I don't deal too well with loud thump-y bass either - my chest gets painfully tight and I feel like I can't breathe properly. Who knows what that's about. Brains are weird.

16. prismaticvoid

prismaticvoid Too Too Abstract

I used to get really wigged out whenever I had to be in a room with speakers when something with a heavy bass beat was playing. The best description I could ever manage of why was "it feels like it's trying to beat my heart for me"
    I don't think it happens anymore but also I tend to avoid the sort of situations where it would be happening, so idk.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice