friendships ending without bpd

Discussion in 'General Advice' started by townghost, Sep 10, 2019.

1. townghost

townghost mystery crab

i just wanted to ask as a person with bpd what it's like to lose a friend you didn't want to. please tell me about your emotional experience.

friendships ending
    letting go
    watching someone drift away
    being a temporary friend

what emotions do you go through

2. whyguy

whyguy blarg

with the sort of friendships that end gradually, I've tended to feel a good amount of guilt for not reaching out more. historically, I've had a hard time remembering that this sort of thing is a two to tango situation and tended to blame myself mostly, but I've gotten a little better at putting things into perspective the last couple years

the friendships that have ended because of a specific issue, I tend to feel some combination of sad and fear, often a fear of being made to justify my discomfort. also sometimes relief, if I was especially stressed out. I don't have bpd, but I do have a tendency toward codependence, so it's easy for me to wind up in situations where I offer way more of myself than is actually good for me, and it takes a while for me to figure out that it's actually affecting me.

I'm mostly alright with situations where I'm friends with someone temporarily, like for instance at a summer camp or something. I feel a little sad to not be around them anymore, and wistful, but mostly I am just glad I have the memory.

I hope that helps!

• Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice